SASS Wire Forum

Bisley Vaquero "catch", smiths please help.

jimmyb.1

I just purchased a set of slicked Bisley Vaqueros (not new model) that already had: short stroked, half cock, green magic hammer spring by Seven with one spacer added, altered transfer bar (I guess, b/c I can spin the cylinders at half cock) and the original??? trigger which has nearly a semi circle curve to it. Both actions were silky smooth when I got them. I broke each down to clean out the gunk inside and now one has a catch to it. The catch is immediate and stops the hammer when I try to pull the hammer back. The transfer bar is not hanging up below the firing pin. Sometimes I can power through the catch and cock the hammer and other times I must release the pressure on the hammer and try again. It seems to eliminate the catch if I twist the cylinder. I think the problem revolves around the cylinder latch and its possible timing. Im unsure what initially moves the cylinder latch to release the cylinder.

Ive disassembled enough Rugers to get them back together correctly but apparently not this time. Ive even tried tightening the five grip screws in a different order. Is there a point in the reassembly that I need to pay closer attention to? The tolerances in the timing must be razor thin but where could this catch be when all the internal parts are on or directly connected to one of two pins? I cleaned out a lot of gunk but did no stoning. Again, these things worked silky smooth b/f I took them apart. Maybe I need to add back the gunk?

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I dont know what else to do? - and no Im not going to sell them either. :rolleyes:

jimmy

Jimmy, as you start to cock the hammer the pawl should being moving up engaging the cylinder ratchet as the the plunger on the hammer should being pushing down on the cylinder latch. most short stroked pistols have a bit of material welded on the back of the cylinder latch to allow it to drop faster as it has to so the cylinder can move, everything is happening faster with a short stroked pistol. it sounds like the plunger is not doing its job, it could be bent. or like what Mantee said maybe you just didnt get the cylinder latch spring in the correct place. hope this is some help to you.

RR

it sounds like the plunger is not doing its job, it could be bent. or like what Mantee said maybe you just didnt get the cylinder latch spring in the correct place.

RR

Each of the "old" Vaquero short strokes were done a little differently by the gunsmiths who performed the work. To get the best results, a trip back to that original smith would be wise. I have a Ruger Bisley that had been done by Wes Fargo, and the plunger in the hammer snapped in two, letting the end of the plunger pop out. Behaved exactly like you described. He fabbed a new plunger in a few minutes and got me back on track at Winter Range last February. Most other smiths will provide the same kind of great service.

Good luck, GJ

If this is too obvious, feel free to ignore. I had the same problem one time with my pair of Vaqueros. I had cleaned both of them. I managed to swap the cylinders and had a similar problem until I switched them back.

Doc

:FlagAm:

Archived