SASS Wire Forum

Gallant Gunfighters

Griff

I attended this club's monthly shoot yesterday. And thru the good graces of good ol' southern hospitality from Buck D Law and Sugah I was able to shoot. I'd like'd to be able to say I competed, but as anyone that sees me shoot, "compete" ain't an adjective one should just bandy about!

Now, I ain't usually one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but... Let's just say, them Ruger Vaqueros everyones so all fired in love with, HAVE to be heavier than my Colts, for the front sights seemed to just droop plumb outta sight, even shootin' two-fisted like! And, those little tiny, bobbed-off hammers... well they must be made especially for those folks Randy Newman sings about in that song Short People. I swear, my thumb just swiped right the top of 'em half the time. I was however, right pleased, (as I'm sure Buck is), that I successfully man-handled a mdl '97 Winchester without bleeding on it. I will take this opportunity to note, without usin' the word gamer that it wasn't until AFTER they yanked it outta my hands and said "...take the miss..." (which probably means in GG code, 'man is stupidly slow'), that they showed me how to clear the obscenely simple jam this entire model of gun is subject to. The one really bright spot of the day, (well, thruthfully, after the pleasure of their company and graciousness) was being fore-warned (take a note here PaleWolf), that Buck's 1873 rifle was "short-stroked!" I was able to make it thru all the stages w/o jackin' out a live one for every one I fired!

Now, all those little piddlin' things aside, here's what surprised me the most: I found a club that's very much like our own in TX (and the several others I've had the distinct pleasure to shoot at); in that, they must be just flat-out atypical SASS clubs.

Not once did I hear any discussion about any of the following:

How finish places were determined; questions regarding rules, and their application in certain instances; nor which guns were "best" for this game. Now I admit, I still have a LOT of clubs left on my "SASS bucket-list," but you'd surely think it'd be encountered, at least occasionally, at the range, given how much bandwidth is wasted on 'em , here on the Wire!

Lastly, this sweet, soft-spoken "Sugah" might, now I ain't claimin' it is, but it just might be a guise, for she carried around a camera most all day... and was overheard sayin' something about postin' pictures on the internet of this writer. Now, I wanna go on record, right here & now, that she was awful proficient with that thing... and any pictures she posts of an old, uncoordinated, clumsy, fat dude are not ME! They been photoshopped!

If any one finds themselves in the Birmingham area on a 3rd Sunday... this is a group you owe it to yourself to shoot with! Oh, yeah, note to the wise... bring yer own guns.:ph34r:

…and here's how you hobble a Griff.

You take a cap and ball black powder Colt shooter and place original Vaquero Bisleys (that's code for big) loaded with smokeless powder in his hands. (Have I mentioned Bisleys have little short Bisley hammers? :D) For good measure, make sure said Bisleys have gunfighter grips so his hands will wrap around the grip at least three times.

You know he shoots a double, so you place a 97 in his hands.

Add a dash of short-stroked 73.

Bake for 80 seconds (25 seconds of shooting and 55 seconds of talking)

And after all this, the man managed to do the old Evil Roy (load one, close, one in the bottom) 97 load with a degree of proficiency that left me standing there in awe. On top of that, it only took him hanging up my 97 one time for someone to show him a "trick" that had I known the "trick" at the Georgia state match in 2009, I could have cleared my 97 and saved myself four misses.

If I could offer Griff one piece of advice that would drastically shorten his stage times, I'd say, "Your shooting's fine, you just need to talk faster." :D

Griff, we sure enjoyed having you and look forward to your next trip to Al-e-bammer. Ya'll come back now, ya hear!

And having met Possum, I can trully say that he DOES NOT look anything like his avatar. :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

I can't think of a better time to show the entire photo that my avatar is taken from. Yes, that is non other than the world famous Widdowmaker Hill and the photo looks just like him.

Ahhhhhh yes. I remember Sugah taking that pix.

We were just lucky enough that the rain stopped long enough for us to pose for that pix.

I bet it took my rain gear 2 weeks to dry out from that match. I remember shooting the last stage of that match standing in about 2" of running water like a small stream. Feet were already soaked. Even my 100X, pure beaver hat was soaked.

Great pix Buck. Sure hope to see you and Sugah at the ShootOut in about 2 weeks. YEEHAW!

..........Widder

…and here's how you hobble a Griff.

You take a cap and ball black powder Colt shooter and place original Vaquero Bisleys (that's code for big) loaded with smokeless powder in his hands. (Have I mentioned Bisleys have little short Bisley hammers? :D) For good measure, make sure said Bisleys have gunfighter grips so his hands will wrap around the grip at least three times.

You know he shoots a double, so you place a 97 in his hands.

Add a dash of short-stroked 73.

Bake for 80 seconds (25 seconds of shooting and 55 seconds of talking)

And after all this, the man managed to do the old Evil Roy (load one, close, one in the bottom) 97 load with a degree of proficiency that left me standing there in awe. On top of that, it only took him hanging up my 97 one time for someone to show him a "trick" that had I known the "trick" at the Georgia state match in 2009, I could have cleared my 97 and saved myself four misses.

If I could offer Griff one piece of advice that would drastically shorten his stage times, I'd say, "Your shooting's fine, you just need to talk faster." :D

Griff, we sure enjoyed having you and look forward to your next trip to Al-e-bammer. Ya'll come back now, ya hear!

Pssst... I knew it were gonna be "trick Griff" day all along. But, I felt it was my duty as a Texan to be big-hearted and just play along. Great pics Sugah. Even the ones of the stand-in for me!

Yea Griff,

I shot with Buck and Sugah at the last Regional.

They were GREAT company.

Maybe we can make them honarary TEXANS???

Y'll Be Safe,

W.E.

Yea Griff,

I shot with Buck and Sugah at the last Regional.

They were GREAT company.

Maybe we can make them honarary TEXANS???

Y'll Be Safe,

W.E.

I do believe that they'd fit right in. Might even be hard to tell from some of home-grown variety! {Buck & Sugah, that right there's a compliment of high order}.

Griff it was a pleasure to shoot with you! You are a great pard.

Sugah that was a great slide show, You were top cowgirl and awesome with guns but I think you are awesomer with that camera!

Widder you look nothing like your Avatar. :D

Archived