SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Side Matches

baddwolf7

Howdy pards, I am new to this here game but I have a few questions. I like the side matches (more shooting) and have a few questions. 1 For long range pistol whats usual yards. 2 For long range pistol caliber rifle whats the yards and 3 For long range rifle what that yardage and what is usual rifles, I was thinking 30-30 since I love them 94's.

Thanks

These are just my observations. The majority of long range matches are really longer than normal SASS distances and are speed matches. Pistols 20 to 50 yds any cowboy caliber will do. Pistol caliber rifle, 40 to 70 yds a few out to 100 yds. Any cowboy caliber will do. The winner is determined by the most hits in the shortest time.Long range rifle your 30-30 will do fine. Again yardage of 50 to 100 yds. A few ranges have the benefit of real long range distance. We shoot pistol 50 to 75 yds. rifle at 300 yds and big bore rifle ouot to 500 yds. Thats long range.

Ike

These are just my observations. The majority of long range matches are really longer than normal SASS distances and are speed matches. Pistols 20 to 50 yds any cowboy caliber will do. Pistol caliber rifle, 40 to 70 yds a few out to 100 yds. Any cowboy caliber will do. The winner is determined by the most hits in the shortest time.Long range rifle your 30-30 will do fine. Again yardage of 50 to 100 yds. A few ranges have the benefit of real long range distance. We shoot pistol 50 to 75 yds. rifle at 300 yds and big bore rifle ouot to 500 yds. Thats long range.

Ike

At one local club we shoot: 200y buffalo shoot (period rifle cartridge) and 100y pistol cal. rifle. At a second local club: 100y buffalo shoot (same rules, but a smaller target), 100y pistol cal. rifle, 100y pistol (at the same target as the pistol cal. rifle) and a 25y .22 rifle match. The center fire stuff is all on steel targets - five shots at each, no time limit. The .22 rifle is on paper by points (10 ring, 9 ring, etc.).

That's just what we do in this area.

Where in the country are ya? Where you shoot will make a difference. Some places are hemmed in pretty good and can't muster a real long range. They run 150 or 200 yards if that's what they have. Others offer 300 or more yards as long range rifle, and you'll see .38-55, .45-70, etc dominating. I agree long range pistol is rarely more than 50 yards, and long range pistol caliber rifle not often more than 100. For those, a well-regulated main match gun works fine.

Where in the country are ya? Where you shoot will make a difference. Some places are hemmed in pretty good and can't muster a real long range. They run 150 or 200 yards if that's what they have. Others offer 300 or more yards as long range rifle, and you'll see .38-55, .45-70, etc dominating. I agree long range pistol is rarely more than 50 yards, and long range pistol caliber rifle not often more than 100. For those, a well-regulated main match gun works fine.

I live in the mountains of Eastern Ky, home of the Hatfields (Me) and the McCoys

Go to the sass club locator page and email some folks at clubs nearby to you. Better yet, get out there and watch a match and make some friends. I think you'll find KY has a great SASS representation.....

Our state match has typically been around 85 yards for pistol, but the past two years has been a disappointingly close range speed match. Pistol cal rifle has been up to maybe 350 in the past, but was also turned into a close range speed match this year. :angry: We've shot rifle cal lever up to 500 in the past and single shot out to 500.

I think long range matches should be precision matches, not speed contests. There are already speed side matches. Long range pistol should be something like 50, 100, and 150 yards, pistol cal lever at maybe 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards, and rifle cal lever at 100, 200, 300, 400, and maybe even 500 yards. Although 1000 yards, or even more, is common in specialized buffalo rifle matches, shooting past 500 yards with a single shot is beyond the reasonable capabilities of most casual Cowboy shooters who shoot long range only a couple times a year.

Our state match has typically been around 85 yards for pistol, but the past two years has been a disappointingly close range speed match. Pistol cal rifle has been up to maybe 350 in the past, but was also turned into a close range speed match this year. :angry: We've shot rifle cal lever up to 500 in the past and single shot out to 500.

I think long range matches should be precision matches, not speed contests. There are already speed side matches. Long range pistol should be something like 50, 100, and 150 yards, pistol cal lever at maybe 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards, and rifle cal lever at 100, 200, 300, 400, and maybe even 500 yards. Although 1000 yards, or even more, is common in specialized buffalo rifle matches, shooting past 500 yards with a single shot is beyond the reasonable capabilities of most casual Cowboy shooters who shoot long range only a couple times a year.

I think I've finally managed to talk my club into what I call the "Dave Tutt Memorial": 5 pistol shots, 75 yards. It looks like I'm the one who's going to run it, though. :unsure:

We used to have a plate about 16-18" square at 85 yards, which I think was still too big or too close. Two years ago, I did 5 for 5 on it in 9.6 something.

We used to have a plate about 16-18" square at 85 yards, which I think was still too big or too close. Two years ago, I did 5 for 5 on it in 9.6 something.

J Bar....the only reason a timer was used was as a tie breaker.I'm not saying I agree with it,but that's lot easier than having a long drawn out "shoot off" to determine the winner.Especially when you have to sit out there all day waiting for side match shooters.As you know,our side matches are a day long "shoot when you want to" thing for the convenience of the shooters.After spending 8 hours sitting out there,I'm glad there wasn't a shoot-off.

It'll be a LOT better for the long range side match director next year when we get the long range building roofed, get the AC installed, and get the bar stocked. ;)

Archived