SASS Wire Forum

Norinco 1887 Lever Action Shotgun

Aunt Jen

The '87s are time period correct even if they weren't in "The Wild Bunch" movie. The way that I have seen them run , they are certainly no faster than the '97s. The '87s do get style points.

I wish I could have seen the film clip at full speed. It is hard to tell how fast the shooter is really working the gun.

Howdy Aunt Jen,

My blushing bride, Merlot, shoots an '87 and loves it. It was worked over by Coyote Cap, has the "drop2" chambering kit, and he cut the stock to fit her length-of-pull. She does not shoot real fast (80-100 seconds/stage) but she has a hoot with that shotgun! And once she had the loading drill down she has gotten faster at the reloads. She prefers it over a sXs any time.

Just a note, it takes a long arm and some power to lever the gun, that's why we had it cut for her. I can't shoot it because the top of the receiver at the chamber is under my eye when I put it in my shoulder. That gives you some idea of how much the stock had to be cut. I'm an average guy as far as arm length goes. Anyway, you may want to try shooting one or at least fitting one in your shoulder and try levering it. You'll see what I mean.

Shakey

Aunt Jen

I shoot an 87 and have for several years. They do need to be set-up properly to run well. I am sure there are several people that can do it but the most popular is probably Lassiter. Because of the quality of work and the turn around time. Mine was done by Coyote Cap and I couldn't be happier with the gun or the workmanship.

All that being said there can be problems with this gun for women because of their smaller stature. The stock is extra long for most women and will need to be cut down. The other thing is the length of throw of the lever. Long lever throw compared to rifles and it should be considered when you cut down the stock.

Longer learning curve to get good with one but after that you can't have more style or fun with a shotgun.

Marlin(I :wub: my 87)Buckhorn

I too have a Norinco 1887.

I'de like to get it worked on as well to load 2 rounds.

Any suggestions on a gunsmith here in Canada? Major paperwork

hassle to send it south.

Arte et Marte

Ordnancebob

The '87s are time period correct even if they weren't in "The Wild Bunch" movie. The way that I have seen them run , they are certainly no faster than the '97s. The '87s do get style points.

I wish I could have seen the film clip at full speed. It is hard to tell how fast the shooter is really working the gun.

about 21.2 seconds in real speed,,,,,he were'nt in no hurry for sure.

I got one. Bought it from a pard that had it slicked up with the drop two mod. He decided it wasn't for him.

I figure if I shoot it a few more times I will have my cussing practiced up enough to play golf again.

I had a few pards that shoot the '87 run it. It ran like a scalded dog. About like the rest of my shooting. It's me and not the gun.

I thought about selling it but I decided to keep it just because it is different.

Archived