SASS Wire Forum

Beretta Stampedes

My best pard has a pair of Stampedes, and one of them has started giving him trouble when he attempts to cock it (sometimes, it wants to just lock up on him). Do any of you know anyone who knows a lot about them? Thank you.

My best pard has a pair of Stampedes, and one of them has started giving him trouble when he attempts to cock it (sometimes, it wants to just lock up on him). Do any of you know anyone who knows a lot about them? Thank you.

Mean Matt,

I don't know much about them, but I had a similar problem with one of mine. It turned out to be the firing pin guide which had worked its way loose, you can check for this by taking the cylinder out and observing the small circular piece that the firing pin pokes through (I needed my glasses to see it). With the cylinder out, I could press on the circle with a small screwdriver and observe movement in it; when a cartridge would ignite, sometimes the primer would back out slightly, then lock up into the recess created by the movement in the firing pin guide (this on a .45 LC Stampede). I only suspected this was not normal because the other pistol in the pair was not 'acting up' and did not exhibit this movement when pressed there.

I ordered a new guide from Brownell's and installed it - I haven't had another problem since, but I check it regularly and don't shoot my Stampedes very much.

Don't know if that'll help your pard, but I thought I'd share my experience in case it can help someone. Feel free to PM me or look me up at the Cherokee Cowboys shoot this weekend...

Hi-Yo and Awaaaaayyyy,

TMM

My local gunsmith tried uberti parts and they reportedly would not work......I guess a gunsmith could custom make any part......anyway that is why we sent them back to Beretta.

Howdy Pard ;

Sounds to me like the transfer bar is not being pushed back to the rear of it's groove and is catching on the bottom of the frame mounted firing pin .... The usual culprit is a Weak spring inside the base pin (cylinder pin ) or a weak latch allowing it to creap forward or a broken base pin or latch .....

This is a very common problem with these guns,as well as broken transfer bars, hands and even hammers on early guns ....

These guns are built on Colt size frames with extra parts crowded into too small a space ... The parts are downsized to fit, making them weaker ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived