SASS Wire Forum

Smith & Wesson 357 mag

Connecticut Yankee

Hi Pards

I am sorry i have to do this but i am away from home and have an oppertunity to buy a SW 357 mag in SS 6-6 1/2 barrel model 686 made in 1975 in about 95-98% condition and do not have my gun values book with me. If someone out there has one handy could you give me the highs and lows of this gun as i am thinking of buying it and want to be fair with the seller.

Thanks

Connecticut Yankee

Howdy

According to the SCSW the model 686 was first made in 1980. The seven shot cylinder was first offered in 1995.

When the 3rd edition of the SCSW was published in 2006 the ANIB value was listed at $500, Exc $425, VG $375, Good $225, and Fair $185.

Those values may or may not be current, or valid in all locations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_686

The info appears to be pretty accurate. The older grips used the larger metal grip frame which did not fit everyone very well. The newer grip is much more versatile.

Hi Pards

I am sorry i have to do this but i am away from home and have an oppertunity to buy a SW 357 mag in SS 6-6 1/2 barrel model 686 made in 1975 in about 95-98% condition and do not have my gun values book with me. If someone out there has one handy could you give me the highs and lows of this gun as i am thinking of buying it and want to be fair with the seller.

Thanks

Connecticut Yankee

From my BBoFV

Grading

100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%

$615 $485 $360 $275 $225 $195 $165

MSR $932

If it's a 686 (the manufacture date makes me hesitant), I'd pay $400-$500, depending on how bad you wanted it. I've had one since 1983 and absolutely love it. It was tuned by a gunsmith friend and is absolutely the smoothest shooting pistol I own, bar none.

Archived