SASS Wire Forum

S&W New Model 3 and the .38-44

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Okay...

Apparently, there were two cartridges called the .38-44. The newer, more well known one, used the same case as the .38 Special, but was loaded to what we would today call +P type pressures. With the introduction of the .357 magnum, this cartridge became quickly obsolete.

But, there was also something called the .38-44 that was a chambering in the New Model 3 revolvers.

I have not been able to find any realy info on this round, other than that it was one of the calbers for those big old top breaks.

Until today...

In another forum, someone basically described it as a .38 S&W with a case made longer than the .357 maximum. They said Colt chambered the SAA for the round, but merely marked the guns so chambered as ".38 S&W"

In a nutshell, this is intriguing to me. Is the old .38-44 just a lengthened .38 S&W, the way the .357 Mag is just a lengthened .38 Long Colt, and if so, does that mean that .38 S&W ammo could be used in a .38-44 revolver.

I am hopeing that someone here might know the answer.

:FlagAm:

I hope I can shed a littel light on this and I know there are more pards out there that can add more details.

First the .38-44 model 3 you refer to would be the New Model 3 Target. This came in two types, one with a cylinder length of 1 9/16 and another 1 7/16. The brass was the full length of the cylynder loaded with a hollow base, lead bullet, seated flush with the case mouth over BP. The New Model 3 Target is fun to shoot and quit accurate. FYI, there was also a .32-44 New Model 3 Target

Second the 38-44 you refer to would be the 38-44 Heavy Duty / Outdoorsman (adjustable sites) built on the 44 hand ejector frame

I hope this has given you at least little more info to continue your research

Howdy HK

Here are a couple of pages from a reprint of a turn of the Century S&W catalog.

The first page shows a revolver that S&W is calling the 44 Single Action Russian Model. No, it is not a Russian model as we know it, it is a New Model Number Three. But S&W sometimes called this model the 'russian' model because that was the principal chambering of the gun.

Catalog Page

The next page shows the cartridges the gun was chambered for. There is a description of the 38-44 cartridge as well as the 32-44 cartridge. In both cases, the first number denotes the caliber. the '44' in each name stands for the most common caliber the New Model Number Three was chambered for, 44 Russian.

Cartridges

The 38-44 cartridge was the preferred cartridge of late 19th Century S&W target shooters. Mike Venturino has written that records were set with that cartridge in the New Model #3 that still stand today. Quite a feat if you have ever sighted in a New Model #3 with its skinny little sights. Even the target sights were miniscule. I have read that the cartridge was very accurate because it extended the full length of the cylinder, there was no chamber throat at all. The bullet exited the cartridge case directly into the forcing cone.

Here is a photo of my New Model Number Three, chambered for 44 Russian.

My New Model Number Three

In a rare flash of insight, I sent an e-mail inquiry to Smith & Wesson.

They confirmed for me that the older .38-44 is indeed a lengthened .38S&W and that the shorter round can be safely chambered and fired in New Model 3.

File this under "information that is good to know."

Archived