SASS Wire Forum

My 1866 needs help.

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

I first want to say that I bought this rifle almost ten years ago from a former gunsmith who has passed. The gun belong to him and he had done alot of work on it himself. Its ran flawless for almost 10 years. The last couple of shoots its went south on me and now I need a doctor to get it back up and running. It may be wore out but I dought it. So where can I send it and not be without it for 10 months. I might even consider a short stroke? So I would like to hear from others that run 66s and have good luck.

Thanks for your opinions

Deacon Stone

Deacon,

There are several good "smith's" around. Ask locally first, the closer to home the faster you get service I find.

Also, closer is cheaper for sending things back and forth.

If you can't find a local or a good reference, I do that work out in Oregon.

Ol' #4

I ran my 66 (44WCF) for 19 years without any work. In March I had a short stroke job done by JIM BOWIE of COWBOYS AND INDIANS. IT'S GREAT, GOOD JOB. He's in Santa Ana, Ca., and is the best with cowboy guns.

TF

It started out not wanting to extract or even feed a case. It would go almost all the way in and then lock up. You could push the lever back and the bolt would slide back but without the case. You can slide a new case all the way in with out the bolt. But push the bolt up to ingage the extractor and it will not grab and the lever locks up tight. So at the shoot this week we were blessed to have a good gunsmith with us and he suggested a new bolt and put the new bolt in and then things really seem to go south on me. It had more problem then I can talk about. He worked on alot of guns this weekend and he had no problem with them. But man mine just seem to be the gun from hell. I know he had to have taken it apart at least a dozen time. I felt bad for him couse it was driven him crazy so I just put it up and figured I would send it off to see if it was worth saving.

Deacon Stone

Part of your current problem may be different versions of the Uberti guns. They have made minor changes over the years so sometimes the newer parts won't fit.

Also, the breech block (which has the extractor) can also vary. I got a new one (supposed to be the same generation) for my 73 and the replacement was short enough to cause head space problems.

Common problems are worn or really dirty extractors, worn or bent elevator rod or finger lever which messes up timing.

Ask your local pards for some gunsmiths. Ol #4 is good as is Pioneer Gunworks. Cowboys and Indian are well known as well, plus some on the East coast as well. You need someone who is not only good at tuning the gun but good at diagnosing problems. Not everyone can do both well.

Deacon,

Did you notice any unusual ammo effect?

Like firing through a squib, or a double charged round?

Does you barrel have a 'bulge' in it?

I can't imagine after 10 years it would just crash in an instant.

Ol' #4

No squib. No Bulg that I know of. I shoot black powder. I know theres some lead or fouling in the barrel but a live round slides in without any problem and I done alot to keep the chamber as clean as possible. I'm sure the timing is off and just needs to have a good 66 doctor take it and spend some time to get it back in time. I hope.

Deacon Stone

Archived