SASS Wire Forum

Butt Plate for 73

Bart Solo

I seem to have a difficult time smoothly mounting the crescent shaped butt plate on my 73. I have been thinking about replacing it with a straight shotgun style butt plate like the one found on the Beretta Renegade. Cutting the stock seems straight forward, but does anybody know where I can find a butt plate to replace the curved one? In the alternative I might simply replace the current butt stock with a Renegade style stock if I can find one.

If you find a "plug and play" butt plate to replace the crescent one with a regular straight one I'd be interested in one as well. The alternative is to either cut a piece of stock wood to fit in the existing stock that would straighten it out and then put a some type of buttstock cover on it....or saw off the stock....hate to do that to such a nice piece.

Brownell's and Midway have flat buttplates and thin recoil pads. Once you cut the stock, you will have to fit the buttplate to the stock. Once you get the plate mounted, tape off the stock to protect the finish and sand the buttplate or recoil pad until it's even with the stock.

Here are some examples

I have found a replacement buttstock with a shotgun profile on line. I might buy one, fit it to the rifle and use a generic light weight recoil paid as the butt plate. I will probably wait until the fall to do the work since I am going to be shooting most weekends until then. I have a buttstock cover, but had to remove it after a rain last fall. I haven't put it back on yet, but it wasn't all that effective. I know a lot of women especially who have had to shorten their stocks have merely cut the stock and shoot it without a butt plate. Apparently straight style butt plates aren't easy to find. That is why I posted my question.

I know that a lot of the fast shooters use the shotgun style stock and wonder if they simply cut their crescent shaped stocks themselves. Since rapid mounting is really important in this game, the shotgun style stock makes a lot of sense to me.

Bart,

If it is just the point at the heel (top of the stock) that is causing you problems, there is a lot of "meat" there that can be sanded or ground off. A little cold blue and you're good to go. I went a little farther I also reshaped the butt plate by clamping it in a vise with hard wood spacers flattening it for it's entire length. I cut the stock to fit the new shape and refit the butt plate. I glued some suede leather on the butt plate and am very happy with the results.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Archived