SASS Wire Forum

Video - Making .45-60 Brass for 1876 Rifle

This video was based on a request from one of my YouTube subscribers who has an 1876 rifle in .45-60 and wanted to know how to turn .45-70 brass into the more expensive .45-60 variety. This video demonstrates that operation and it gives an overview of the Winchester 1876 rifle.

One apology. In the video I keep saying .40-60 when I mean .45-60. I guess it is a Freudian slip because .40-60 is the best 1876 cartridge.

One apology. In the video I keep saying .40-60 when I mean .45-60. I guess it is a Freudian slip because .40-60 is the best 1876 cartridge.

Well...., That should get some lead flyin! :lol:

Duck! :D

Oklahoma Dee

You might add a slight caveat to the video. The process works for the Italian clones. However, original .45-60's had rims that were .010" thinner than the .45-70. My original won't close on a .45-70 case unless the rim has been thinned. Jamison brass in .45-60 has the correct rim thickness.

You might add a slight caveat to the video. The process works for the Italian clones. However, original .45-60's had rims that were .010" thinner than the .45-70. My original won't close on a .45-70 case unless the rim has been thinned. Jamison brass in .45-60 has the correct rim thickness.

Howdy, Pards,

My experience with an original as well. If that is the case with your individual rifle, the rims on .45-70 brass will need to be thinned from the frontof the rim. If one has access to a lathe, with a mandrel made from an expansion bolt chucked in the headstock, and a live-center in the tailstock, it is a simple matter to thin the rim. You can even use a file. (Of course, if you have a lathe, you can speed things up by using the toolpost with a cutter bit in it.)

Since most folks don't have a lathe, it probably will be a lot more expedient to simply buy the Buffalo arms brass.

However...I'd check the headspace of your original M1876. You might get lucky and have the headspace loose enough to take unmodified .45-70 brass. DO NOT force the action to close on a "try" case.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those in harms way in the defense of Freedom everywhere, and in the path of hurricane Irene! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

Thanks Larsen,

Maybe I should have mentioned the rim thickness. I had a whole scene on the 1876 family of cartridges, but I cut it from the final video in the interests of time, and because I had already provided way more info that the original question asked for.

All the Winchester 1876 cartridges (.40-60, .45-60, .45-75 and .50-95 Express) have Rim thickness specs of 0.062" to 0.065"

In contrast .45-70 specs call for rim thicknesses of 0.060" to 0.70", but in actual practice they seldom vary from 0.064" to 0.068"

Since Uberti (I can't speak for Chaparral) is using a chamber that allows a 0.068" rim I knew this wouldn't be an issue. The difference between 0.064" and 0.062" is so slight that firing pins have no trouble setting off primers in the thinner rimmed brass.

So the clones should not be an issue, though originals, especially if the chamber is at the shallow end of the 1876 specs, may not fully close on brass made from .45-70s.

Great points to bring out. Thanks.

Archived