SASS Wire Forum

And da story never ends

Grizz slept deep but woke as he heard the creak of the door opening to the store room. The light from the Saloon outlines a figure of a man in the doorway as Grizz cocked the greener he had under the blanket. Taft spoke quickly in hushed tones "don't shoot Grizz it's me, we gotta move."

As Grizz pulled his boots on Taft came in lit a lamp and shut the door. "What time is it anyway" Grizz croaked, his voice still not fully awake. "Bout two hours til dawn I reckon" Taft answered. "Whats the plan" Grizz said not wasting any words. "Hawk woke me a few minutes ago, said to wake you up and get ready to ride, that's all I know"

The brisk early morning air brought Grizz fully awake as they worked their way quietly to the barn. Inside they found three horses saddled with their saddles, their own horses eating lazily in stalls. Other than the animals, the barn was empty. Grizz checked the cinch, and then unloaded and reloaded his rifle with ammo from his saddle bags that he'd taken in with him.

The night was calm and quiet other than the occasional call of a coyote in the distance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the three men rode off into the dark a late night half moon dimmly lit the trail. Taft was at the tail of the string calmly watching behind with a sense that something was not right. The coyotes yelped here and there and there was little if any movement other than the gentle canter of the horses. Taft continued to watch when something from behind caught his eye. He rolled down from the horse with his '73 in hand and dropped in behind a boulder.....

"Taft" Grizz gruntingly whispered, "What'cha doin'?

"Git down!!" growls Taft.

Just then a shot rings out missing all the men and hitting the canyon wall sending it zinging through the trees. Taft is the only one to see the burst of faint light from the shot and by then Grizz and Hawk were down from their mounts and taking cover.

Grizz, laying next to Taft rolls to look and says, "Do ya see'em?"

Taft at that moment sees a glimmer off of a silver concho slide and without a word he raises and fires at the shadowy figure. Then silence........

A split second later they all hear the sound of a blood curdling gurgle. Taft stands and moves towards the sound. his spurs and chaps fringe dragging in the brush. He comes upon a man shot through the throat and dead by the time he gets there.

"Spect this'd be one of Black Jack's boys." Taft grumbled, "Better keep an eye out fer more."

Grizz and Hawk turned back to the horses and gathered them in to mount up. Grizz turned back to Taft to see that he was following.

Taft spits a charge of Copenhagen hitting the dead man between the eyes.

"Lot 'a damn good it'll do ta get information outta a dead man." Taft growled.

He moved quickly back to his horse and remounted.

"Coyotes'll be eatin' good tanight." Taft chuckled.

They continued on......

~EE~

With some many of Black Jack's outriders not reporting back to him, he must surely be figgerin' that they have ridden off with out their promised pay or been killed. Either way, he'll be waiting for me, us, to stike. They where heading to Santa Rosa, a little Spanish mission, saloon, dry goods and post/telegrah office. I knew we had to get there first and I knew a short cut.

While Taft was playing and loseing at poker, and Grizz was sleeping, I made my way out to the local apache village. I spoke with Chief Graycloud about giving Black Jack a hard time before they got to the mission. At first, he said no but when I told him what Black Jack had done to me, I felt his heart sink. I could see it in his eyes. "Mess with one Apache, you mess with'em all !" he seemed to say without saying a word. He ordered to wake bout half of the braves, put war paint on, and ride out. I then rode back into town and told Taft to saddle up.

The land around Santa Rosa was hilly with rocks here and there. I could not let'em get into the town, fearing what they may do to the towns folk. They had to pass throught a small canyon, if you would call it that. A horse could climb the hills, if spured on enough. I would set my trap there.

I would have EE on one side of this "canyon". He'll be shooting down on them from the right. Grizz would be behind a rock on the left. And I would be behind the rock just outside of town facing them. "Sounds like a good plan" I said to myself as I got back into the saddle. "But it's missing somethin', but don't know what and THAT I don't like. Grizz and Taft could get killed!"

I spured my horse on to a full gallop, knowing full well it would be played out by the time we got there.But Apaches are known for three things...horsemanship....tracking.....ferious fighting skills. It took a while but we where at the edge of town bout sunup.That's when it hit me....what 'I didn't know"...DYNIMATE !!! I reinned my horse to a stop, pulled the dynimate out of my saddlebags, took my fighting knife and started to dig. "Damn" said Grizz. Taft said "Well, don't just sit on you're horse like a knot on a log, get out of that saddle and help the man!" He was already reaching into my saddlebag for a few sticks, looking my way, lining up by eye sight and then moving forward some. "This will surely open their eyes some" Grizz said.

"Nuff talk !!" I said in a frim voice. My mind was in two places...back in the Confederate Army and dealing with these muderers. "Taft' take up a postion in those rocks, lieing on you're belly. Here..take my spy glass...you'll be the first one to see'em when they ride in. Grizz you're postion is behind that big rock on you're left. Should give you enough fire and move room." "Where you gonna be?" asked Taft. "There.." I said. It was a small rock at the edge of town..just big enough to hide behind. "Now, you boys know whay I gave you those lever action 45-70's. Not only shooting'em, but a few place shots at that dynimate we just planted and we'll seal'em in." "Fight to the death, uh," said Grizz.

"Is there any other way ?" I said. Taft just smiled and took up his postion.....

"Hey Jeb - come over here, I gotta job fer yew," Mulligan called as the group stopped to set up camp. Jeb Cowart turned and walked over to where Black Jack stood facing east. "When you mentioned an Injun tailin' us the other day, I had Briscoe send word back for Guffey ta find out who the Injun was reportin' to, then pick up some hard luck cowpokes and take 'em down to check out our tail. Well, them hard luck cowpokes never made it back, and tha latest word from Guffey is they scalped the first one. The second one is tailin' 'em with orders to ambush if'n he gits a chance. Figure they'll probly kill thet one too, but Guffey's hanging back ta watch 'em. Guffey's stayin' well back, he's got a third hand trailin' nummer two...in case they figure someone's followin' behind once they git him. Whoever it is has got some guts - they gotta 'spect us to come back and revenge our own."

Mulligan paused a moment. The hired hands were expendable, but Guffey was one of the core Raiders, a Confederate Sergeant from Alabama who'd been with Mulligan almost as long as Cowart and Briscoe. The third hand was just a sacrificial lamb to provide cover for Guffey.

"If they's smart they prob'ly figgered out where we're headed. What they don't know is we're onto 'em. I want yew to ride on down to Lago and round up ten or so boys to go give 'em a greetin'. They're expectin' some kinda welcome, shore hate ta disappoint 'em." Mulligan scratched at his chin, "Whatever yew do, hang back 'n' don't let 'em see yew. I wanna know how many they are, how they're armed, and who's in charge. I got my suspicions, but we need to get a closer look - besides, I wanna see how they fight, an' how much fight they got in 'em. Use some boys that are good with a gun - but not too good, let's save our best for the real showdown. The one that comes when and where Black Jack chooses ...yew got it?"

"I got it, Colonel. Where will we catch up?"

"Yew 'member 'at ole Bar-H line shack about 8 miles south a' Santa Rosa?"

"Shore do," Jeb replied.

"Good. Paco's gonna round up some a' his banditos and bring 'em there. Briscoe'll git word to the Comancheros ta be makin' ready - I don' like tha Apaches helpin' our tail ... might be a brave or two ... might be tha whole damned tribe's on his side. We gotta know who we're dealin' with, Jeb." Mulligan frowned and scratched his head. "If they figgered out we're headed ta Santa Rosa they'll set up a ambush. If'n it was me, that spot at Miller's Gap with the steep slopes each side a' the road is where I'd do it. Send the boys in thet way - make sure they're ready for a fight, but not lookin' there. If'n they do ambush, we want tha surprise ta look real. And Jeb - no one yer too fond of now, 'em boy's prob'ly ain't gonna make it back."

"No worries, Colonel. Prob'ly jus' one more gaggle o'bounty hunters ta send ta Hell!" With that, Coward mounted up and headed off to work Mulligan's bidding.

"Hey Briscoe, c'mere. Need yew ta carry a message ta Paco's Comanchero chief..."

We were all set up...waiting to see what happened. Main street ran north and south.. the sun was coming up in the east. We were all set and waiting. I wonder if they would suspect that we'ed be set up around those high rocks bout a mile or two outside of town. Just don't seem like they would....

"EE, Grizz get over here now !" I shouted with all my might. And they came running. "What the hell is wrong with you ?" Taft asked. "What's going on.." "Tell us Hawk". "Boys I let my thrist for blood cloud my mind. They aint gonna hit us here. Too obiouous . They'll be holed up at a line shack I know of....bout 8 or so miles to the south of here. Lord...I could have gotten my freinds killed here today!"

EE said to me,"Hawk, the horses are played out ! there's no way to get there till morning !" And Grizz said , "I aint too cotton on riding into battle with some mudering bastards in the broad daylite." "Well, they will send in spies to check us out...find out how strong we are..and the fire power we're packing. We got to blend into the town real quick. Taft, you and me will hide the horses out in the scrub some whars..don't want'em to find the horses. Grizz, take my spy glass and watch for some men riding up to town, when ya see'em meet us at the saloon."

We took the horses and fled out into the srrunding hills. I did not like this feeling of being out smarted..blind sided by my own blood lust. "Taft, you go back to the saloon. You and Grizz throw one back, then order nother just to sip on. Don't sit at the tables..stay at the bar. I've got some bussiness to check on !" "No you don't Hawk! You're not keeping us safe and thinking you can take'em on all by you're lonesome you damn fool !" "Taft, I have no intention of taking them on all by my self. Going to see if I can get some help from another Apache tribe here bouts. Mulligan knows Apache want his hide, but no idea how many are after him....I inten to let him know the whole Apache nation is after him !!"

Jeb Cowart squinted hard against the blinding sun. He was following about 2 miles behind a group of hired guns, on the trail into Santa Rosa. "Well, could Jack'a been wrong about thet tail?" he said to no one there. The group of men ahead of him had to have rode past the heart of Miller's Gap by now, but Jeb hadn't heard the expected sounds of a skirmish in the narrows of the gap. Could it be the party trailing Mulligan's Raiders had let the patrol through while holding fire? Maybe Jack was mistaken about the timing and the tail had held over near Ajo another day. Or maybe they never did stop to set up for ambush, and had ridden into Santa Rosa.

'It's a small town,' thought Jeb, 'if'n they went inta Santa Rosa they'll run across these owlhoots pretty quick' unless they're holed up somewhere. There's only the mercantile or the saloon ta set up in, ain't even a boardin' house. If they're in town, they'll be at tha saloon - jest let the boys get a few rounds a' whisky in 'em and git a little rowdy, there's a good chance they'll show their hand'.

Jeb had told the boys to start trouble and not to keep it secret that they were riding for Black Jack Mulligan. 'Whoever killed those other backtrailers will go for the bait - if they got the guts. I better keep my distance 'til the shootin' starts' he thought as he rode toward Miller's Gap.

I was a foot, running like the wind, when I saw a group of apache closing in on me. "I am Apache! please take me to you're chief !" Their war crys where loud as I mounted a horse and was lead into their hunting/raiding camp. "Kill the white dog !" they shouted. In perfect Apache language I spoke.."I am call Sliverhawk... Son of Two knifes..hear me my people!" I took off my buckskin shirt to show them the mark of manhood that all half-breeds must go through.

"Speak you're mind and heart. You are brave to come here, you may speak." I said "Chief, I ask for you're help. There's a white dog out in you're childrens land. He's a killer..a taker of life.. a defyer of Mother Earth. I must ask for you're help !" "This man is coming here, just a few miles to the north. He will be here soon if not stopped. He has scalped many of our people ! If you choose not to help, please allow me to take three horses back with me. I will return them tomarrow."

"You are the son of Two Knifes...I knew him well. We fought many battles together. We were freinds. We will help you and you can take any horses you wish..as long as I get them back !" their chief said. With that, we stood up, draw a long draw on the pipe to seal the deal. I was shown where they kept the horses and I chose tree of the fasts looking ones. I slide on one bare back, thanking my brother, and rode hard back to town. Little did I know, all the men in the village would be following me.

Jeb Cowart peered through the doorway into the saloon. Mac Taggart, one of his hired guns, shot him a quizzical look. Jeb held up three fingers and Taggart nodded. Cowart turned and walked across the dusty road and around to the back of the telegraph office. 'The boys'll start a ruckus in three minutes, I better get outta sight' he thought as he climbed to the roof of the ramshackle building. 'Perfect, I can see the bar through that high double window' Jeb thought as he settled in to watch...

It was all Grizz could do to keep Taft from starting something in the Saloon. They'd been playing the part of down on their luck cowboys and Grizz had been trying to sell some hides he had along to anyone within earshot. This was clearly local bushwhackers and not part of Black Jacks core group. Taft was playing along and acting drunk and cursing the name of some rancher who had supposedly fired him for spooning his daughter. 'Nice touch' Grizz thought to himself.

Hawk walked in but before he could speak Grizz punched him square in the face. "You damn breed, I'm gonna hang you for what you did to my sister." Hawk appeared much more dazed than he was and didn't offer alot of resistance as Taft tied his hands behind his back. The hooligans all yelled and cursed at Hawk and wanted to go watch the hanging, but the hard case who was apparently in charge shot them a look and they went back inside.

Taft and Grizz made a show of treating Hawk badly and throwing him on a horse outside "well lookee here, he brought us some ponies!" Taft said and pulled the lead rope and pulled them along behind. "Lets hang him from the tall tree at the edge of town" Grizz said as they rode off that direction. When they were sure no one was following, Hawk pulled his hands free from the loose ropes behind his back. "Damn it Grizz, that hurt!" "Half of them fellers in that Saloon were hired guns for Black Jack, no sense tipping our hand just yet" Grizz told him. Taft grinned "Grizz, I thought ol hawk was gonna cut your throat for a minute back there." Taft had pulled a pistol and told Hawk to drop the knife before one of the cowpokes got any ideas. Grizz pulled Hawks knife from his belt and handed it to him "I reckon you'll be wanting this back."

Jeb kicked in the saloon door and strode quickly up to Mac Taggart. "Ya blamed idjit! You just got made a fool Taggart - those were the riders we're lookin' for!"

"Just looked like hard-rode saddle bums ta me. That short stout one just about broke that breed's nose, you sayin' that was some kinda act?" Taggart shot back. He didn't appreciate Cowart taking that angry tone in front of his men.

"Sure put one over on you, Taggart. That's three of 'em anyhow, they musta split up. Smart bastids too, they sure got outta here quick before your dumb arse figgered out what was goin' on."

Mac Taggart could bear no more. "Look here, Cowart", he began as he reached for the smaller man's lapel - but he never finished his sentence. In a flash, Cowart jammed a derringer under Taggart's chin and pulled the trigger; the flesh of his neck muffled the pistol's report, and Taggart fell to the floor, lifeless.

The seven cut-throats who rode in with Taggart stood gaping in disbelief. "You!" Cowart yelled at the largest of them, "get this gang riding after them -- or you'll get the same as him. I'm not payin' you to cry for Taggart, get your assess out after 'em!"

"Sure thing, Mister Cowart -- w-we're just goin'!" The men rushed out the door and rode out after Hawk, Grizz and Taft...

'Fine,' thought Cowart, 'I'll give 'em twenty minutes and head out after 'em. I'll see if they can catch these boys, and what kinda shape they're in when I get there.'

"Taggart , you dumb sumbitch," Cowart said as he rolled the lifeless body over onto its back, "I did you a favor not lettin' Jack get ahold of ya, after you let them bastards get away." He reached into Taggart's breast pocket and pulled out a stack of bills. "At least I can tell the Colonel he'll get to keep his money."

"Well don't just stand there staring, send for the undertaker and get this mess cleaned up", Jeb quipped to the bartender as he turned and walked out.

"That feller that came in a flashed a sign I figger is Black Jacks man, he'll hang back and see how those hired thugs fare than then report back" Taft said as they rode along. "Best we get off the main road then" Hawk said leading the way off into the bush. "Good chance they'll figure it out and be after us shortly, Grizz, circle around a few times with those ponies and go up the road about a mile and find a good hiding place" Hawk directed. "That will hide our numbers, and Taft and I can follow them in"

Grizz did as directed and tied the horses off in a thicket just over a rise from the road, he took his saddle bag with ammo in it, his rifle, and moved back to a rock outcropping overlooking the road.

With any luck they could take care of this bunch, lay a false trail for Black Jacks man and then follow him back to Black Jack himself.

Grizz had figured 7 fellers from what he'd seen at the Saloon, Six riders rounded the bend coming hell bent for leather. With this bunch he figured what they didn't kill would scatter to the wind, low rent hired guns rarely stayed around long when the odds were no longer in their favor.

Grizz caught a glint of a reflection off of something about a hundred yards behind the riders, 'gotta be Hawk and Taft' he figured. He'd placed himself pretty much dead on with the road as it curved below him to avoid the rocks in which he was hiding. And as such, even with the riders coming fast he wouldn't have to lead them on the shot. The feller in the lead was the one that had wanted to scalp Hawk in the Saloon, Grizz took aim and fired. Even before the first shot hit he levered another round and fired again. The lead rider fell and the second in line did likewise.

As soon as Grizz's first shot rang out, Hawk and Taft must have opened up as well as Grizz saw the rearmost rider fall as well. The rest of the riders started to scatter and Grizz unleashed a volley of shots as quickly as he could not taking much care in aiming. He figured anyone watching from far off would figure on more shooters that way.

Grizz reloaded and watched the dust settle, then skinned down the back of the rocks, got his horse and the ponies and headed to where Hawk and Taft should be. We he got there, it was only Taft. Down closer he could see that Taft had picked off two of the riders as well, and maybe wounded another.

"Where the hell is Hawk?" Grizz asked getting off his horse.

"He was gonna watch the back trail, and said something about getting a party ready for Black Jacks man when he got here" Taft answered. Grizz could only imagine what that would entail. He tied off the horses and settled in to wait keeping an eye peeled not only at the road, but all around as well.

Jeb Cowart surveyed the carnage. "Poor rascals never had a chance", he muttered to himself as he took a mental tally of the scene. Five riders each killed with the first shot - Jeb recognized the massive wounds left by the potent 45-70 cartridge. 'Whoever it is, they got some big-time firepower,' he thought. Further back up the trail he'd seen one rider neatly dispatched, apparently with a large hunting knife. The sixth rider had taken a hit from a bullet but managed to hold on and was apparently trying to clear out when someone got him - with the same hunting knife that took out the man who brought up the rear.

It was no surprise that Taggart's men had been bested by the strangers, but just how quickly and thoroughly they were dispatched caused Jeb some concern. Clearly, these men were not to be trifled with, they acquitted themselves pretty well in a gunfight. 'Damn shore a lotta lead slung here, for three shooters,' Cowart mused, 'mebbe they had 'em a Gatling gun set up on that rock'. Shading his eyes with his hand, Jeb peered up at the large rock overlooking the road. Little did he know, two sets of eyes peered down on him from above as another watched his broad back from within the trees to his rear.

'Reckon I better hike up there and have a look at the footprints', he thought, 'could be there was more men waitin' on those three out here....Jack's gonna want ta know how many there was, that took out Taggart's men'.

Grizz and Taft didn't know for sure where Hawk was at the moment, but he was close by that much was certain.

They watched at the man rode thru where the gunmen lay dead. He made a beeline towards the bottom of the rocks where Grizz had hidden himself, dismounted and started to climb.

"That is the feller who flashed the sign at the Saloon" Taft whispered "now he's trying to figure our numbers"

"Yup, watch this Taft, if he skirts over the right..." Grizz answered "Just over that lip he's about to reach for is a big rattler sunning himself"

Taft about bust a gut trying not to laugh out loud. The man got about halfway thru pulling himself up and the rattle must have started as he just froze, one leg pushing him up, the other in mid air and both hands holding tight on the rocks.

Jeb recoiled at the sound of the rattler; overbalanced, he fell backward. The impact knocked the breath out of him, and he rolled head over heels down the craggy rock, landing with a thud on the dusty road below. Stunned, Jeb closed his eyes and strained to maintain consciousness. Blinking his sight back into focus, Jeb began to make out a fuzzy figure who suddenly leaned down over him...

I reached down , taking his gun and derringer and belly gun. I put my knee on his chest and whispered, "Take this back to Mr. Muilligan !" and I drew my fighting knife and cut a long, deep slice into his cheek. "Aahhhh" he cryed out and grabed his cheek. "You sumbitch, I'll kill you !" I smiled,almost laughed, saying, "I wish you would try..I really do !!" I feft his knife in his boot and his hand made no move for it. So I handed it to him, blade first. "Go head and take it. I'll scalp you before you get you're hands on the blade !!"

I felt udder rage rushing through my veins!! I wanted so much to slit this killers throat, scalp him and be done with him. But I needed him alive...at least for a few more days to send a message to Black Jack. "Tell Black Jack, there aint enough angels in heaven nor demons in hell to keep me from killing you! You can go Noyukka on me, I don't care. I will hunt you done like the animal you are and will kill that animal ! You got that, you sumbitch ?" "Yeah, I got it", he chocked out, "Any thin' else, half breed ?" The rage over took me and I drew my scalpin' knife, with my knee bearin down on his chest, I started to slice. With his screams I reailzed what I was doing. "NO" i heard myself say.."We need him alive !!"

"The way back to town is 20 so miles. I feel a man like you can manage that. Start walkin!!" He stampered off in the dust while I looked over the dead. And I found the man who wanted my scalp, so I took his. Long and wavey...just like my wife's hair I thought. I was feeling bloody and Grizz and Taft came walking up to me. All I remember hearing was one of them saying "My Lord Hawk !!

"Dayam Hawk, I hope my 45-70 didn't spoil your trophy there too much" Grizz said.

Hawk didn't even seem to have heard. Taft and Grizz shot each other a look and backed off to collect the horses. On their way back they wondered if letting that feller go was such a good idea. Black Jack obviously knew someone was coming for him, but it wasn't clear if he knew who, or how much help they had with them.

On the way back in, they came across the local law. "You must be the boys that Taggerts bunch was heading after" he said not wasting any time with formalities. "Reckon we is" Taft told him not volunteering any further information. "Don't reckon they found you then" the law continued "I've been after them for a week". "Oh, they found us just fine" Grizz said with a grin "they just didn't like the reception we gave 'em." The lawman seemed relieved at that. "I've got paper on all of them, you got some reward due ya."

Taft looked and Grizz and then back to the Sheriff, "Tally it up and divide it among any widows they made."

When they got to the scene of the ambush, Hawk was gone, or at least nowhere in sight of the lawman. The sheriff looked over the bodies identifying each as went, "where is that stranger that fell in with this bunch yesterday?"

Grizz and Taft shrugged their shoulders to say they didn't know.

It was a hard walk back to town for Jeb Cowart. He'd torn the sleeves off his shirt and tied them on his head as makeshift bandages for the cuts Hawk had given him. He had a burning desire to take matters into his own hands and go after Hawk himself, but he knew that it would be better for him to stick to Black Jack Mulligan's plan; if Jeb went off-script with Mulligan, he'd kill Cowart real slow and painful, just to make an example of him - no matter how long they had rode together. With Black Jack, the first time you ignored orders would be the last.

Too weak to make the trip back to Mulligan's hideout at the old Bar-H line shack, Cowart found a spot near the road to Santa Rosa to settle in. 'It's cool here, with good shade and a view of the road,' Cowart thought, 'I'll hole up here and rest for a spell. If those varmints come by here I'll look 'em over - there has to be more of 'em than just that Breed. Guffey may still come into town this way too, I can hook up with him before we catch up with Jack, if'n he does.'

Cowart found a nearby stream to rinse his makeshift bandages and clean his wounds. Re-dressing them, he settled back with a view of the road, and waited...

Grizz and Taft watched as the Sheriff rode back towards town. when he was out of sight, Hawk appeared from nowhere, it was as if he had been there the whole time, but they couldn't see him before. He'd calmed down considerably and was standing with his face into the sun and nose into the breeze with his arms held open, like he was soaking it all in.

Grizz had been aware for a while now that they were being watched. A group of indian braves was holding just back of the tree line, out of sight unless you were very observant.

Hawk took in a large breath of the wind, let it out slowly and then lowered his arms. "The snake I let slither away was one of Black Jacks men. Saddle the ponies I brought, we ride now"

They kept to the woods and avoided the road when possible. Their indian escort was still with them though were still staying out of sight.

"Hawk, you figure on taking them tonight, or we gonna pull up and camp somewhere?" Taft asked.

Hawk looked at him and said nothing, echos of the past, present, and future spinning around in his head.

"Black Jack was a military man, we have to expect some of the same tactice from him, he'll have spies and sentries posted all over the place" Grizz said.

The silence fell heavy upon the afternoon as they plodded along, the sounds of horses hoofs and a wayward bird call the only thing breaking the silence.

Unhooking the wires, Rufus Briscoe tucked his harness and earpiece into his shirt and clambered down the telegraph pole.

"Yes sir, Colonel - the operator up in Santa Rosa sez he talked to tha Sheriff. Taggart's whole crew's been kilt. Word is Jeb did Taggart in hisself. Sherriff said he saw two men who'd gone up against Taggart's boys...they got 'em all, a couple real bloody like."

"Two men?" Mulligan asked.

"He said two, sir."

"Vendetta killin's sounds like. Maybe Taggart's riders got the others, don't seem like two men coulda got 'em all alone. No word 'bout Cowart I guess?"

"Nope"

"Well, Guffey oughtta be pullin' into Santa Rosa about sundown. Knowin' him, he probably picked up another couple of pistoleros along tha way. He'll be lookin' for Cowart. What time did you set for tha next wire?"

"He'll be by the telegraph 'til he hears from us - he's to wire at midnight if not."

"Good, Paco will be back afore next daylight. The Comancheros should be ridin' this way come mornin' too. It'll be like old times, Briscoe", Jack grinned through yellow teeth beneath wild eyes.

"What bout that "snake" Hawk. Aint cha gonna follow him..see where he leads us ? Taft said. Grizz chimed in also.. "Don't seem right to me Hawk, that we did all that fighting back there for nothing !" "Well, y'all got the re-ward, right ? And I did'nt let him run away. I've got he tailed. He'll go just where I was hoping he would." Grizz spoke up again. "Sorry for questioning you Hawk, but when you dissappear like you just did..well...it spooks me." "Like some damn injun, uh ?" Taft said, jokingly. Hawk finally let a smile slip on his face.

They rode on back toward Santa Rosa, but through the desert, not taking the road. Both Grizz and Taft saw the fresh scalps on his saddle..drying in the desert sun. Hawk knew what was on their mind. "I let that sumbitch live cuz I wanted to know where Black Jack Mulligan is. I also know that if he don't report to Black Jack, that Black Jack would kill'em for sure. So, he's on his way to him. But now he's hole up near the stream nad close to the road to Santa Rosa. That's why we'er going this way." Taft said,"They aint got nothing to due with it, do they?" He nodded to the riders very far away. "Yup" I said. They are my people. They have our backs..Trust me."

It was near sunset when we got back to Santa Rosa. We rode to livery, like we are new to the town. We left the ponies for the livery man to care for. I pulled out another 2 double eagles and gave them to the old man. I whispered in his ear and he smiled and laughted, took the ponies away. We walked into the saloon, got a bottle and table, ordered up some grub, and chowed down. None of us talked about the days events, which was fine with me. "Hawk, just so you know, the law has been asking for you." I nodded and kept eating. Fighting and rage takes alot out of a man.

I poured us all a long pour drink. "Boys, we are bout to got "Noyyuka" on Black Jack. He'll not see what's coming nor the direction it's coming from." Taft, seeming a little un-easy said, "Damn it Hawk, stop talking injun to us !" He realized what he had said and was not backing down. Our friendship was strained and I knew it, so I explained. "EE, Grizz, going Noyyuka means like round about. If a man says he going this way, it means he's going t'other. After we rest a spell, we'll ride back to Nogales and set a trap. Black Jack thinks we're coming for him in that line shack. But we'll hit him on his blind side."

Grizz fumed, "What damn line shack ? You know where that sumbitch is and you're gonna run from him !!" I hung my head cuz I knew I had pushed to hard these last few days. "I...We aint running Grizz...We're setting up a ambush that he and his gang will ride into but not ride out of." That got Taft's atttention. "What yur plan there Hawk ?" "Tell ya at the saloon at Nogales, Taft. It's best if you all don't know too much just in case..."

I got up from the table, threw my whiskey back and said, "Y'all git some rest. It's been a long day!"

Taft and Grizz watched Hawk walk out of the Saloon.

"I noticed on the way in here they got a telegraph office" Grizz said.

"ayup, noticed that too, wonder if that's how ol black jack is picking up info"

"had that same thought. But they could have just as well climbed a pole and sent they own messages"

"dey kin do dat?"

"oh yeah" Grizz said. "you go find Hawk, we need to make sure he's on the same page, they way he's been lately.."

"Where you gonna be?" Taft asked.

"Gonna buy me some dynomite" Grizz said as casual as if he was ordering a steak.

Taft raised his eyebrows, shook his head, and headed off to find Hawk. This trip was getting stranger by the minute.

Jeb Cowart woke with a start. "Damn, somebody ordered you up a filet of face Jeb", Guffey roared "...and here I thought you couldn't get no uglier!" Guffey's copious belly shook as he mocked Cowart with a deep belly laugh. "Reckon we'll haveta sew that ugly kisser back together, or would you rather we take ya to tha Doc?"

"Gimme a candle, a mirror and thread and I'll do it my damn self," Cowart growled "how'd you find me back in heah anyways?"

"You was snorin' ta beat the band," Guffey cracked "lucky fer you whoever sliced you up didn't come by, or they'd'a surely found ya from that racket. You know, I am surprised at you, Cowart - from the signs I saw back at Miller's Gap you let that boy cut you up and live to tell about it."

"I'll be fixin' that little oversight real soon now, don't you worry."

"Got three pistoleros a-ridin with me, Jeb. All we need now is a plan."

"What kinda fool do you think I am, Guffey? My plan is to report in to tha Colonel and do as I'm told."

With that, Guffey dug his field kit out of a saddlebag and handed it to Cowart. Striking a match, he lit a small lantern from another rider's camping pack. Cowart grimaced as he stitched his own face as Guffey relayed the story of the back-trailers who'd been captured or killed by Hawk, Taft and Grizz. Cowart borrowed a fresh shirt, and the men rode toward Santa Rosa. They hooked around town to avoid being seen, and Cowart waited with the hired guns while Guffey went on to the Telegraph office.

The telegraph operator looked up as Guffey came in the door. "Got a message fer Jack Mulligan."

"Got 'em on the wire now...go ahead with your message", the operator replied.

"Here with JC and three guns. Taggart lost. Orders? Guffey."

The operator tapped on his telegraph, then listened as he scribbled on a note pad.

"The far end says 'Targets in Saloon. Send guns in blazing, you and JC watch back alley'," the operator finally spoke.

Guffey was off like a bolt.

The operator slowly turned, raising his hands. Taft stepped out from behind a curtain, his pistol trained on the telegraph man. "Good job. What did Mulligan say?"

The operator read from the note he'd just written. "Do not engage. Come to Bar-H north line."

"Much obliged, mister. Now you're comin' with me." Taft took the man to the back room where he bound and gagged him. "Don't start no fuss now, I'll come back for ya as soon as we take care of a little business."

I went out into the desert and amogst my people. I need help...none of which Taft nor Grizz can give. They are a man's best friends, whit they are white. I need Redman's help. I walked my horse into Chief's Graycloud's camp and a very young brave ran to met me and take the reins. Some how I knew the way to the Holyman's small camp. I sat myself down, staring into the fire and sadly said, "I am now lost and know not my way."

The Holyman said to me, "You are lost, no? When a Apache Warrior is lost he turns to the Spriits to be shown the way." He never stopped doing what he was doing, and that was making Piyote. He said , "Here Warror, drink ..and be shown you're path." I took the cup he offered sipped it down and entered the small sweat lodge.I sat there, my eyes closed, letting my mind wander, chating something. I was in the lodge most for the night. I came out at sun raise, I faced east, slowly turning, I faced south, again, slowly turning I faced north and then west, thanking my four brothers for their help and asked them to help me even more. "Show me the way I must travel. Teach me how to keep my freinds safe, let me be very mean and hatefilled to my enemy. He me to honor the memorie of my family."

I washed the sweat off and rode back into town, with a new purpose. I knew what I must do and how to do it. But also, how to keep my freinds safe. I rode into to town, tied my horse outside the saloon and went in. I saw Grizz at the bar. He looked like he just saw a ghost.

"We gotta get outta here, Hawk! We just laid a trap for Mulligan's men and they'll be in here any second!"

Hawk looked at the chair Grizz was leaning over as he stepped back. There dressed in a set of Grizz' spare clothes was a keg of blasting powder.

"I was just rigging a trigger on this -- then we better hurry and meet Taft in the back alley before Black Jack's men get here!"

Grizz finished quickly and he and Hawk slipped out the back, joining Taft.

Just then, Guffey was giving final orders to his men. "That's what the Colonel said, you go in front guns blazing - Jeb and I are riding down to cover the back door. They won't get away this time."

The largest of the hired guns gave Guffey a strange look.

"It's only three men," Cowart shouted "let's go!"

Grizz, Taft and Hawk made it out the back and into the tress just before two riders came slipping in behind the Saloon.

Shots rang out from inside just before the explosion knocking the riders from their horses. Before they regained their senses Hawk was on top of Cowert with his knife drawn. Grizz followed his lead and was on top of Guffey who was having obvious trouble breathing. Taft covered them both and kept an eye on the back of the Saloon, with a pistol in one hand, a Winchester in the other.

Hawk looked down at Covert's face, "oh, someone done stitched you up, I can't have that, and started flicking the point of his knife cutting one stitch as a time causing what must have been quite a bit of pain from the way the man was whimpering.

"Hey Hawk, you want I should go get J. Mark and the others?" Taft said. "Shut up you moron, now that they've heard that we gotta kill 'em" Hawk hissed. In his mind Hawk was reeling, 'what the hell is Taft talking about?' he wondered. J. Mark Flint was three states away last he'd heard, but maybe Taft and Grizz had run into him here while he'd been out on his vision quest. Hawk looked over at Grizz, who had just slammed the butt of his knife knocking the man out cold. Grizz had eyeballs that didn't track each other, one was always looking off to one side or another, you couldn't tell what he was looking at most of the time, but Hawk saw him look up at him and wink. It was then Hawk caught sight of someone well down the alley who was trying to stay hidden, but was obviously taking great interest in the goings on.

Towns people came running, along with the sheriff.

The shadowy figure watching from down the alley slipped away in the confusion.

Grizz got up and put a hand on Hawks shoulder, "time to turn these fellers over to the local law." Hawk drew in a deep breath, nodded and pulled his knife away from the mans throat.

Taft had met the sheriff as he approached to give Grizz and Hawk time to do whatever they were gonna do. "I should have know it would be you fellers here" the sheriff said waving his hand towards the smoking saloon. He looked at the two men on the ground, "yup, I got paper on those two, you guys are making my job easy." Taft grinned and held his hand out to shake the sheriffs hand "we aim to please."

It took a little while to lay out what had happened to the sheriff. Taft took the lead as he seemed to have developed a quick friendship with the lawman. Taft was just finishing up when Hawk and Grizz brought up the horses. Grizz walked up to shake the lawman's hand, "sheriff, I feel right bad about that there Saloon, what say you take the reward for those two fellers we just caught and give it to rebuild the Saloon"

The Saloon owner was picking thru the rubble and overheard and came running up "oh thank you meester, you drink free here forever, you an yer frens"

Taft Grizz and Hawk swung up into the saddle, Hawk taking the lead as they rode north out of town. When they'd cleared the last of the buildings Taft spoke up "Hawk, why we going North, by all reports Black Jack is South?"

"That's right Grizz, Black Jacks south and we are heading north...for a reason." "Well I sure hope the hell you'll tells us !" Taft almost shouted at me. "Look fellers, it's been along 2 years tracking Black Jack down, antispating his moves and conter moving them. I thank y'all from the bottom of my heart. Any other freinds would have rode off long before. That's why I asked you fellers. Three days from now, it will all be over and my wife and son can rest in peace."

Taft and Grizz looked startled by that. Grizz spoke out with his bear like paw of a hand standing on his hip, What cha planning now Hawk ?" In my vision quest, I was shown the way, but to get there we must fight. So, before that saloon back there got all blown up, I went to the telegraph office and send a wire to Deja in Ajo. I asked her and Jocye to slowly start ferrying suppiles and 9 horses up the a dug out house I know. Once I recived her responce, I rode bout a mile out of town, and cut the wire. You were right bout two things boys. Black Jack was getting his infomation by telegraph and he had a spy watching us. In fact, he's trailing us now."

Both men turned to look back."How'd he do that ?" asked Grizz in a low whisper. "Don't know". was Taft's reply. "We'll let him see us go into Ajo and then turn more north west after leaving town. The Army's coming from the east. Apaches are out looking for him in the wset, and the Federails is just waiting for him to cross into Old Mexico. So he'll have to go north west..right into our trap." "But he's he gonna know we not at Ajo, or anywhere else for that matter?" "Cause I sent him a message telling him he was about to be surrounded and to high tail it north west. And I signed that fellars name who's dogging us to the message." " I mean this in a kind way, Hawk but..." Taft asked. "What does this injun have planned for them folks?" "And just who's Joyce any way ?"

"I'll explain my plan in more detail when we reach the dug out." I said. I fanially saw what I had to do to go about killing Black Jack.

They rode on mile after mile, retracing their trail towards Deja's. Hawk took the lead, and Taft brought up the rear with Grizz in the middle.

Grizz dozed on and off for miles. After a particularly long period of him snoring in the saddle, Taft was about to wake him when Grizz snapped up tall in the saddle, fully awake, startling Taft who was about to poke him in the ribs with his quirt.

"We're gonna need some cattle" he growled out, his voice apparently still mostly asleep.

"Cattle?" Taft asked.

"Cattle, hundred head, two would be better" Grizz answered.

Taft looked totally bewildered. Hawk on the other hand had a big grin on his face and just nodded.

Okay.. please keep going,.. I am not adding to your story with my blabber fingers.. but I am bringing i to the top.. cuz I love reading it.. I am a math kinda gal.. but I love as great story.. A camp fire, cooking over it, with a glass of wine and a story and I am lost for the night.. lol.. My dad use to tell a great story with my uncle.. and a bit of wine, and this thread bring back memories of a time in the past that I shall miss forever.. when my dad was younger and more able to share his life with everyone... so please continue.. you are making me smile..

Hey Fellers!!!!

I gotz lotz ta do tonight!!

Keep 'er goin' and I'll join back in tomorrow night!

Good stuff, just.........don't get me killed!! :lol:

~EE Taft~

I finished eatting, I poured a round for every one and layed out my plan.

" Grizz, you take a window, Taft you take a door, or you can switch. I need a steady stream of hot lead coming out of this dug out. Joyce, you reload for'em. Deja can help sometimes when she aint shooting." I reached into the cast iron frying pan, picked up something and started chewing. " Now sooner or later, one of the smarter ones will figure out how to get in. They'll be coming through this door." I said, pointing to the bed room door. "When they do, any body near a scatter gun, lett'em have both barrels". I slide the frying pan toward Taft and nodded. He took the clue, and got a pice and ate it. And then he got another." Keep this fire going." I pointed to the fire. And the poker in it. If any one gets hit, slap hot iron to it and go back to fighting."

Grizz reached into the frying pan, got a big piece, then an other big piece. Taft looked at it and remarked, "Dang that's tastey. What is it?" Joyce looked toward me and I nodded. "They're fry grasshoppers. Caught'em this morning near the creek." Taft bolted to the door, gaging as he went. "Don't care for bugs, but these are good." Grizz said with a smile on his face while helping himself to another piece.

"Also", I said, "They will try to lure you out of this dug out by setting those ponies loose. Don't fall for that trick, stay in cover and keep firing. If they have coal oil with them, they will pour it down the fire place. When you hear them on the roof, put the fire out. Question..."

"And what will you be doing then Hawk?" Deja asked, showing some concern on her brow. Joyce sounded off, "He'll be doing what Apache's and raiders to best!!" I winked at her and let a smile slip across my lips.

I met or found Joyce in a saloon near Quartzite. She worked for a man called "Master Okum". She told the story how he was able to "buy" her from her folks for a mule. We hit it off right away. I asked "Master Okum" would he trade her foe something and "Nope" was his reply. Next night, Joyce made a beliver out of him that he really should make a trade. She broke both his knees with a frying pan and followed me to my ranch. She met my wife and babysat our son. She was starting to grow on me.

Black Jack Mulligan rode into Santa Rosa hard up the south road, leading a small army of grizzled fighters. Rufus Briscoe rode up next to him as the ragtag group pulled up to a halt.

"Sheeee-yit Colonel, somebody done blowed that ol' Saloon sky-high! Sumbitches got away from Cowart and Guffey, ah reckon." Briscoe motioned to a couple of tough-looking riders to follow him as he dismounted and started picking through the building's ruins. "Hah," he finally called out, "looks like Guffey picked up those pistoleros all right, I recognize the tatters of this here jacket. Blowed to bits, I mean, I ain't seen nothin' like this since the war, Colonel."

"Where the hell are Guffey and Cowart?!" Black Jack demanded. He leapt from the saddle and marched to the door of the Santa Rosa Dry Goods store. Swinging the door open, he eyed the proprietor who stood behind the counter. "Speak up, you little worm. What happened to Guffey and Cowart?"

"T-t-they w-were arres-ested mister Mulligan sir."

"Arrested? In the Santa Rosa JAIL?!?", Jack glowered.

"Y-y-y-ess, uh - yessir."

Jack roared with laughter and strode out the door and across the dusty main street of the sun-baked Arizona town. "Hey Lefty, come with me - we're havin' us a little jailbreak!"

Lefty Atwood stepped down and grabbed his double-barrel shotgun from the scabbard on his saddle. Mulligan paused by his horse and grabbed his lever-action Winchester. The two men strode toward the far end of the street, where Paco waited, bringing up the rear. Mulligan pointed to Paco, then to his own eyes, then motioned at the jailhouse door. Paco slid from his mount and walked softly over to the corner of the building. He peered into the window for a moment, walked across the front of the building to the other corner, and peered through the second window. Looking back to Mulligan, Paco signaled with five fingers, then pointing with two on the left and three on the right side. Then he went down the windowless side of the jailhouse to the back. There, he saw cell bars - and went in closer to investigate.

Mulligan and Atwood stopped some seven yards shy of the jailhouse corner. Paco returned and nodded to Mulligan with a devilish grin. Jack motioned with his forefinger and thumb, mimicking a gun, and winked at Paco. Paco immediately nodded understanding and turned toward the back of the jailhouse as Mulligan and Atwood strode to the front door of the tiny building that served as the town's sheriff's office and jailhouse.

With a powerful kick, Lefty burst the door open. Turning back to back with Mulligan, the two entered the door sideways. Lefty blasted two men with the double as Mulligan levered his Winchester between alternating rounds into the deputies to the left. As the Sherrif rose to his feet to draw on Lefty, Guffey caught the Colt that Paco tossed between the upright bars of the jailhouse window, and, fanning the hammer, drilled three quick rounds into the Sheriff's back before he could hit the floor.

"Damn. Welcome to Santa Rosa, Colonel" Jeb Cowart called from the cell next to Guffey's as he continued to suture his face.

"Spare me the 'Howdy-Dos' Cowart," Black Jack growled, "I've got a good will ta gut you fer lettin' these sumbitches git 'way in the first place. Now Woody tells me they got the Army, and Apaches, the Federales and the western Texas Rangers all riled up." Mulligan took the cell keys off the body of a still-groaning deputy and tossed them to Cowart. "So git yer ass on a horse and let's ride. We're movin' hard 'n' fast until we meet up with Woody, he'll be tailin' those hombres."

"Woody? The telegraph operator?" Cowart asked, unlocking his door, then Guffey's.

"Damn right. He's still on the payroll, Cowart. At least HE's earning his pay", Mulligan glared.

'He's a hard man', thought Guffey. "Headed where?"

"Up Ajo way, to the Northwest. Let's ride!"

I hated for Grizz, Taft, Deja and Joyce to think I was abandon them, but I would be the best use to them doing what I was trained to do. Gorrilla warfare, just like I did in the war, plus being a breed don't hurt none. I rode out till I was in sight of Ajo. I could see it clear in my spy glass and Black Jack's man watching me.

I smiled a devilish smile, looked to the south west and saw a small dust cloud most white men would miss. My poeple were on the move....and I rode slowly back toward the dugout. The plan was in motion, and not even heaven or earth could stop it now.

Archived