SASS Wire Forum

And da story never ends

"Howdy Grizz, you bet, been a long time."

"How bout a drink?"

" You bet."

I drank the whiskey down and looked him in the eye.

"Need you're help Grizz. Need you to ride down to NM and AZ to track down some mean hombres and help me kill'em."

"Lordy..if you say they need killing, they must be really mean. What they do anyway?"

"I'd rather not speak of it yet, Grizz. If you will ride with me, I will when the times right."

"Well Hawk, I just can't help ya. I have a bussiness, two of'em to run. With all then injuns running loose....."

I cut my eyes sharply at Grizz.

"Sorry Hawk. It's just that they've been making alot of trouble round here. I don't blame'em none. The Army put thos injun on land so rocky, even weeds has a hard time growing. And they promised'em meat..it is rotten..they promised'em blankest...but they were laced with the pox. I can't ride with you Hawk. A man's gotta look after his own, right?"

"I guess so. Ah...Where's the telegrah office?"

"At the south end of town."

"Thanks. I'll be staying for a few days. Put this drink on my tabb."

"Okay. That'll be fine."

I threw the remainder of my drink back and went to livery stable.

"Son", I said.

A young lad came running up. "Yes Sir?"

"Where's you're Paw?"

"He's eatting dinner at the cafe. He's left me in charge."

"Alright then. I'm gonna be staying a bit. Give my horse the best you got. I settle up with you're Paw later."

"Yes Sir!"

I walked over to the teleagrah office and wrot the following to be sent:

E.E. Taft

Need you to come to Colorado terriory at once. STOP

Train ticket already paided for STOP

Use it before two weeks time STOP

Sliverhawk

"Send this to Missouria, just as I rode it" I said to the opertor.

When a reponsce comes, I'll be in town."

Now all I have to do it wait........

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The young man from the livery ran down the street yelling, "Hey, Mister!!"

Just as Hawk walked into the doorway of th dry goods store the next morning.

He turned to the boy who was out of breath from the run, "What'cha got thar, kid?" Hawk asks

"It's a telegram for ya, Sir."

Hawk took the paper and focused his eyes in on it and with a grin said, "I'll be Damned!"

The telegram from EE Taft read only three words.............

"On My Way."

...............................................................................................

~EE~

Grizz puzzled all night about Hawks request. He'd known him a long time, and they'd riden some hard trails together and he'd never seen him this rattled. Someone needed a killin, but that was always the case, what made these two bad enough to rate Hawks fury, and more than that, had him enlisting help without even telling Grizz why?

It was true enough that trouble was comin here as well, no getting around that. The government had dealt the indians a losing hand, and they wouldn't take much more of it, and Grizz didn't blame them much.

Grizz had worked hard to build his business into something worthwhile and leaving it in someone else's hands to ride off on an uncertain mission wasn't sitting well with him, but something else was setting even worse, turning his back on a friend in need. Grizz took a drink of milk in hopes of soothing his sour stomach, it didn't work.

Deja received the message thru her grandfather.. he knew the breed called Apache Hawk, and his family. She knew that soon he would call in Grizzes and EE's and many of the guys from the old gang. She paced the Saloon.. got out the best whiskey ... and waited. She knew they would need a hide out and she planned on the Saloon being the right place with home cooking, great whiskey , wimen, song.. and fresh horses. BMC's always had the best and the fastest horse in his livery. Her father and seen to that .. the ponies were from the tribe and her family was know for their judgment of horse flesh. Deja was a woman of the west. She pretty much understood that she might be called on to spy, or track, or food, or booze, even horses.. but never to carry a gun... But at the saloon if she needed a gun.. they knew she was packing and ready to back them all up. She was never as fast as the guys, but she was good with booze, horses, food, and she knew the area really well.

She waited for them to ride in.. knowing it could be a while she took charge of cleaning the hooves and making sure the shoes were on good and no nails were too long or a lame horse could mean death to her friends..

The midnight train headed due west clattered and rattled as it mushed onward. Taft sat somberly across from a sharp dressed lanky business man. As the man looked on Taft pulled his Colt from his side and began breaking it down to clean. The man sitting across from him said in a nervous whisper, "You uh, ya goin' out west on business?"

Taft looked up with an almost dead glare in his eyes, "Yeah", he said, "You could say that."

"What kinda business are you in, Sir..ah, If ya don't mind me askin'?" said the man.

Taft continues to go about the cleaning as he replies, "From time to time there's folks that need killin', I just give'em what they need. What kinda business are you in?, if'n ya don't mind me askin."

The man was silent for a moment with his eyes locked on Taft and then said, "I'm an undertaker. I'm headed out to Denver to set up shop."

Taft pieced the Colt back together and pulled his rifle over and examined it for a moment and then looked squarely in the man's eyes without expression and said, "Well, I might be sending some business your way very soon, friend"

Taft wiped the rifle down and layed it aside and pulled his other revolver and began to work it over all the while the undertaker looked on nervously, then he asked, "Is.....is there ah.....anyone your lookin' to ah.......kill....when you get there?"

Taft chuckled, "Tryin' to drum up business before you even get there, are ya?"

"No, just wondering, I guess." said the undertaker.

"Naw" Taft said, "I 'spect there won't be a shortage of folks needin' their ways of thinkin' adjusted a bit, but no, I ain't got no one in particular in mind. Not yet, anyway"

The man sat silently never sleeping watching Taft the rest of the night.

Taft continued with the task of preparing his weapons. He pulled his pair of Schofields from his saddle bags and looked them over, then reaching in his vest he pulled a pair of derringers out for a quick inspection.

The night was cold and Taft was wrapped tight in the rag around his neck and dark colored clothing with his duster wrapped loose. the cold night air moved through the train car and the lanterns did little to warm anything. They cast a reddish orange light on everything in the car. The man sitting across from Taft soaking in this atmosphere and the cold attitude of Taft himself sat wide eyed and shaking from the cold and the fear.

Two more hours passed as the train rolled west. Finally Taft looked up and hard into the undertaker's face gripped with fear and cold.

"Here, have a pull on this." Taft said as he passed the man his flask, "This your first time goin' west?"

The man was almost frozen but managed to shake his head an affirming yes.

Taft grins and says, "Well, you ain't even quite to Kansas yet and if you keep lockin' up in fear like ya had tonight, I'd figger ya ta be bear shit by the end of the week. Ya better git up and move around a bit and get the blood flowin' in yer legs."

The man grinned and took another drink then got up and staggered about the car as it continued on west.

............................................................................................

~EE~

Grizz knew what he had to do, and set about getting it done. He sent for the boy who ran messages for the telegraph office and quickly wrote out a note for him to give to Hawk. He still had his cabin up in the woods, but he'd built a shack in town to sell his furs. That has since been replaced with a larger general store as the town had grown. Grizz went into his store from the back so as to make sure his hired man knew he was there. Silas was a bit of an odd duck, but Grizz trusted him for the most part.

"Silas, I need to go out of town for a spell, can you mind the store while I'm gone?"

"You know I can" Silas gruffed rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"True 'nuff. We get that shipment in on today's train?"

"Out in the storeroom, looks to be good quality, still don't know why you ordered so many blankets, we don't sell but a few a month, and at that rate you got enough for a year"

Grizz grinned, Silas knew the business that was for sure and certain. "Hold back enough for two months sales and load the rest in the wagon, along with some beans, flour, sugar, salt, and oh, a few pounds of that hard candy too"

"Now?" Silas gasped, still half asleep.

"Don't care, just have it ready by first light."

Grizz went to the front of the store and lit a lamp. He pulled out some pack saddle bags and filled them with grub and ammo. He pulled his old skinning knife from the sheath where it hung decoratively on the wall and set to sharpening the blade, not that it needed it, but it soothed his stomach.

Someone knocked on the glass in the front door startling Grizz out of his fixed gaze on the blade, it was Hawk. Grizz unlocked the door and stepped back behind the counter and set back to his task without really looking up.

"When do we leave?" Grizz said, and looked up to see a hint of a smile on his old friends face.

"Taft is on his way, two days I reckon"

Grizz laid out his plan to take the wagon load of blankets and food to the indians, along with about half his modest herd of cattle. He'd known some of the local tribe a long time and called them friend, but with other groups being thrown in with them, he didn't know what to expect when they reached their breaking point. His hope was that when the uprising took place, they'd remember his kindness and spare his small ranch and cabin, but even so, it wasn't really safe as the army had been known to ride over whatever they felt like at times.

Grizz looked up again and Hawk was looking more like his old self, more at ease and less on edge. Grizz grinned "need any supplies?" as he waved his hand around the store. "the owner said we can take whatever we want, no charge."

"I'll tell ya what we are up against as soon as EE gits here. Don't want to tell it twice."

I looked around the well supplyed store.

"Looks like we'll need bacon, some beans, flour, salt...bout 5lbs each. Bout 2 lbs of sugar, coffee, and some rollin' tobacco."

"You out fittin' a Army, Hawk?" Grizz said with a smile.

"Maybe. You got any rilfes in dis store?" Grizz said "No", shaking his head sadly.

"Get yur man up right now Grizz. I need to send him to da General Store fer me."

Grizz did so and I gave him a pouch of double eagles....freshly minted.

"My word Hawk..." he said as he ran his bear like hands through the coins."There's not a mark on'em. You steal'em ?"

"Grizz, you know me better than that. Sides, you'll like what he comes back with!" And I winked, smilin' at the old man.

"We got couple of days for ole EE gets here. Got lots to do, plan and work out. Then we'll comince."

Grizz set to gathering the things on Hawks list, not that there was any hurry, but best to have things ready just in case. As he did that, Hawk gave Silas the pouch and told him in hushed tones what he wanted. Truth was Grizz had considered carrying guns, but didn't want to compete with the local gunsmith. The smith was a good man with a wife and daughter and Grizz figured he needed the sales more than he himself did. Now competing with old man Barnes general store at the other end of town was another thing entirely, Barnes was the sort of man who loved to hear himself talk and let everyone know how important he was, or thought he was anyway. Ta heck with Barnes.

I admired Grizz for his store, and for coming to my aid with out knowing what lay ahead...no questions asked.

"Takes a real pard to do that", I thought to myself. "And fer EE to leave his bussiness and family behind...well.. I could not ask fer better pards!" I smiles to myself, blowed my head, and thanked the Lord fer'em.

Silas came in with a arm load of things in the poke, walkin' up to me,"Hear da items you wanted Mr. Hawk.."

"Just Hawk, Silas....Just Hawk. Thanks."

I reached into the poke and pulled out a new lever action 45-70 and 200 rounds. I handed'em to Grizz sayin', "You may just find you need these." His eyes widened, swallowin' hard said, "What the hell do we need these guns fer anyhow ?"

" Never can tell Grizz. But it's best to have'em and not need'em, than to need'em and not have'em." I said smilein'

I pulled out my two Confederate Navies, in 44 cal and started to break'em down to clean'em. I then took out my 1860 Henry military model in 44-40, a 1866 Henry in 45, a mule ear 12ga and a 1887 lever action 12ga. Took a while to clean'em and recharge the 44's. Eat some supper, steak, some fryed taters, cornbread and coffee. I then pulled out a 1878 Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70 and cleaned it. My long range buffalo rifle.

Grizz looked at all the fire power i had on the table, plus the other two I had just brought. He also glanced at the rifle he was holding...

"Good Lord...We're gonna start a war" I heard him whisper......

"Nope.." I said....."Just finish one! Come on Grizz, I'll buy a drink!"

" EE will be here on da mornin' train," I said as we walked to his saloon. "Let him rest up...we'll pick up and leave at sun raise two suns from now".

Grizz looked up at me in a worryed look. I felt so comfortable around him and EE, that I had slipped right back into my Apache ways. He could see the blood lust in my eyes and I did not try to hide it from him. With Grizz and EE watchin' my back, ole Black Jack and his comincharios had a date with the devil comin' soon.

Black Jack Mulligan pulled hard on a hand-rolled cigarette. The night was black as pitch; even the full moon was shrouded behind the thick, pendulous clouds that seemed to warn of a rising storm to come. He shook off a shiver that somehow ran through him, in spite of the heat. His hand moved deftly to the butt of his pistol at the sound of footsteps.

"zat yew, Paco?"

"Si, Jefe. The fortune teller, he says he iss ready now," came the reply.

Together the men strode over to a smallish square tent set up next to a Gypsy wagon. Within, an oil lamp illuminated a round table where a gaunt man in Gypsy dress began to rise to greet them.

"Don' git up," Black Jack grumbled as he sat in the empty chair to the man's left. Paco turned and stepped out to stand watch.

"Ah got some plans thet'll take me o'er ta the New Mexico Territory. There's a sheriff there who's a pain in my ass, and a few hunnerd head a' cattle I'm lookin' ta add ta mah herd. Mah boys tell me yew can see the future."

"Mister Jack, I have this gift: when I meet a man and gaze into the Crystal Ball, within I see signs of his destiny. I cannot make out places and names, but see only flashes of symbols, darkly as if in a dream - but the things I see tell of what is to come for him I meet." the Gypsy leaned forward, staring intently at the glass orb in the center of the table.

His eyes narrowed for a moment. As they widened, his pupils visibly dilated as he began to stammer excitedly. "There are men - dozens of men - and shooting, swearing - a swarm of cattle are driven to a river - I see a bird - a hawk! The bird is Death -- I see a river of blood and fire ... a struggle - you die!"

Snapping suddenly out of his trance, the Gypsy turned and looked Black Jack in the eye. "Death is coming for you, Mister Jack -"

"NO!! Death is comin' fer YEW!" Jack screamed as he plunged his Bowie knife between the Gypsy's ribs. He thrust the knife in, then slammed it home with the heel of his hand, again and again, as the Gypsy slumped to the floor. Wild eyed, Jack smashed the lamp, and flaming oil covered the table as one side of the tent burst into flames. Reeling, he staggered out.

Looking past Jack, Paco asked "Trouble, boss?"

"Wrong damned answer!!" Jack yelled as he untethered his horse. "Come on, we're wastin' time here!"

I had a drink at Grizz's saloon when "Turn round injun....nice an slow". It was EE Taft. "As I live and breath"...said Grizz. I smiled, took his hand in mine...and I breathed a slight sigh of relive. "Good to see ya EE,..How's da Mrs and young'ens?"

"They be just fine. And they send thier regards to ya Hawk. Now who is in need of a serious attiude ajustment ?"

I asked Grizz to grab a bottle, and come over to the table to talk. I took the bottle and poured three drinks...bottle clinkin' the glasses as I poured. Grizz and EE looked at each other, wonderin' what I had in mind. So I told them.

"Black Jack Mulligan and his crew of 8 men where Confederate raiders. And they did a good job in da War. But they didn't stop. I was workin' da spring calfs when a native, wounded rode hard toward me. He said, before he died, that raiders had taken my wife, son, and a few of our hands. Rode back to da ranch as hard as my horse would run. Then I saw them....wife was shot through the chest and scaled. Son...well he had his throat cut and his head stove in."

I wiped a tear away from my eyes. "Y'all gonna have to forgive this old man. It was a horrorble sight to see." I took a long pull on the bottle, forgettin' the glass I poured for myself. "buryed'em Apache way, in a sacred place, on a hill, lookin' to the east."

"The reason I asked you here is I mean to do to ole Black Jack the same he did to my wife, son, and the hands. But one against eight aint so good odds. So, there it is... EE, take this ether way, you'll need it" It was the other lever action 45-70 and 200 rounds. I had another long pull from the bottle and drank the shot of whiskey too. "So, fellers, do ya help me or not. I can't blame ya if ya choose not to. I'll do what needs doin' anyway. So what'll it be....in or out ?"

Grizz couldn't look up and look his friend in the eye, it hurt too much. It wasn't until the glass broke in his hand that he realized that he was shaking and clenching his fists. He drew in a ragged breath and opened his hand letting the bloody remnants of the glass fall away. With his other hand he pulled a hankercheif from his vest pocket, not for the cut hand, but to wipe the tears from his eyes so that he could see. He Cleared his throat and raised his head matching Hawks steely stare with his own. "We'll send him to hell or die tryin"

Taft looked over the tiny specticles on his eyes across the table at his shattered friend. He knew the feeling as he too had almost lost his family to a band of theivin' murderers a few years back. It was by the grace of God that they survived.

"Hawk, I got me a cold spot in my heart fer fellers like that. Most of 'em, by the time I'm done with 'em don't think I have a heart."

Taft tugged the bottle from Hawk's hand and gave him the kind of reassuring smile that says "I'll go to hell and back with ya." then poured and full glass and sat it in front of Hawk. He then pulled a needle and thread from his pocket......

"Grizz, gimme that big knob ya call a hand." Taft said with a smile.

"You know what yer doin', Taft?" Asked Grizz.

"Sure, it ain't no different than stitchin' up leather, Pard. Besides, if'n ya don't get it pulled shut it's gonna hurt like hell when ya go to make a shot."

Taft stitched as the three talked of what was to come and shared the plan as to where their journey would take them. They drank a bit more into the night and before long Grizz's hand was stitched and wrapped.

"I'll be damned, Taft, ya made it look right nice!" Grizz said with a grin.

We'll get some of the stuff that Hawk's kinfolk whoop up to smear on that in the mornin' if'n he can get some for us. That stuff will do wonders, Beleive me I know.

Taft sat back in the chair and peered over his glasses at the men. "After what you've been through, Hawk, are ya ready for what's ta come? I know yer grit, but don't get blinded by yer anger. Try to be calm and cool. I can't afford ta lose too many more friends."

Hawk Replied..........................................

~EE~

"A eye fer a eye, EE, eye fer a eye." I said that as a matter of fact...cold....emotionless....claulated. I knew what had to be done and how do go bout doing it. But first, we had to get to AZ. I didn't want to stop by my ranch....don't think I was ready for that just yet.

"EE, you and Grizz go and sight yur rifles in. I need to lay up supplies."

I walked to the end of town to the telegrah office. This time was a young guy fresh out of school. "Help you Old Timer ?"

"Yup, I need to send a telegram to Ajo, Arizona." "Sure Old Timer...what's the message?"

"I can read and write! Dont won't you addin' or taking away somethin'!" I said, looking angerly at him. He slide paper and pencil my way.

"Deja....Heading yur way with company in tow. STOP

Will need food, drin, fresh horses STOP

May need a 4th person." STOP

HAWK

I sure hoped the wisperin' wires have not been cut. If so it would mean 2 days lost.

While Grizz and EE where out shootin their new rifles, a apache scout came to me at the end of town.

"See Black Jack...ridin'east." "How many moons ago?"

"3 moons." "Ok. Trail them but be careful. Don't let Jack see you. I don't want to lose another hand."

"Don't worry. You won't!"

Walked back to Grizz's saloon, had a bite to eat ans washed it down with some whiskey.

"Wonder how Grizz and EE like them rifles?" I thought. Then I chuckled to myself.

"I want ta see the look on Deja's face when she see her new rifle !!"

Grizz and Taft had no trouble sighting in the rifles. After that they took the wagon load of supplies and cattle out to the indians. Grizz sent Taft back to town and went by his cabin. The way it was shaping up, he was gonna need more firepower. His life had settled down and he'd gone away from wearing his guns, save a sheriffs model. He carefully unlocked a trunk and got out his double rig and Colts and strapped them on. He grabbed his other sheriffs model as well along with a pistol grip shotgun. He had his skinning knife in town to wear on his belt, but he dug thru the chest until he found a couple of boot knives.

He met up with Taft and Hawk at the Saloon. (ACS) Hawk looked him up and down and grinned, Taft smiled and asked "expecting trouble?" and winked. Grizz grinned back at the both of them and said "if I'm gonna ride into hell, I damn sure am going in heeled."

"A eye fer a eye, EE, eye fer a eye." I said that as a matter of fact...cold....emotionless....claulated. I knew what had to be done and how do go bout doing it. But first, we had to get to AZ. I didn't want to stop by my ranch....don't think I was ready for that just yet.

"EE, you and Grizz go and sight yur rifles in. I need to lay up supplies."

I walked to the end of town to the telegrah office. This time was a young guy fresh out of school. "Help you Old Timer ?"

"Yup, I need to send a telegram to Ajo, Arizona." "Sure Old Timer...what's the message?"

"I can read and write! Dont won't you addin' or taking away somethin'!" I said, looking angerly at him. He slide paper and pencil my way.

"Deja....Heading yur way with company in tow. STOP

Will need food, drin, fresh horses STOP

May need a 4th person." STOP

HAWK

I sure hoped the wisperin' wires have not been cut. If so it would mean 2 days lost.

While Grizz and EE where out shootin their new rifles, a apache scout came to me at the end of town.

"See Black Jack...ridin'east." "How many moons ago?"

"3 moons." "Ok. Trail them but be careful. Don't let Jack see you. I don't want to lose another hand."

"Don't worry. You won't!"

Walked back to Grizz's saloon, had a bite to eat ans washed it down with some whiskey.

"Wonder how Grizz and EE like them rifles?" I thought. Then I chuckled to myself.

"I want ta see the look on Deja's face when she see her new rifle !!"

Deja stocked the Saloon for Apaches, Grizzes, EE.s and anyone else they wanted to bring. She knew they rode for all the same causes as she, and she would never turn them away.

She went to visit her Grandfather and Father and obtained the finest poines they could muster. Whiskey, of couse would be stocked up for the boys, and she needed to find a few women to keep them company. On the way home from the ride out to the RES she stopped by a rancher friend of hers, Utahs known as utah Bobs by everyone else. He gave her a few steers for meat for the cowboys riding in to town. And a promise of being there if they needed him on his tongue.

That night as she swept the floor she got out the fancy guns that belonged to LLC's.. she played with them with a mist in her eyes. She would not cry, that would let go of the memory and fall over into a river of fear. So, she pulled out the oil, and got busy getting them ready.. she knew more guns would be needed for the cowboys riding in to town.

LLC's words burned in her brain as she readied the guns. She tried to bury the memory, but she knew the promise to be there for the cowboys would always be in her heart.

He had a way of making everyone feel they would have a imporant job after he was gone, rather they did or not. Keeping stuff light and easy was her job, and she had failed at it she though. Instead she was getting guns ready again for a range war. As she thought of the perils that they all went thru.. she also thought of what it meant to ride for the brand.. they had taught her so much... she only hoped she had done enough for them, and she turned in for thte night. On her knees she again prayed for the safety of all of those pals around her. In her heart she knew the task they were taking on was difficult, and hard to win at. But if anyone could do it they could. As she drifted off the sound of hooves pounded into the night..

A mile distant, ten riders pulled up to survey the rugged landscape.

"A-Hole Arizona, Colonel," Jeb Cowart sneered. "Ain't it 'bout time we settle in? We kin git us some free whiskey at thet Saloon yonder...I could sure stand the attention of the local ladies, y'know?" Cowart winked to Black Jack as he grinned.

"Not tanite, Jeb. Ah wanna get on ta Garner's Gulch and git rid 'a that damned Sheriff afore he gits tha whole territory a-swarmin' with tha U.S. Marshals. We gotta full night's ride still ahead. We'll hole up sumwhere's in tha day, so's word don't git out we's ridin' thet way."

"Yer in charge, Colonel. Much as me 'n' Paco 'n' tha Boys could use a drink, we'll ride with ya like always."

"Ah-right, let's go."

With that, the men rode on as Deja slept, unaware of how close Hawk's quarry had come.

As the regular crowd drifted into the Saloon for the evening, Hawk, Taft, and Grizz were on their way out. The horses and pack saddles had been readied in the corral behind Grizz's trading post and all that was left to do was to catch some sleep, saddle up and ride. It was well before dawn when Hawk and Taft made it to the corral and started saddling the animals. Hawk looked at the pile of guns and gear and was glad he'd given in to Grizz's insistence of taking along a pack horse. As they tightened the last cinch, they looked at each other, then to the back of the store. "Grizz must be hibernating, best we go wake him up I reckon" Taft said.

Before they got more than a couple of steps Grizz met them as he came out the back of the store carrying several leather cased canteens and several small cloth bags. The canteens held hot strong black coffee and the bag held tortillas wrapped around beans, eggs, bacon with some green chili sauce and cheese. "Thought you boys might want some breakfast."

Hawk and Taft took the offered grub and swung up into the saddle. Grizz hung his on the saddle horn. He then brought a knee up into his horses belly, gently, but firmly causing the animal to exhale as he tightened the cinch one more notch. Grizz climbed up into the saddle, the crisp air and creaking old bones reminding him he wasn't as young as he used to be.

I nooded to Grizz as I bite into it. "Mitey tastey." "Thanks" said Grizz. Got bunch more if y'all want'em."

I spured my horse into a gentle cantor. Appys can do that all day, damn near. EE can up beside me, slightly smileing. I knew what he was thinking... He was getting more revenge...and he was entilted to it. I was thinking the same. It was only a matter of time till I caught up with Black Jack. Did'nt care how long it took or how much it costs me...I ill have my recokin'. Grizz came up long side, muching away.

We rode all day without stopping for dinner. EE and Grizz was talking about something, I wasn't listening. I was planning on Black Jack's next move and how I would counter it. We holed up near a dryed up creek wash. EE said, "Hawk I sure hope ya know wheres some water."

"Yup, sure do. See that green mesquite bush? Dig bout a 2 foot hole and you'll get all the water you can drink." I went down steam and dug a large hole in the dry creek wash for the horses to drink from. "Well I be dipped" I heard EE say.

"Here Grizz, a tribe near you're place gave me this to give to you." I handed him a buckskin bag of salv. He walked into the darkness and applyed it. "Ahhhhhhhhh....

"Boys, we headin' down to Ajo, Arizona and we're gonna meet up with Deja. She's my blood sister. I trust her, y'all can too. But the best way to get there is not always the safest. So we're by pass the Sand Tank Mountians and cross over the Sauceda Mountians. There's water there, some game, but there's bushwackers in those mountains. Be on you're guard...trouble can pop up out of no where. Stay sharp !!"

Grizz walked by in from the darkness and said "Lordy, it's hot ! Even at night it's as hot as....." "12 yards of hell!" EE said. Damn Hawk, I just don't see how y'all live down here ! Does it ever cool off ?" "Yeah' I said, fixing my bedroll for the night. "In the Spring, it rains a mite. But least there aint no skeeters eating you alive like where you come from."

Out in the darkness, I heard a sound only Apaches know. EE and Grizz looked at me and grabed their rifles and stood ready.

"Easy fellers, this is a scout, Two knifes. We rode together in the war. Lt. Greenwood wanted him to scout the Apache for him, but he won't do that. After a few words, and a few nods, he ran off back into the darkness. I said, "Two knifes is very uneasy about you two. I told him I trust you with me life, so he trusts you too....to a point. He said Black Jack and his gang was seen near the saloon where Deja is."

"What the hell" EE shouted. Grrrrrrr, growled Grizz. "Easy boys. He said the tracts show no one dismouted, and all rode southeast toward Nogales. We should pick up his trail tomarrow. I told him we gotta stop by the saloon and check on Deja..make sure she's ok. Then we'll pick up his trail tommarow and when we get into the Sauceda Mountains, we'll be running a cold camp...no fires".

Grizz worked his left hand after slathering it in salve, it felt good to get the wrap off. The smallest two fingers spasmed like the wing of a sparrow flitting around. "Don't need no dang fire anyways, I'm melting."

Taft grinned at him, "wouldn't hurt cha none to melt off some of that gut."

Grizz tried to act mad, and had it been another man he might have been, but Taft was right. Living in town most of the time these last two years had made him soft, and he'd put on more insulation for the cold Colorado winters than he'd really realized. He dug into his saddle bags and pulled out a bottle, the finest whiskey from his Saloon. His hand hurt, as did his back from sitting a horse all day. He took a sizable swig and handed the bottle over to Taft. "For medicinal purposes, ya know"

Taft rubbed his right leg, and took the bottle, "yup, I could use some medicine my own self"

In another camp, in other times they would have spent the evening drinking and finished the bottle, but each drank just enough to dull the aches and they put the bottle away.

In the darkness, and around the last fire they would see for a while, Hawk was in his own world of thought and hardly jumped into the conversation. He sat with his back against the saddle half sat up and drifting in and out of sleep.

Taft sat cleaning the new rifle that Hawk had given him........

"Grizz, I 'spect them hombres'll find some more banditos to ride for their cause. We're gonna have us one hell of a fight on 'fer too long."

"Yeah", said Grizz, "You ain't scared are ya?"

"Hell no!" Taft replied, "actually, I'm lookin' forward to it!"

Grizz had a slight look of surprize cross his face, "Lookin' forward to it?!?! You sure seem to get a thrill outta bein' ornery, Taft. Quit yankin' my chain and get some sleep."

"Who's yankin' " replied Taft with a squirrelly smile on his face. I came along ta help out our friend here AND cause it sounded fun. Still smiling Taft sat the rifle up against the saddle beside him and looked back at Grizz.

Grizz looked back a Taft and said almost as if thinking out loud, "Lookin' forward to it!?!?, Boy Taft, you are one sick and twisted individual."

Taft grinned, "Aww Grizz, ya know yer just like me. Itchin' fer a fight. Ya wanna put down some damned ol' banditos."

Grizz grinned, "Well, it does sound kinda fun and I ain't had me a streak in a long time."

Taft chuckled as he layed back and pulled his hat down over his eyes, "When yer done cleanin' that rifle jab me with that thar stick and I'll wake up and take first watch.

........................................................................................

~EE~

Grizz took his time cleaning and oiling the rifle, and then loaded it and laid it to his side. Then one at a time, unloaded and cleaned and reloaded his colts. While it was true Grizz enjoyed a good fight on some levels, he never took joy in killing a man, not the way Taft seemed to be. Not that it gave him much pause neither, some fellers just needed to get dead. He thought perhaps his own advancing age was making him think more on the subject of death, and of life, for he cheated death many times, bullets that should have killed him, not to mention the encounter with the grizzly bear in his youth that had earned him his handle. He'd be ready when the time came, that much was sure, the men they were hunting needed a killing. He rolled a smoke and sat smoking for a time, listening to Taft snore and the sounds of the woods, feeling the tension release from his tired muscles like the sound of the breeze thru the trees.

He jabbed Taft with the stick to take the watch and was snoring himself even before EE had time to pull his jacket on.

I seemed to be drifting in and out of sleep. And remembering when EE and I was young....how we rode for the Arizona Rangers...We were somethin' to behold ! And damn lucky we didn't get killed....or worse !! Then we met Grizz before Colordao was even a territory. I had some mitey good meals and deals from Grizz. Then we parted ways. EE Taft went off to Missouri, got himself married and had a passel of kids. Grizz seattled in Colorado Territory and opened a trading post. I started a ranch in Arizona Territory, me , the Apache people, my wife and son.....I felt a tear roll down my cheek. "Damn !! A Brave don't cry !!! I quickly wipe it away.

I had a plan, if Black Jack does what I think he would do. He would have outriders, hombres that linger back..covering the back trail so no surpises happened. We would take them out first. Then we could possilbity pick'em off one at a time, till Back Jack got wise. Then it would be a blood bath....his blood.

I rose from the saddle and spelled EE."I'll take it now EE. Get some sleep. We all are going to be needing it soon."

Sunup was a hour away. I made a small fire, put some coffee on, and set out some hard tack. Grizz smelled the coffee and stired, mumbleing something. I took the same stick Grizz used on EE and did the same. His hand automaticlly reached for his rifle. "Blood thirsty...good and bad." I thought to myself. "Raise and shine boys..Get some coffee while it's hot. Gonna be a spell fer ya get it again!"

I saddled our horses and with in 30 minutes we where riding south. As we climded the foothills of the Sauceda, I kept a sharp eye for bushwackers and claim jumpers. After bout an hour we hit the mountains, and the horses where having a hard time with the rocks. Soon, I called out, "Dismout boys...Now we walk." EE said, "I hate walking!" "Me too, my kness aint as good as they used to be !" Grizz moaned. I lead them through a pass only the apache know. And we kept it that way..till now. In a depression in the rock was clean water feed from and under ground stream, green grass and plenty of game.

"Fellers, this is where we'll make cold camp before heading down to Ajo. And keep you're eyes peeled. There's bandtios in these moutians." "Ahhh, at long last, down to some killing!" EE said. Grizz just looked puzzled, shaking his head.

Taft took out his makins and started to roll a smoke, Grizz caught his eye and shook his head "no" and pulled out a plug, cut off a piece for himself and passed it over to Taft. "Cold means cold" Grizz said mater of factly. Taft pulled out a knife and cut himself a chunk and put it in his mouth off the blade, "just seenin if yer payin attention" Taft said with a mouthful before spitting.

Grizz took his time digging thru the pack saddle bags tog get out some jerky and tortillas. When no one was looking he pulled a bottle of laudanum from the bottom and took a good slug off it. Hawk came over and took the grub as Grizz offered it "hurtin ain't cha?" he asked. "I'll be fine" Grizz answered. "Take some more of that after your watch, it will help you sleep, but best not have any tomorrow" Hawk said. Grizz looked up with a puzzled look on his face. "Smelled it on yer breath" Hawk said as he sat back down.

Grizz took first watch again and cleaned the dust out of his sidearms. Taft was snoring loudly but he couldn't tell for sure when Hawk was asleep, or if he was awake.

I slepped out from camp, got my spy glass and low crawled up on a rock just as the sunset. "How's there ?!" "Who's there" Grizz demanded. His greener leveled at me. I know that thing was loaded with a $1.50 in dimes in both barrels. I had seen what a $ 1.50 could do to a $5.00 steer...it aint pretty. "Grizz it's me....lower that greener and crawl up here!"

"Damn, I aint did this since I was a boy ! O.k. Hawk, what ya want me to see ?" I said, "Take this spy glass and look to the east. See that small glow in the darkness ?" Yep" said Grizz. "Thems the bushwackers I told ya bout. And that's the reason for a cold camp ! Wake EE and I'll show him too!' Grizz crawled and EE was up beside me in a flash. I showed him what I showed Grizz. He said "Alright, now we see some action." I told him, "NO ! NOT YET ! Thats why the cold camp. I watch them while you sleep. Then you can relive Grizz."

EE said, "Now that aint gonna work for me, Hawk !" I looked into his eyes and lower my voice to a growl. "I don't care ! Don't make me pull rank on ya Capt'in !!" "Ok...Ok you're the ramrod !" I was refering to our war days. And he knew it.

I watched the fire die out, mists the load laughter and the braking bottles. " These white men...diggin' holes in Mother Earth...breaking bottles on her....filling Father Sky with sour smoke...it aint right !" But then, few things are right. Come sunup I woke EE and Grizz from a deep sleep. "Thats the best sleep I've had in my life !" EE said as he worked out the wrinkles. Grizz said, "Yeah, me too. How'd that happen Hawk ?" "We use this place to rest and water our horses after a hunt or raid on other tribes." I said. The Old Ones gaurd this place with their Spirits. We will be in Ajo by night fall. We go now".

Just as Hawk said, "We go now", Taft slings the cold cup of coffee in his hand to the ground and, in an almost childish manner, chuckles............

Grizz groans as he tugs at the pack leathers while packing, "What 'er you laughin' at?"

Taft spits in the dirt without breaking the look towards the other men. "Come with me" he said.

Walking off into the brush they come upon a man bound and gagged. Taft grabs the rope and pulls the man to his feet.

"Grizz, this feller here had a mind to cut yer throat in the night while I was on watch." Explained Taft, "That is 'til he met the ass end of my rifle."

Hawk and Grizz were puzzled at the man they were riding with as they had looked at him as being a bit over eager. Neither spoke as they looked on.

"Y'all didn't 'spect me to just go around killin' senselessly did ya? Taft asked with a smile.

"Well, yeah.." answered Grizz.

Hawk approached the man ripping the gag from his mouth, "Who ya ridin' with, boy?"

The man groaned in pain, "Black Jack sent me back to cover the trail. I was doin' fine fixin' ta cut this big feller's throat 'til that sumbitch thar split my wig with that rifle.

The three men sat the outlaw back down and circled together in thought. Hawk said, "What we gonna do with him?" at that both men looked at Taft as if waiting for him to come up with the answer.

Taft looked up in a bit of surprise, "well, we can let the air out of him right here and leave him fer the buzzards, but I say we haul him on to the nearest law."

They turned back to the man. "Why did ya come up on us alone?"Grizz asked. The man replied, "Don't know, guess I was feelin' my oats."

Hawk pulled his pistol, "Git up on that horse thar, Boy!"

The man fumbled his way up on the horse.

"Keep yer gun on him, Hawk."Said Taft as he dug in in the packs and pulled out a good length of barbed wire. He walked up to the outlaw's horse with a grin and wrapped the wire around the saddle horn and figure eight-ed the other end around the man's wrists. He then pulled out his fencing pliers and cinched it down tight, popping a few minor bones in the process.

The man shrieked in pain. Taft smacked the man on the leg and said. "Now, don't fight that wire too hard. ya get cut, ya get infected, and I ain't diggin' no damned grave fer ya!" Taft gave the man a falsely reassuring smile as if to say "your in good hands." He then reached down with the rest of the wire and wrapped it lose from one ankle to the other under the horse. He popped his head back up to look at the man and said, "There, now if'n ya fall off ya won't get separated from yer horse!"

All the men mounted and rode out of camp passing by the place where the bushwackers had made camp.

Grizz riding beside Taft, looked at him and laughed saying, "Taft, I'm proud of ya fer not puttin' him to death, but your one sick bastard!"

Taft smiled at Grizz's comment and the sound of his spurs jangling as they rode out.

............................................................................................

~EE~

"How long have you been with riding with Mulligan?"

Jeb Cowart seemed to deliberate for some time, then answered slowly, "Me 'n' Briscoe was Carolina Regulars in '62 when we got caught in a little ambush the Yankees had set up fer us during a routine patrol. The lead was flyin' hot 'n' heavy, 'n' we lost all but four of our company ... when Mulligan's Raiders split them Yankees jess like Moses a-partin' the sea! Captain Jack Mulligan saved our lives that afternoon. T'other two was kilt afore the fight was over, but Briscoe 'n' me was promoted to cavalry and we been ridin' with ol' Black Jack right up through Major ta Colonel. Reckon we all got so tight in three years of hell together, what few had any family left after that war had just as soon be with the regiment. T'weren't 'til after the war that we started a-dealin' with you Mexicans and the Injuns. Don't get me wrong, it's good fer them of us who ain't no friends of them Yankee Presidents to stick together out here. Hell Paco, afore yew Colonel Jack had a gen-yew-ine Medicine Man ta be our go-between with tha Comancheros. Reckon Jack must think we might need some help with this Sheriff if he's keepin' yew this close by."

"I don' know. Your Colonel seems a little jumpy to me lately - you shoulda seen how he took down that Gypsy fortune teller the other night, set the whole tent and wagon to fire. Dark as it was that blaze could be seen for miles. Hee iss getting careless, Jeb." Paco frowned. "And didn't I hear you say someone was tailing us?"

"Reckon. Looped round behind to check our flank - made my way up a mesa and had a look around. Look like a single Injun by hisself. Apache, may be. Anyhow, I told tha Colonel."

"What did he say?"

"Hard ta make sense of it. 'Let the half-breed find us. Let the scout alone', he says. Can't figure it, but it ain't fer me ta give the orders round here no how. Colonel Jack seems to know what's goin' on, and that's good enough for me."

"May be old Paco just worries too much Senor Jeb. I will wake Briscoe to take the next watch."

"All right Paco, I'm a-gonna git me some shuteye. We're sure ta be saddlin' up' again come sundown."

As Cowart laid down, Paco turned and looked out toward the east. He still felt unsettled about these men he'd fallen in with. Feared by even the toughest banditos, Black Jack Mulligan's group of Raiders was a core group of nine men - the Confederate Colonel and eight of his former soldiers, who had stuck together all this time since the war. The story was they were all too drunk with blood to return to peaceful life after the war. Too many years of holding the power of life and death had corrupted them - they were men who thought nothing of taking life, who would kill for the sheer fun of it.

All were fiercely loyal to Mulligan, each for their own reasons. Paco chuckled to himself at Mulligan's practice of keeping his own men in the dark - having told Jeb not to worry about the Indian scout he spotted, Jack had secretly sent another man back down the trail on an assassin's mission. For all Mulligan's power, he could never allow himself to trust even those who were most loyal to him. The curse of the man with too many ghosts in his dreams, Paco thought.

Paco know many men who were simple criminals, and of course the Comancheros to whom he served as Mulligan's liaison - no squeamish fellows those, they had no compunction about killing when necessary, or even merely advantageous. But Mulligan's men seemed to raid, to murder, out of some sickness. Men, women, children - they killed indiscriminately, even infants. At times revulsed by their wanton violence himself, Paco understood well the fear with which these men were regarded. For now, he could offer them the services of the Comancheros and various thugs, thieves and cutpurses; his many connections served as a ready-made spy network for Mulligan in the border areas. But Paco could not escape the uneasy feeling that these men did not do things for the same reasons as other men; and he was not sure how far they could be trusted, nor if they truly trusted him. For a moment, he almost hoped that whoever was following Mulligan would finally be the one to take him out, and end his reign of terror.

Grizz had taken care adjusting the pack on the pack horse, he'd staged a couple of rifles just under the flaps, they couldn't been seen, but could be easily reached if you knew they were there. He c hung the greener over the saddle horn and had his rifle out. He slung the cartridge belt over this shoulder. Taft laughed at the sight. "Expecting trouble there Grizz?" Grizz nudged his horse a bit faster and grunted "ready for trouble."

Their captive was not being overly cooperative in spite of his bindings, Grizz was starting to wonder if bringing him along had been such a good idea after all. But if nothing else they'd make it to Deja's place soon and they could leave him there tied up in the cellar.

"EE, you and Grizz go on ahead. I'm gonna check this side canyon with our friend here to see ifin there's any water."

"Ok Hawk. You'll be alright?" "Sure" I said. I took the side canyon and neither Grizz or EE caught on till it was too late. When I came out the other side, I had a blood scalp hanging from me saddle. Both men looked wilded eyed at me. "If he had got lose, he would have rode right back to Black Jack and he would have done to him what I have already done. Now...lets move on to Deja's saloon !"

We rode hard all day, in silence, not stopping for dinner. Each man thinking on his own actions and what he would do when the time comes. We reined up at Deja's saloon bout 10:00 at night. We walked in and ordered a drink. I said, "3 whiskeys here barkeep" No movement from him. I said again, "Barkeep, 3 whiskeys here !" Still no movement from him. Grizz muttered "I've had nuff !" pulls out his greener, pulls both hammers back, aims it at the mirror and lets go with one barrel into the mirror.

He then sits the greener leaning back against the bar, shouting, "We'll have those drinks now !!!" The barkeep ran over saying "Don't have whiskey, just rye !" "Be ok just as long as it gets here quick !" He poureda drink for Grizz then EE, starting to pour mine while he says, "Hey...We don't serve his kind here !"

Everyone was on edge from Grizz and his greener, so I played off their fear. I drew my Dragoon, cocked it and pointed it at the side of his face. "Don't think we've met, young man. The marksman there is Grizzy Dave, and the guy eye balling you with his hand on his pistol butt, that's EE Taft. Me...I'm" ......"I know who the hell you are injun!" With that I wacked him upside the nose with my pistol. I pour myself a drink,..threw the glass in the air and shot it. "Then I serve myself !!"

"What the heck's gonna on here? I wont tolerate gun play here !!" " Howdy Deja" EE said as he grinned and slowly turned toward here. "Hello Mis Deja. Is the pizza ready" Grizz said, never letting his hand leave his greener. "Who's that with ya there?" she asked. With my back still turned toward her I said, "Come on blood sister, ya don't remember what I look like ?" "Oh it's a party time here at the saloon ! All my friends are here. Come, sit, I will bring you some food and more whiskey." Deja happily walked off into the kicthen.

Grizz's shoulder was hurting pretty bad, it had been even before he let both barrels fly at the mirror. He felt bad about Deja's mirror but damn if he'd take rude behavior from a man... especially a bartender. His treatment of Hawk just cemented his opinion of the feller. Grizz had taken great care to select and train those that tended bar at his place. He always told them 'greet everyone the same, with a bottle and a glass, just like you would your long lost brother' and in the event they couldn't, at least let the patron know that you'd seen them and would be along directly.

Hawk went to the kitchen to catch up with Deja and Grizz talked with Taft in low tones "EE, if'n that feller is any indication, I reckon Black Jack has eyes and ears all around." Taft poured himself another rye, drank it and then said "was thinkin that same thing, I'll go move the horses round to the back." Just then Hawk came out of the back with three steaming plates of food. "Best take the horse down the trail a way and then double back thru the woods, then it will look like we moved out."

"Damn your injun hearing" Grizz muttered under his breath. "We was gonna do just that, we ain't rank amateurs ya know"

Hawk grinned "I heard that too"

We all ate our fell dat night. After running a cold camp for many days, a good hot steak is welcomed. Along with some hot coffee, followed by some rye.

"Sorry bout yur barkeep Deja. Guess the boy should have learn more matters in school." "That's alright Hawk. Was thinking bout replaceing him anyway. Run off more customers than he brought in. Hawk, how long y'all be staying here ?" she asked. All looked at me. Grizz was hopeing I say a few weeks...he was tried....EE was hopeing I would say we'd be leaving at sunup. He wanted to do some killing real bad. Not that I could blame either of them.

"We just hit town...low on supplies and we and our horses need a rest." I said to her. When she asked why we were here and what we are going to do, Taft told her the whole story. She ran back into the kitchen and a few minutes , after regaining her composer, came back to our table. I could see she had been crying..hard. " Guys, you know I love ya to death and will do anythin for ya.All ya got to do is ask. I get you re-supplied, fresh horses, and such."

I was already planning our next move. We had to move carefully in town as not to stir up any questions. If Black Jack had outriders here, they would know that we left town that night. Black Jack didn't know I was comeing after him. He had even on his plate to worry bout...the Apaches...The Marshall, we all knew he is on the stage's payroll..and the Army...not to mention the Federailis in Mexico. He had to keep moving. If he had left outriders to watch his back trail, they most certainly would report back to him if they saw anything. I thought I would watch for a few days and see. And rest. If they didn't report back to him, I'll make my self known to them and see what they do.

I placed some double eagles in Deja's hand. This should cover the mirror, our meals and whiskey for the next few days." Deja looked at them and her eyes got wide ! "Hawk, where did you get these? There in mint condition." she said. She looked up at me and said in a low voice, "Stolen ?" I just smiled and finished my coffee, looking forward to the rye.

Grizz refused another rye and pulled the bottle of laudanum out of his saddle bag. He knew Deja wouldn't sleep and felt comfortable that he could sleep soundly in the back room on the cot she had there. A good nights sleep up off the ground would do wonders for his aching bones. He hoped Hawk wouldn't tarry here for too long, Black Jack was sure to get wind they were coming, and a surprise attack was usually the best for the attackers, the other way around and you faced an enemy that had time to dig in and prepare.

"I'm goin to sleep now, I'll be ready to go come morning" Grizz told them as he excused himself to the back room.

Hawk nodded and Taft didn't even look up from the cards he was playing with on the table. "I know ya will Grizz."

Hawk was hoping his scout would come in yet tonight with word. Unless Black Jack was farther away then he thought, he should be showing up soon. Unless.... Hawk pushed that thought from his mind and pulled his knife and tested it's sharpness by shaving his arm.

I lite up a smoke. Normally, I use the tobacco for Mother Earth, but tonight I let myself relax. First time in a long time. I looked around the saloon...the saloon that Deja loved...miners, hard luck gamblers, drinkers and smokers, and a few professional gamblers. And the friendly game between buddies. Smoke hung low in the room and even with the desert night heat, it was still somewhat cool. Big and small tables, faro table, craps and a long bar.

I was about to turn in, so I made my way to the outhouse. And I saw a shadow quickly move back into the darkness. Could this be another of Black Jack's men ? "Well he don't want to mess with me, not when I'm reliving myself !" I draw my Dragoon, cocked it and set it down near the sit. Finishing up, I hoilstered my pistol and slowly walked back inside.

"Damn EE...Aces and Eights....Don't he know thats a dead man's hand ?"................

Archived