SASS Wire Forum

Zambini lube & blackpowder

Has anybody had any experience using Rooster Zambini lube with black powder? How well does it work as far as fouling?

Never had the spare time nor inclination to try a lube as hard as Rooster Zambini for BP, which needs a soft, moistening lube. Here's a wild prediction (from using Alox a few times in a pinch) - "it will be lousy - hard fouling that builds up quickly to the point of loosing any reasonable accuracy in a rifle after 10 or 20 shots."

Use SPG or Dick Dastardly's Pearl 2 or 50/50 crisco/beeswax or Bull Shop's NASA lube - all those work fine.

Good luck, GJ

If I'm not mistaken, Rooster lubes are the hard crayon types and they will fill your barrel with fouling within a cylinder full or two, causing a total loss of any hope of accuracy...

Ihave a few tubes of Rooster Red from years back. It will not melt in a double boiler for pan lubing. I looked up the specs, which are nearly identicle to the specs on the Rooster Red I have. It is a hard lube with a high melt temperature. "This lube requires that the lube-sizer have a heater..." is in the specs. This tells me that it will not work as a BP lube at all. Try some other product.

Rooster Laboratories Zambini Pistol-Rifle Lubrisizer Hollow Stick Bullet Lube. Preferred by Cowboy Action Shooters and Police Pistol Combat Competitors. The 220 degree F melting point keeps the lube where it belongs. We recommend you use a heated lubrisizer for best results. This will give you a firm tough bond with the bullet. For lead-free shooting at unlimited velocities. For rifle and pistol bullets.

Note the key words highlighted in Bold text ... indicates that it is for nitro based loads and can be used for reloads far in excess of black powder pressures. A black powder lube will melt at temperatures substantially less than 220 degrees depending on the composition of the ingredients

So, if anyone is using this lube for black powder reloads ... should recognize it is a smokeless powder lube and if using it for BP reloads ... BAD Move!

Recommend reading about the composition of any of the BP lubes here ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=450.0

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

ROOSTER RED IS HOT STUFF, but not for BP. :mellow:

If you already have some on hand, I'd save it for high velocity rifle and handgun cast alloy loads.

I use it in high power rifle reloads and handgun silhouette reloads (lino alloys) with GREAT results.

My .308 Win loads are 2600 FPS, and no lead buildup.

MG

Guest Pukin Dog, SASS#55356-Life

I thought a Zambini was that thing they used to smooth the ice in hockey rinks.

+1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think its a Zamboni though. Must be a different Italian family.

Archived