SASS Wire Forum

Colt question

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

Was in a pawn shop the other day, they were cleaning what they said was a 1874 Colt....nice condition,,,,44 special, made in 1884 i think....

Any information would be appreciated

Cheyenne

No, I don't know the price, yet. ^_^

44 Special was introduced by Smith & Wesson in 1907. If I remember correctly in was a few years later before Colt offered it in the Model P. I'm no Colt expert by any stretch , but I've never heard of a Model 1874.

Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Good luck , Rex :D

The 1873 Colt Single Action Army (also known as the Model P). Colt didn't make a Model 1874. In 1890 Colt offered the Model P chambered in .44 S&W (aka .44 S&W American). Colt didn't offer the Model P in .44 S&W Special until 1913. If the Colt was made in 1884 the only .44 caliber offering available was .44WCF (.44-40).

Are you sure it wasn't a .44 WCF maybe?

LG

The Colt Frontier or Frontier Six-Shooter was a Colt's 1873 "Model P", manufactured in .44-40 Winchester caliber, so as to be cross-compatible with Winchester Model 73 ammunition. Production began 1877. So a SAA in .44-40 from 1884 wouldn't be rare... or someone rechambered it. Gun shops, let alone pawn shops are notoriously BAD places to get accurate information from.

Never satisfied with the easy answer, I found the following reference:

After the succes of the Colt Single Action Army and Colt's conversion of existing percussion revolvers to Richards-Mason conversions, Mason went on to design Colt's smallest revolver, "The New Line" in 1874. There were 5 variants , each differing in size and caliber, but all using a breechblock designed by Mason

More research maybe needed. Good luck. Oh yeah, his name was William Mason, January 30, 1837 - July 17, 1913

What ever this one is it has a firing pin such as the Ruger set up but without the transfer bar of course..it's not 44wcf, I will have to go back and get my own hands on it to get more info.... :blush:

thanks

cheyenne :)

What ever this one is it has a firing pin such as the Ruger set up but without the transfer bar of course..it's not 44wcf, I will have to go back and get my own hands on it to get more info.... :blush:

thanks

cheyenne :)

Cheyenne - Take a camera with you.

Archived