SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Silhouettes

BMC,

I want you to look close at these pics. I sponsored a silhouette sidematch at Ambush shooting at 50 yds. from the bench with iron (open) sights.

We had two categories. The first time you shot was the "I won it" and after that was the "I bought it". In the IBI you could shoot all you want till you got the best score. Well, I got lucky and won the IWI category with a score of 7x8. Those three gents you see shot 8x8 in the IBI. I shot seven 7x8 and never got an 8x8 so I never got into the shoot off. Those three shooters were so good that we let them shoot it off standing at 50 yds and had to have 3 shoot offs. They hit 6 out of 8 standing then 5 and the winner hit 5 and the runner up hit 4. It was and exciting shoot off. Zoom in on the little targets and see just how small the last little chicken is. This same sidematch will be shot again next year. I will sponsor it again. BTW I won it with a Marlin 39A special edition gold inlaid 22.

CC

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/033.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/032.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/031.jpg

Dang it Cherokee. You get me lusting after a shoot like that. I have my 39 AS slicked up and raring to go.

If the distance and circumstances were not what they are, I try to give you a run for them chickens. :lol: :lol:

As soon as they open the range again, we have a fire shut down due to the dry conditions lately.

Since it is raining hard right now, I would suspect that the range will reopen next week. Then I will

take it to the table and see what she will do with what ammunition.

Believe me this is so much fun that I look forward to it every year. Question is--how can I improve on the sidematch to keep everyone's interest?

Some shooters are afraid they will be embarrassed about their shooting. Who cares. This is a FUN sidematch.

Here are the rules:

50 yds. Open sights no peep sights may use front and back rest 5 minute warm up on swinger 5 minute time limit to shoot 8 targets 4 were regular size and 4 were mini a turned target is not a hit target must fall does not have to fall off of stand but must fall

Price: $15 ticket shoot any and all sidematches all you want

$l.00 per shoot without ticket

From the bench I think you will do quite well.

I heard that he had purchased a laser/radar guidance sighting system from the US military.

Has it mounted in the magazine tube on the 39 A.

Naw BMC, ole CC got a Crimson Trace laser site side mounted on his stock but it uses a speshul type of laser light only visibull wif those speshul shooting glasses he got's mounted on his nose. Of course those speshul shootin' glasses got a scope mounted in dem too :)

(Not that ole CC ain't a gamer but he STACKS da deck in his favor ever' chance he gets)

Naw BMC, ole CC got a Crimson Trace laser site side mounted on his stock but it uses a speshul type of laser light only visibull wif those speshul shooting glasses he got's mounted on his nose. Of course those speshul shootin' glasses got a scope mounted in dem too :)

(Not that ole CC ain't a gamer but he STACKS da deck in his favor ever' chance he gets)

You noted that also! :lol: :lol:

YHS,

Our Ram is not that big. Our chicken is a quarter size target and I would venture to say that the pig and turkey are exaggerated in size. CHeAT? ME?

Well heck yes. Why play a game if you can't cheat. No, I didn't. (I have a bionic eye)

BMC,

We shoot from the bench. Didn't you read my rules? The shoot off was standing. Only because those 3 shooters were snipers.

I was using this.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/marlin004.jpg

That is some pretty impressive hardware, Charlie. My plain Jane guns ain't in that class. They just shoot gooden. I got my new hammer spring today from Custom JP Products. I will try to get it installed this week and maybe by then they will have raised the fire ban on the range.

I just came by a new Golden 39A. I am not really trying to sell it but if someone want it I may. They are collector's items now. Hold on to what you have.

I also have a Marlin 39 Texan. It is a sweet one.

You are correct about the collector thingy, Cherokee. I have seen a few but most are basket cases and try to find a new issue. Of course since Remington took over the operation at Marlin, there have been serious issues. I would not be surprised to see them cease production of one of America's best selling rifles. Go figure.

I am certain that yours didn't come from the factory with all the engraving and those two tree rats on it.

What an ugllllly gun. All scratched up like that. And it looks like you spilled egg yoke on the receiver.

Don't you ever clean your guns? :rolleyes:

10/16/2012 Update:

Cherokee, I sent you a PM

It is the Sportsmen for Conservation it has a half round/half octagon barrel and has the gold writing on the other side. It is really a beautiful gun.

It is the Sportsmen for Conservation it has a half round/half octagon barrel and has the gold writing on the other side. It is really a beautiful gun.

It truly is! Marlins, not Remlins, will continue to increase in value. Marlin has made some of the best quality and prettiest rifles ever!

What a shame if we lose that touch. Both of my Marlins are great rifles. From what I see and hear, the newer ones are shames of what they once were. Poor QC and rifles leaving the factory that never should have. Sad state of affairs. Just another industry that we have let go offshore. The Chinese and Italians seem to be doing ok with it. IIRC even Colt has moved to other manufacturing facilities offshore.

Life as we knew it.

Yep. I sure am happy with my 39 AS this morning. Only drag I can find now is on the bolt/hammer face on cocking. I suspect that it has to do with the rebound hammer and I am not sure what, if anything can be done with that issue. Even if there is a fix I am not certain I would want to alter the rifle further.

Now if it shoots like it feels, I'm good. :)

Hey Sam, you ever shot cowboy silhouette?

I ain't but I would like to try it. Maybe small bore.

Iffn I could swing It, I would like to visit Ambush and take part in Cherokee's small bore side match.

Don't think that is likely to happen tho.

Archived