SASS Wire Forum

defence loads

jake hawks

Just wanted to ask if a Cimmaron thunder in 45colt could withstand Hornady's45 colt225 leverevlution round or is it not sound enough? thinking of using for car gun but not a carry gun. I have one in 3 1/2 just right for seat gun. thanks

Check with Hornady to be sure, but I believe they are standard 45 pressure rounds so your revolver should be able to handle them.

The leverevolution rounds were made to optimize the tubular magazine rifles. I'm sure they work great with a pistol though and the controlled expansion should work well. I can't say if they are the very best for self defense, but I think they would be pretty good.

I found this from Hornandy http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/Critical%20Defense-Personal%20Defense%20Breakthrough.pdf They state that the polymer nose tip in their Critical Defense is a softer material than that of their FTX used in the LeveRevolution round.

They do offer a Critical Defense round in 45 colt http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Colt-185-GR-FTX-Critical-Defense/ Adios Sgt. Jake

Howdy, Pards,

Just a word of caution: Use whatever ammo or as close to it as your local law enforcement agency uses. That will help you if you are ever hauled into court for the use of "excessive force" or "bullets intended to cause great bodily harm" by survivors of an incident.

Happy Holidays, all! Welcome home to those back from Iraq. Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Take a look at Winchester Silvertips. They have a long successful track record. A trip to the range with a couple boxes of Hornady Critical Defense and Winchester Silvertips would be fun and informative.

Archived