SASS Wire Forum

help with the new 72s

ORNERY OAF

Pards,

Just got a new Uberti 72 open top in 44spl.Love the way it feels and the way it shoots...when it shoots..problem is its binding up as early as 2nd_3rd shot..i shoot only black powder and roll my own or course. problem is after a couple shots,cant cock the hammer and usually have to move the cylinder by hand almost as if the paw isnt moving they cylinder. i take it apart.clean it and keep it lubed with balistol. I know how to shoot bp,its all i shoot but this bothers me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ornery

Wow,

2 of the same answers real fast..cant beat that. i backed the wedge out far as itll go and still lock. Willl put a bunch of rounds downrange tomorrow,thanks so much guys.

and Steeldust....watch your topknot ;)

Ornery

I think you will love the feel and performance of the '72s. I have the 8" barrel models with Army frame in .45 Schofield. Best pointing and most accurate revolvers I've ever handled. I've had mine several years now (8+ years) and have had NO problems. I understand the more recently produced ones have soft firing pins that need to be replaced, although I've not had to do that.

Keey your eyes along the skyline.

Oaf:

You can adjust the cylinder/barrel gap somewhat by turning out the wedge screw and then tapping the narrow (right) side of the wedge to stop against the back side of the screw head.

This will allow a bit more play in the cylinder & should alleviate the problem.

Also, what are you using for bullets?

Do they have enuf lube?

Mav Dutchmans work great in 44 caliber open tops.

When your firing pins need replacing, get hardened steel pins from Happy Trails at the Smith Shop in Warwick RI

--Dawg

Hey Dawg,

good to hear from ya..im using 240g rn castin them meself,lee mould with the big lube groove packed full of ox yoke..i did just that,tapped the pin out to the screw, love the way they point and shoot. 8 in barrel navy frame. was hoping to get a nuther befoore smoke in the woods.

OO

Not real sure what problem you're describing. Is it binding as in the cylinder will only advance with great force on the hammer? Or does the cylinder lock up entirely? I have a pair of Open Tops that had the lock up problem right out of the box. I'd take 'em apart and they'd work fine for a few rounds and then lock up again. Took a good gunsmith to solve that issue. They've been great since.

Does the problem present itself when shooting smokeless rounds? You might give that a try before connecting the problem with BP. Another possibility is that your BP bullets don't have the right kind of lube. Are you by chance using smokeless bullets with the BP?

The barrel wedge is simply a symptom of poor arbor fit. Go here. It explains how to fix the 72's arbor fit. You can mess with the wedge until the cows come home, but unless you fix the arbor/barrel fit you will never solve the problem.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7988.0

Archived