SASS Wire Forum

Question about Gun Cart Rules?

I have looked in the SASS handbook and can't find any info on gun carts. Just wondering cause I just bought a wagon/gun cart and started thinking about how to mount my long guns. Is it OK to have your long guns horizontal as long as the actions are open or do they have to be vertical?

I'm not sure on that, but I'd really think that your muzzle shouldn't ever be pointed at anyone, because, in my mind, that's a sweep, even if it's "unloaded" and in a cart.

I think the preferred way is open action, broke, etc., and vertical.

Horizontal guns in a gun cart are acceptible but some folks get really nervous about 'em. Vertical racking on carts is prefered in most places.

Doesn't matter to me!

There are folks that think if they can see the muzzles of your pistols while they're in your holsters that you are going to sweep them. Go Figure!! :wacko:

Best to keep them vertical as some folks get up in arms otherwise. There are no official SASS rules about it as far as I know, but I have heard that some ranges do have rules banning horizontal carry of long guns in carts.

I'd rather visit and joke around with pards at shoots than have to explain and defend a horizontal carry cart, but that's just me.

I'll edit this in a minute and show ya a pic of my cart.

Grizz

link to pic

Just ask when you get to the range, if they have rules your cart can't meet right now, I bet someone will be happy to share their cart with you for the day. You shooting up in Lake George? Look up Kiowa Kid and Painted Filly and el Gato Gordo, good folks all.

I have looked in the SASS handbook and can't find any info on gun carts. Just wondering cause I just bought a wagon/gun cart and started thinking about how to mount my long guns. Is it OK to have your long guns horizontal as long as the actions are open or do they have to be vertical?

No rules - just opinions. Many are not too sound - but that's the nature of human endeavour's . . .

My Cart : Wagon/Cart with Horizontal long arm carry.

The guns are sleeved in a canvas cover to keep the dirt out, and I carry them horizontal because I will NOT walk around with a

bunch of long guns pointing at my head . . no way, no how . . . If it was guaranteed safe, we'd not have a penalty for arriving

at a loading station with ammo in the gun - cause it will never happen!

just my $0.02 worth

SC

There are a ton of different cart styles.. and I enjoy seeing all of them. The truth is if you watch me or my shooting bud JJJ's push the cart the barrels are pointing at our head .. lol.. the cart is upright when you set it on its wheels. All I can say is nothing in life is certain. I am as careful as I can be, and I have decided that if I have to worry abouit every little thing I don't want to wake up tomorrow thanks so very much.. lol. This sport has a bit of danger in it. The reputation of the 97 for example.. and loading BP... risk is a great part of life. Nothing was ever created, nor was anything ever enjoyed without it. When you find a partner, you take a risk, when you accept a job or start a company you take a risk.. when you vote you take a risk.. guess I will leave that one alone.. lol.. When you ride with me you take a huge risk.. lol.. Just have fun, be safe.. and wear the nice hat you are wearing in your photo and you will feel like Wyatt himself.. lol.. BTW I dont know you.. so here is the disclaimer.. I tease a lot.. but I am as safe to joke with as your baby sister..

Aint no rules say which way is right. It's all up to you.

Now...as for me..I have a guncart that looks and sometimes acts like a buckboard wagon of days of old.

My gun rack is in the back of the wagon, long guns straight up...head is no where near the barrels.

Best to keep them vertical as some folks get up in arms otherwise. There are no official SASS rules about it as far as I know, but I have heard that some ranges do have rules banning horizontal carry of long guns in carts.

I'd rather visit and joke around with pards at shoots than have to explain and defend a horizontal carry cart, but that's just me.

I'll edit this in a minute and show ya a pic of my cart.

Grizz

link to pic

Hey Grizz: Your cart looks alot like my cart. Did you build it? I got plans from off the internet and modified mine just a tad.

Frazee

Hey Grizz: Your cart looks alot like my cart. Did you build it? I got plans from off the internet and modified mine just a tad.

Frazee

Yup, same here, plans from the internet then modified to suit my whims and the wood I had on hand. Very common design.

To follow on what WJ says, not only should the long gun be muzzle up but the action must be open as well.

After all the main problem here is transition from gun cart storage mode to carrying without sweeping anyone.

The reason why I bring up the action open stuff is that for a shooter of double barrels sometimes lack of room in the cart causes the action to close, and if you have box for ammo etc the lid can interfere with the ability to have the lever open on your 1873, 1892, 1894 etc.

Obvioously these concerns don't affect shooters of 1897 shotgun nor colt lightning magazine rifles.

I am in the process of designing my 2nd guncart.

To follow on what WJ says, not only should the long gun be muzzle up but the action must be open as well.

After all the main problem here is transition from gun cart storage mode to carrying without sweeping anyone.

The reason why I bring up the action open stuff is that for a shooter of double barrels sometimes lack of room in the cart causes the action to close, and if you have box for ammo etc the lid can interfere with the ability to have the lever open on your 1873, 1892, 1894 etc.

Obvioously these concerns don't affect shooters of 1897 shotgun nor colt lightning magazine rifles.

I am in the process of designing my 2nd guncart.

Most ranges have no requirement for action-open on a cased long gun.

Only when you un-case it should the action be opened, so if you take a

cased gun to the loading table and then open the case, open the action,

and lay the long gun on the counter to load - you're within the rules.

Muzzle direction counts at all times, but that is obvious to most of us.

Mine are carried sleeved, or cased, horizontally in the wagon, and muzzle

up to the L/UL tables, then sleeved/cased and returned to the wagon.

I've seen carts tip over, seen actions close, seen rain, leaves and

dirt fall into open muzzles. For me at least - I like extra taking care

of my multi-thousand dollars worth of guns, so if casing them and toting

them in a wagon keeps them safer and cleaner, I'm all for it.

After shooting a stage my pistols are often cased as well, for similar reasons.

Some like the style of an upright rack - like in the sheriff's office,

I like the slung long gun like on a horses saddle.

Shadow Catcher

Shadowcatcher,

Unfortunately for the case of the cased long guns most gun carts are carting UNCASED guns not cased guns.

My assumption is that MOST long guns carried in carts are uncased. So my point still stands.

Shadowcatcher,

Unfortunately for the case of the cased long guns most gun carts are carting UNCASED guns not cased guns.

My assumption is that MOST long guns carried in carts are uncased. So my point still stands.

Sure - no doubt about it - that's tautological at least.

My point was that I won't leave my guns uncased, and I won't use a cart that is likely to tip over, and that I won't leave my guns

unprotected.

Using cased or sleeved guns allows one to carry them horizontally, thus reducing the issues of dirt, tipping, and other such stuff.

I realize where the least common denominator in the equation is, I just indicated that one need not limit oneself to that approach.

I've seen some really cool looking carts that carry guns upright - no doubt about it . .all I'm saying is that it is a choice, not

a requirement, and like all choices, it has advantages and disadvantages . . .

Shadow Catcher

Strapped my scabbards to the side of my gun wagon worked like a charm and nobody at the shoot had problem with it. Thanks for all the input had a great day of shooting!

Hola, Mouse River Kid ~

You must be shooting with the Shaketails, since I don't see your name on the Colorado Cowboys' scoresheet for this Saturday. How were things at the new location at the Frontier Sportsman's club? The new location puts it within 15 minutes of my house, so I guess I'll have to come out and see the old gang once again ~ if I can get ammo enough loaded ahead to shoot two matches in a weekend! Getting lazy!

When you get curious, come out and visit some other clubs to broaden your horizons ~ The Sand Creek Raiders at Byers, Pawnee Station up by Fort Collins, and the Colorado Cowboys at Lake George are also good places to shoot.

All my best to our compadres at the Shaketails!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Hola, Mouse River Kid ~

You must be shooting with the Shaketails, since I don't see your name on the Colorado Cowboys' scoresheet for this Saturday. How were things at the new location at the Frontier Sportsman's club? The new location puts it within 15 minutes of my house, so I guess I'll have to come out and see the old gang once again ~ if I can get ammo enough loaded ahead to shoot two matches in a weekend! Getting lazy!

When you get curious, come out and visit some other clubs to broaden your horizons ~ The Sand Creek Raiders at Byers, Pawnee Station up by Fort Collins, and the Colorado Cowboys at Lake George are also good places to shoot.

All my best to our compadres at the Shaketails!

Buena suerte,

eGG

el Gato Gordo,

Yeah I shot with the Shaketails and had a blast. The range is off the beaten path but I kinda liked that. Gives you that feeling of the old west and open range. I've heard Lake George is a nice place to shoot I hope to make it up to one of there one of these days.

Archived