SASS Wire Forum

What was it?

Jack Houston # 35508

I got it for Christmas 1961, I was 12. Winchester Youth Model, 22 would take shorts long and long rifle, single shot bolt action, short barrel. I could hit anything I aimed it at.. :wub: .(Yes, I used to aim)

It got confiscated in 1969 by local police dept.(long story) I was thinking about that rifle today, wish I could find another one!!

What Model is it?? I have no idea!

I got it for Christmas 1961, I was 12. Winchester Youth Model, 22 would take shorts long and long rifle, single shot bolt action, short barrel. I could hit anything I aimed it at.. :wub: .(Yes, I used to aim)

It got confiscated in 1969 by local police dept.(long story) I was thinking about that rifle today, wish I could find another one!!

What Model is it?? I have no idea!

Jack, I got one in 1957 at age 10.............. still have mine. Its a Winchester Model 60A. I have a model 60 now as well

its the full size version.

I'm lucky to have the Mod. 67 my G'Ma bought my Dad around 1936-37 when he was 13 or 14. He can't remember exactly. It is the adult model with the longer stock.

To this day it is my go-to .22 for accuracy.

Safe trails,

CKid

I sure miss that rifle :mellow: Long before I knew better I could pick sparrows off telephone lines, and small lizards off fence posts. I didn't think about where the bullet ended up :blink: Although we lived at the edge of a Very small town in Far West Texas.

The Winchester Model 67 had a 27" barrel. The Winchester Model 59 had a 23" barrel with a slightly smaller stock. Both had an adjustable blade rear sight, and a cocking tab on the bolt to cock the gun for firing, after closing the bolt. If it had a rear apeture (peep) sight it was a Winchester Model 68 (like mine, c1934).

Chicken Coop

Ahh...the Model 67. I got a 67A (youth model) for my 11th birthday and all the kids and grandkids each got their own this last Christmas (granddaughter got mine).

250.00 is getting steep for the 67, although I did pay almost that much for the 67A youth model that I gave my daughter in law (she stands 4'3").

Watch your favorite gunshops and shows, you'll find one.

Badge Pusher

The very first was a single shot .22 that my dad won on a punchboard at the Flying A gas station. It was a sort of rolling block action that I honestly believe has a rubber band for a main spring. I was about 9 or 10. I had it about 5 months before it vanished just before Christmas and was replaced by a used Stevens single shot .22.

That gun and several others were stolen years ago while I was overseas the first time. Dad offered to find me another one, but I refused.

My first was a Remington Targetmaster 510. Bolt action, single shot. My Dad & Uncle cut down the barrel to about 19" reinstalled the bead front sigh, addded an an aperature (peep) sight and cut down the stock. Great little rifle. When I was about 12, and earned some money, I bought a Remington Targetmaster 511. Same rifle, but with a detachable box magazine. I had several magazines to include a 10 rounder. Lots of gophers with those two rifles. Then, I moved to a Winchester Model 52 at about 15.

Each of my brothers (four) started on that little single shot. Then one Christmas the folks gave each of them a Winchester Model 69 (I think). Scope and all.

When Dad passed, we boys split up the guns and and one of my brothers still has the single shot. I found one in a pawn shop a couple of years ago in rough shape. Had to have it. Beat the guy down to $75 and took it home. I'm sure I overpaid, but it is worth $75 to me to have it in the back of my safe.

My folks didn't have gun one in the house ever since I could remember and still don't. My mom thinks they're much too dangerous and my dad doesn't see their worth at all and would much rather buy a HAM radio instead. Since my birthday is on the Fourth of July this all happened on the Fifth of July, but when I was eighteen and a day I bought a Winchester model 37A 12 gauge and when I was 21 and a day I bought a Ruger Security Six 357 Mag 6" barreled SS revolver. Those guns have long since gone to purchase bigger and better firearms. I think when my folks caught me I had a stainless Ruger Redhawk 44 with a 6" barrel. They were appalled to say the least (I was supposed to be studying college courses, not spending money on GUNS). In their minds it has been downhill ever since. My only wish now is to take them to a SASS shoot and see me all garbed up shooting black powder. That'd be a hoot. Smithy.

When I was about 9 or 10 my uncle gave me a Win Mdl 67.Still have it.When I was 12 or 13,I went down to the Coast to Coast store and put a Colt Frontier Scout on lay a way.Got that out after a year of paying on it out of my doing chores allowance.Still have that one too.A year later same store for a Winchester single shot 20ga.That one I messed up on and sold back in 68.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

When I was 10 my grandfather in 1960 gave me a Winchester model 62A, got my rifle merit badge with that gun, lost it in 1982, but replaced it in Jan 2011 SWEET!

When I was about 2 years old (in 1943) my Dad's best friend came over and left a gun for me "when I grow up". He was in the Army and was leaving for England to train and participate in what would later be known as D Day. I told Dad that if he didn't come back he wanted to get me my first gun. He gave my Dad a new Winchester Model 67 to keep for me. He arrived home in late 1945, a much decorated veteran. I still have that gun, it has served me well for over 65 years.

About 10 years ago, "The American Rifleman" did a feature story on the model 67. I wrote them a letter about my 67 and they published it. My Dad's friend read it and called me and we had a nice long chat about it. He is still alive and at 90 is doing OK. We get together several times a year (with my Dad too) for a fishing trip. His son and I are best friends and do a lot of hunting together.

Archived