SASS Wire Forum

Lee Pro auto disk questions...also powder spilling

Howdy All,

I've got a Lee load master with the Pro auto disk. I'm wondering which is the better option in order to get more exact powder measures; the adjustable charge bar or the double disk kit? I load Trail Boss if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Whiskey James

Well if you are going to use a double disc, you can use both at the same time. One fixed and one adjustable bar!

I use the micro charge bar for 9mm and .40. Power Pistol meters very consistently in it. When I started loading for .38, I had to switch to the disk. The light charge of Clays wouldn't meter well in the charge bar for me. The disc was very consistent, but I did have some powder leakage which I never encountered with the charge bar.

I've recently upgraded my press to a Dillon 550B, but I'm still using the Lee Pro powder measure for 9mm and .40. If it ain't broke...

Thanks Pards,

Also, I'm having a little bit of powder bump out of the disc when it moves foward to drop. A bit of the disc hole is exposed as the powder is droping. Is that normal?

Check and make sure you have the disc installed correctly. I got the activator in the wrong position and had such a result.

Check and make sure you have the disc installed correctly. I got the activator in the wrong position and had such a result.

Yep, you have the disc in the wrong position, should be no powder spilling. The disc should be almost flush with the back of the base. Look on the underside of the disc, the slots line up with the doohicky lever in the base. The powder dispenser hole (in the open position) will line up directly on top of the disc hole. Activate the disc without the powder dispenser in place, the disc hole should line up directly on top of the powder drop tube when activated with an empty case. Make sure to double check your loads once you get it set up right.

I prefer the double disc, very accurate loads. Remember when using the double disk, if there are two different size holes the big hole goes on the bottom, if not the smaller hole will create a shelf for the powder to sit on. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Mornin Jefro, Noz,

I've got the slot on the bottom of the disc on the doohicky lever in the base. The powder is bouncing out of the top of the disc hole when it moves forward. It's not fully covered by the hopper.

Thanks

How hard are you working the lever on your press that its causing powder to bounce out? Yes the hole is not covered when it slides out and drops the powder, but there shouldn't be powder bouncing out of the cavity. The disc should slide forward smoothly and the powder just drops down the tube.

Mornin Jefro, Noz,

I've got the slot on the bottom of the disc on the doohicky lever in the base. The powder is bouncing out of the top of the disc hole when it moves forward. It's not fully covered by the hopper.

Thanks

You could have the hopper on backwards. I put the hopper on so that it covers the hole when it gets to the drop position. Ho powder spilling. Turned around the other way, the hole is exposed somewhat at the drop position.

You could have the hopper on backwards. I put the hopper on so that it covers the hole when it gets to the drop position. Ho powder spilling. Turned around the other way, the hole is exposed somewhat at the drop position.

I once did what Big Boyd said. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting inconsistant powder charges. I marked some masking tape with "DROP HOLE" and stuck it on the end of the hopper that should go over the drop hole.

Archived