SASS Wire Forum

Way Back Machine

Big Jake1001

Back in 1985 when we only shot 3 guns for CAS, Rifles in 30-30 and 38-55, 45-70 were allowed. Handguns were started out of holster and held in the hand aimed down at the ground @ 45 degree angle. On the BEEP, you raised the gun and started shooting.

Rifles held 7 rounds and were timed with a real stop watch. On the "GO" no beep cuz there were no timers, you started shooting. After shooting your 7 rounds, you would Yell "STOP" and the guy with the stop watch would push the button. You would load the 3

remaining rounds and yell "GO" The watch was started and you finished the rifle and grabbed your shotgun and blasted the rest of the stage.

The targets were made of poured or cast steel and took a beating. Pock marked with craters and dimples, corners were bent back with shotgun blasts. After a while, we started getting bounce backs and ricochets with half jacketed ammo. Lead only came about because of this. Someone came up with the idea of AR (abrasion resistant) steel for shotgun targets. Later handgun and rifle targets changed too.

Nobody cared if they got beat or won by a couple of seconds, cuz we were having FUN. Pro timers came into the game and now every hundredth of seconds counted and It changed the way we played the "GAME" 180 rule was safe and no-one had a gun cart. Handgun was in the holster, rifle and shotgun were carried and balanced on the toe of yer boot while waiting in line to shoot. No such thing as procedural back then. Just remembering the way it was.

Big Jake

Jake,

Thanks for setting the memory. I certainly wish I'd been a part of it then (can't beleive I didn't hear avbout it somehow).

I tend to enjoy the throwback matches (Thunder Valley comes to mind, as an example) or the one or two stages per match that I see that way today, but I have to say that I do enjoy the variety we have today.

It seems we have some matches that are very skewed one way (the majority) or the other (the few), and we can choose to go to either or both or them; Or in the case of my region and club, we have events with one focus or the other, or in some cases, a monthly that has a mixture of "stand and deliver" and "oldies" at the same time.

I like the variety, but I cherish the history. We need to keep it alive at some level, even as we evolve well beyond those on the wire today.

Harvey

and only had dirt sandwiches but were glad to get them.

One time at Coto de Caza where we had monthly shoots and End of Trail, we got an old white cast iron claw foot bathtub. Sidewinder #26 donated it to the club. It had a slant back and was about 5 1/2 feet long. You had to sit in the tub and there was a board across the tub with mirror, razor ,soap, and your handgun. You had to shoot the handgun from the sitting position in the tub.

I'm 6'6" and about 300+ lbs, so when I got in the tub and sat down, it was kinda tight. I had to bend my knees and move the board for more room. When I sat back in the tub, I popped a wheelie :lol:. The front of the tub was 45 degrees up in the air, and I was looking at the sky yelling for help. Everyone was laughing so hard, it took 2-3 guys to push the front of the tub down. Someone had to sit on the front of the tub for ballast while I shot the stage, it was done safely :).

Out at West End Gun Club they had 6 airplane inner-tubes inflated covered with a big Blue tarp. On the tarp was a Rowboat with ores. You had to sit in the boat and shoot all 3 guns while 2 guys were stepping on a board running full length under the boat making it rock like it was in the water. Fun stuff for sure. It wasn't easy hitting targets while rocking in the boat. Nobody complained it wasn't FAIR.

Big Jake

I'm looking forward to the next instalment of Mr. Peabody and his boy, Sherman... Peabody's Improbable History.

I'm not asking anyone to shoot these stages today, we couldn't get in and out of the boat or tub. Too old and fat to do stuff like that now. These are just for entertainment purposes and History of the game for those who don't know. Game has changed and will never go back again. It's OK, don't hang the story teller.

Big Jake

Archived