SASS Wire Forum

CCW practice....do you practice acquisition?

Korupt Karl

I know that many of us practice with our CCW pistol and can acquire and hit our intended target, but do you practice acquisition of your gun from sitting, standing and a variety of situations? A good drill is to do one shot or two shot drills....drawing your gun while sitting in a chair is a good one to try. Also, have you ever tried acquiring while sitting in your car with the seat belt on. I would recommend practicing with an unloaded gun what it takes to draw your gun in this situation....or find it's necessary to have the gun staged within the car in an underdash holster, the console or under a hat on the adjacent seat.

How do you practice? ....what works for you?

KK

The few times I've practiced I've done what you said. Empty gun, from several postions. My problem is that with my carry gun it's very difficult to get to in the car if it is holstered. Luckily I have a center console that is large enough for it. So I practice retrieving it from there. But I don't get a chance to practice as much as I'd like.

Do NOT put yer emergency threat management tool under yer hat in the passenger seat. If you have to hit the brakes it goes flying to the front of the footwell out of your immediate reach.

This is what happened to one of the FBI agents in the Miami shoot-out. He did not survive very long to regret that decision.

The ETMT should always be carried to the rear of the strong side hip. Basically just above the back pants pocket. Do not worry about being able to retrieve it when the SHTF. It comes out almost as quick and easy when seat-belted as when standing. We practiced doing it in one of my former departments and the seat belt is no impediment. The cover garment is more an impediment but under stress it can be ripped away. At that moment I am not worried about tearing the garment to pieces or popping all the buttons off.

Back-ups can be carried in front pockets or ankle holsters or whatever but the main ETMT needs to be always carried where the strong hand falls right on it. Always.

+1 on carrying a knife. A big knife. As big as the law allows. I carry a Cold Steel Kobun fixed blade tanto for two reasons. It is an excellent fighter and the blade conforms to the Texas 5.5 inch legal blade length for public carry. If the law allowed it would be a longer blade fixed blade. Folders are ok but only for back-up. The main knife needs to be a fixed blade.

I usually carry at least 2 guns and 3 knives. A 45 and a smaller back-up, the Kobun and a large Spyderco folder or switchblade. Also pepper spray, a Taser and a 31" air weight asp.

Options and back-ups are your friends.

Remember rule one: two guns is one gun, one gun is no gun.

For those looking for training DVDs or ideas, check out Michael Bane's "Make Ready with Michael Bane - Concealed Carry'

I've not had a chance to view it, but knowing Wolf Bane and having heard quite a bit about the DVD, I think that it would be a valuable resource.

Some of the major holster manufacturers make a cross draw holster to fit many different makes & models that are worn between the side & navel. These are excellent for driving as you can draw your gun quickly w/o the seatbelt impeding your draw while seated behind the wheel, and they're quite comfortable. Some strong side holsters can be worn cross draw while driving. Just need a butt rearward muzzle forward cant.

Seat belts do not impede strong side draw at all. I thought it would until I was shown different. In training I was even able to do it with a Safariland SSIII triple retention duty holster which the gun has to come out to the rear with no problemo. Seat belts are just not an issue with strong side carry.

My preferred carry for the Colt New Agent or Officers Model is behind the right hip, IWB, butt forward in kind of a modified Tight Rope. I frequently wear oversized girly-guy type vests if out-about and these offer good concealment in the summer heat. The wife says she is going to bury me in an oversized t-shirt because thats what I wear all of the time BUT carry is actually a big part of this. I always buy my Ts oversized with the long tales and wear them untucked. Though a bit sloppy looking it still looks like a natural dress for those of us who live in the rural areas of the south. One of my favorite Kytac holsters ( http://www.kytac.com/ ) can ride inside the mouth of my jeans pocket while being concealed very well by the T, plus offers extreme comfort.

Last thoughts on the holsters as they are as important to the concealment package as is the gun. At one time or another over the last fifty years I have ripped off and copied just about all of the big name makers best concealment models and there have been a few excellent ones but for practical carry, I use the Kytac products linked to above. Most kydex holsters are actually to junky and gimmicky to work for me but I have multiple units made by Kytac and consider it the best with at least a couple of models that are over fifteen years old and still look new. Overpriced, yes, simple looking, yes but in this case everything that matters is there and the rest is what you pay good money to get him to eliminate.

Do NOT put yer emergency threat management tool under yer hat in the passenger seat. If you have to hit the brakes it goes flying to the front of the footwell out of your immediate reach.

This is what happened to one of the FBI agents in the Miami shoot-out. He did not survive very long to regret that decision.

The ETMT should always be carried to the rear of the strong side hip. Basically just above the back pants pocket. Do not worry about being able to retrieve it when the SHTF. It comes out almost as quick and easy when seat-belted as when standing. We practiced doing it in one of my former departments and the seat belt is no impediment. The cover garment is more an impediment but under stress it can be ripped away. At that moment I am not worried about tearing the garment to pieces or popping all the buttons off.

Back-ups can be carried in front pockets or ankle holsters or whatever but the main ETMT needs to be always carried where the strong hand falls right on it. Always.

+1 on carrying a knife. A big knife. As big as the law allows. I carry a Cold Steel Kobun fixed blade tanto for two reasons. It is an excellent fighter and the blade conforms to the Texas 5.5 inch legal blade length for public carry. If the law allowed it would be a longer blade fixed blade. Folders are ok but only for back-up. The main knife needs to be a fixed blade.

I usually carry at least 2 guns and 3 knives. A 45 and a smaller back-up, the Kobun and a large Spyderco folder or switchblade. Also pepper spray, a Taser and a 31" air weight asp.

Options and back-ups are your friends.

Remember rule one: two guns is one gun, one gun is no gun.

What a load of bulls**t.

Routine is put holster on, holster matching weapon, draw to make sure holster is secure. Go about business. I have on more than one occasion had a paddle holster that was not secured and upon the draw drew the holster as well. :blush: Gotta check your gear. ;)

Seat belts do not impede strong side draw at all. I thought it would until I was shown different. In training I was even able to do it with a Safariland SSIII triple retention duty holster which the gun has to come out to the rear with no problemo. Seat belts are just not an issue with strong side carry.

Good point....and by no means did I suggest that the seatbelt was going to be a problem....I was merely saying that before you have to count on it....do the due diligence and try drawing the gun in different positions and in different situations. Know what's going to happen ahead of time from your end.

In the summer I went to Lowe's with a friend....I asked if he was packing....he said yes....and since he was wearing a tucked in, shortsleeved buttoned shirt I asked where as I could not see a footprint. He said he was wearing a shoulder holster....I said you've got to be kidding....He said " I'll tear open the shirt and worry about the buttons later"... a point well taken....if you need it, it will be there.

kk

What a load of bulls**t.

Really? Ok, how so? I'll bite and I'm sure others as well would like to hear you expound on your sage pronouncement.

Meanwhile: sez you. Yo momma wears army boots.

I stand by all my advice. With one addition: always carry a small powerful Surefire or Streamlight flashlight.

I have no problem drawing my 10 1/2" buntline Ruger Old Army from by Buskalerro holster while seating in my Smart Car while traveling on the Most Desolite Highway in Nevada while traveling at 80mph to engage the highjacking desperado traveling opposite direction on the mule.... What is your guys problem? :angry:

its a joke

Archived