SASS Wire Forum

.50-70 Loading Data

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Can anyone point me to some reloading data for the .50-70 Goverment cartridge? I have a line on a nice trapdoor in this caliber, but while I can find many different loads listed as safe for .45-70 Trapdoors, I can't find ANY loading data for the .50-70.

I figure I just don't know where to look.

Suggestions?

Here's a fairly good primer on the Trapdoor => http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/trapdoorspringfield.htm

And another good article here => http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=220&magid=18

Howdy, Pard,

The Lyman 47thEdition loading handbook has quite a few .50-70 Gov't loads, including both BP and Pyrodex (though none of the BP substitute powders). The later, 48th Edition has fewer loads and they are all smokeless (stated for replica rifles ONLY!)

If you are shooting an original rifle, please...HAVE IT THOROUGHLY CHECKED OUT...and remember that even with BP, the latest of those rifles were manufactured 140 years ago (with a possible exception of civilian Sharps rifles), and internal corrosion could cause weak spots in barrels and/or receivers! I used to shoot light smokeless loads in some of these antiques. NO MORE! No, I didn't blow one up, but I've decided to not take a chance, and to preserve these historic pieces for posterity. I would strongly recommend AGAINST shooting any of the 2nd Model Allin Conversion Trapdoors (with the hinge screwed to the barrel). Model 1868 (Stamped "1868," "1869" (or) "1870") or a Model 1870 would be the only ones I'd even think about shooting.

Ride careful, Pard! Godspeed to the victims of the Japanese earthquake, tsunami and reactor problems. Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Can anyone point me to some reloading data for the .50-70 Goverment cartridge? I have a line on a nice trapdoor in this caliber, but while I can find many different loads listed as safe for .45-70 Trapdoors, I can't find ANY loading data for the .50-70.

I figure I just don't know where to look.

Suggestions?

Assuming it is in good shape, use good quality (maybe Swiss 1 1/2) BP and a drop tube, get a charge measured or weighed that when the bullet seats with 1/16" compression, it JUST seats enough to cover the last grease groove. The bullet need not be crimped, and ya will probably do better without a crimp.

The above advice comes from Dave Higginbotham, who probably knows as much as anybody about the .50 Gov't round.

More info. It's a model 1870, and I was hoping that smokeless would be okay.

One thing I DO NOT assume is that just because the BP charge was the same for both loads that any smokeless load using identical weight bullets would work. I was planning to use smokeless, if the gun is in good shootable condition, but before I would purchase, I'd have to see something in print saying that it was an okay load.

Rounding out a collection of US military rifles all but demands that I get one of these someday, but I am not adverse to replicas. I take it that nobody has ever made one in this chambering?

I wouldn't mess with smokeless because the parts weren't made for it, and even if ya don't have an immediate catastrophe, the battering of the action could shoot it loose in short order. BP is a push like getting shoved by a fat man, where smokeless is like getting hit with a big hammer.

What Jack said stick with real black and with an original I would also magna-flux the breech block.

With the trap door and snider conversions of the 1865 to 1890 time frame I would not even shoot modern reproductions of them with smokeless as I do not feel their basic engineering is up to it but I am more of a scardy cat these days than I was in 1959 when I reloaded an Austrian Werndel in11mm something and even did it with 2400 using the bottom load for 45-70.... I now consider that to have been a very dumb thing to do even if I got away with it and the Werndel was a much stronger design than the trapdoor

Archived