SASS Wire Forum

97 locked back in open position

Tulsey, SASS#11236

My brother-in-law was shooting our match the other day when his Winchester 97 locked back in the open position. He told me he was going to go home and tear it down to try to find out what happened. He said later all the information he had was tearing down the 97 from the closed position. It has been a while since I tore down a 97 so any advice or pointers on what has happened would be appreciated. The slide arm has not come off. You can feel it against the bolt. The bolt will just not come forward. thanks

Happened to me. I was rapidly dry cycling the gun to see if I'd cured another problem. Locked the gun up with the bolt back.

Jim Bowie (God's gift to Cowboy guns) diagnosed the problem: the extractor assembly spring had weakened and allow the bolt to jump slightly out of alignment. He used his thumb to push and maneuver the bolt back into proper place. The long term fix was his extractor assembly that has a spring made out of tool steel. Not cheap, but my 97 sings again!

Another cause - the cartridge guide (shell flag) has ridden up over the cartridge guide stop screw, and jammed. This usually can be temporarily fixed by putting some pressure up on the carrier. If the stop screw is reinstalled at the wrong point during reassembly, this can happen. Or, lack of lubrication under the shell flag.

The real fix is often a new stop screw and straightening the shell flag out.

Good luck, GJ

Archived