SASS Wire Forum

Question regarding 1911 mags

Clay Mosby

I have a question regarding how long i should keep a mag for a 1911 loaded before removing the rounds and letting the spring relax?

I know after a time if a spring is kept compressed, it'll take a set.

I don't get a chance to shoot it often enough, but keep it handy since our neighborhood isn't always the friendliest.

Thanks in advance for any info.

No it won't. Old Wives' Tale. Springs fail by being worked. Or by being compressed or expanded beyond their working capacity. Loaded magazines have been found from WW2, loaded into guns and fired, with no problems. Leave 'em loaded and don't worry about it.

There's always some debate about spring 'set'. I've read articles about magazines that have been found that were loaded in the 1930's that 70 years later performed flawlessly. Spring fatigue and failure comes from the spring actually being worked, not sitting idle and under compression.

If springs failed because of having a load on them, your car would be sitting with its frame on the ground by now.

No it won't. Old Wives' Tale. Springs fail by being worked. Or by being compressed or expanded beyond their working capacity. Loaded magazines have been found from WW2, loaded into guns and fired, with no problems. Leave 'em loaded and don't worry about it.

Mags and loaded 1911s have been left in dresser drawers for decades fully loaded and still function fine.

Not an issue.

That "Spring taking a set" is a myth based on 1930's era springs. Today's springs might set slightly but they don't become useless. I have fired and emptied 1911 magazines that have been loaded fully for 35 years that I know of and no malfunctions.

Personally, I don't like my mags to remain loaded much over thirty-five years. As a result, every thirty-five years, if I haven't shot that particular magazine, I'll take it out, shoot it, reload it, and then let it sit for another thirty-five years. So far, this system has seemed to work for me. YMMV ;)

Archived