SASS Wire Forum

Bicentennial Events coming up

War of 1812.

I hope the Brits don't burn down Washington again. I'm ok with putting the fires out and stuff but rebuilding would be too expensive.

Anybody want to lead the assault on Montreal? Watch the bombardment of Fort McHenry from the Bay?

I bet New Orleans has a real party. :lol: :lol:

War of 1812.

I hope the Brits don't burn down Washington again. I'm ok with putting the fires out and stuff but rebuilding would be too expensive.

I am not so sure that this is a bad idea. Might run some of the rats out.

Anybody want to lead the assault on Montreal? Watch the bombardment of Fort McHenry from the Bay?

I don't have a passport so Montreal is out for me, and I get sea sick so cancel Ft. McHenry also.

Looks like you are on you own there, Marshal.

I bet New Orleans has a real party. :lol: :lol:

N'Oleans ALWAYS has a party.

I just posted it fer the music, not the inaccurate lyrics. :rolleyes:

I, personally, liked that the army was lead by Old Hit Creek. That damn Yankee not only never heard of briar, or the word "nigh", but apparently never read a history book.

Thoughts about the war of 1812, part one;

What, exactly, was that war about anyway?

The U.S. claims to have won it. England claims to have won it. Did anbody win it?

There's a book about it named "The Dawns Early Light" that has a sort of different spin on things.

The Brits intended to attack Baltimore. They found out about it in Washington D.C., mustered a force and rode off to defend Baltimore. The British navy screwed up and sailed up to D.C. thinking it was Baltimore. They landed troops (The Royal Green Jackets) who marched to the White House unopposed because all the fighters had gone to Baltimore. The Brits entered the White House and found it set up for a banquuet to celebrate the American victory at Baltimore. They ate all the banquet food, drank the wine and had a grand old time, then got orders to return to the ships. One of the Brit bigwigs had figured out they were not really in Baltimore. On the way out of the White House they torched the place to let everyone know they'd been there. Then they sailed off. (They never did get to Baltimore.) The American fighters in Baltimoe figured out no one was coming and rode back to D.C. and tried to figure out what the hell had happened.

700 Kentucky riflmen marched to D.C. to join the fight. None of them had a gun. The army didn't have any extra guns so they told the Kentuckians they'd be a fighting reserve force, but withiut firearms. The Kentuckians said "We might be from the back woods but we're not idiots" and they marched back to Kentucky.

Archived