SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use a Marlin 32-20

Caboose

I have a friend new to cowboy shooting and his Marlin 32-20 has been to Long Hunter twice. He goes to a match and gets a jam right off the bat everytime. Anyone know what OAL works best for this gun and caliber or have any other suggestions beside getting a different rifle and caliber.

Sell it and buy a Uberti 73. My 73 has never failed me.

Agreed. I had a Marlin in 32-20, and had the same problems. Once back to Marlin and it still didn't work. Got rid of it and bought a '66 in 32-20. Hundreds and hundreds of rounds and never a hiccup.

But I have to also say that I have a Marlin in 45 Colt that has thousands of rounds through it, NEVER a malfunction and shoots excellently.

Bridger

I also have transitioned from Marlin to 73 for 32-20, but it was only to have common rifles for both 45 and 32-20. My Marlin 32-20 functioned flawlessly with OAL equal to factory ammo.

I certainly can't run one as fast as some people, however.

Caboose-I'm guessing that the "use it for a tomato stake and buy a 73" type answers are not only unhelpful but unwanted.

I think I ran the shoot Saturday where your friends gun jammed (Moose Jaw right?) I was too busy to look at it but some pards looked, the consensus was some of it looked like the classic Marlin "jam" and some may have been because of cartridge length. It does seem to be a very finicky rifle.

I'm guessing that Longhunter probably had it running, maybe find out the type of the ammo he used to try it out would be helpful. Have Moosejaw check the length and compare with the lengths already posted on this thread, be a good start.

By the way Moose Jaw and Lady Marion shot very well, much better than last time.

Doc

Archived