SASS Wire Forum

pocket pistol help needed.

evil dogooder

Ok I was at an auction today and rescued a little unloved pistol.

The problem is I have no idea what I bought. Or if it was a good deal. So any info would be greatly appreciated.

It has a 3" barrel, nickel plated, black plastic grips, double action, good rifling, id say abou 75% condition, 32 s&w ctge, serials 187xxx

Any idea when it was made? Does it shoot black powder only? is it safe with smokeless? Can I use it in side matches? Any idea what its worth

Thanks

Evil dogooder

I initially responded as a S&W; then realized it was an H&R. H&R made 1,300,000 of these between 1889 and 1940. Don't have a year/serial number for H&R, but it probably is a fairly early one.

Hope ya didn't pay too much for the pocket pistol, auctions usually can be good deals if it's something many aren't bidding on. $75-$100 is about right. Most were Black powder made guns unless made well into

the 20th century. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Its a top break. I only paid 80 out tthe door for it including transfer fees and buyers premium. To be honest I don't really have a use for it but nobody was bidding on it so I felt sorry for the little guy.

I've never even been to a big match so I don't know how the pocket pistol side matches work or if the gun is even legal for it.

I learned from this forum on an earlier thread about these guns that if you take the grips off and find a coil spring that it is safe for smokeless.

The guns that used a flat spring were all BP.

That's for the Iver Johnsons.

You can better identify your gun if you or a buddy has the Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. catalog. If it is a H&R, it could still be fairly recent. They were in biz 'till the 1980s. In fact, they are sorta' still in biz, being reorganized as NEF, IIRC.

Post some pics, maybe someone can identify it.

You can better identify your gun if you or a buddy has the Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. catalog. If it is a H&R, it could still be fairly recent. They were in biz 'till the 1980s. In fact, they are sorta' still in biz, being reorganized as NEF, IIRC.

Its a h&r. The estate auction had pictures of it and a model 3 long barreled s&w taken in 1918 but all the family knew was when the picture was taken the gentleman had just received his fathers old guns as it was written on the back of the frame of the pic.

Thanks for the help

Evil dogooder

H&R went under and was resurrected as H&R 1871. NEF was part of the latter. Handguns that carried over after the resurrection carried the NEF moniker. Marlin bought out the company and handguns were phased out. Now Remington has bought out Marlin and Marlin has gone to hell in a hand basket. Remington's plans for H&R/NEF remain to be seen but it appears they are phasing out the NEF moniker.

evil, ya say ya had to pay transfer fees at an estate auction? Don't seem kosher to me, but maybe that's cause I'm in Texas.

Here it depends on the auction house some require it some don't. Its legal not to as long as it's a private sale not corp

Archived