SASS Wire Forum

Converting single presses

RHL

Has anyone converted their single presses into a progressive type unit? I noticed that RCBS has a system to "piggyback" their presses and I'm wondering if they deliver as marketed.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2844&route=C04J147

Has anyone converted their single presses into a progressive type unit? I noticed that RCBS has a system to "piggyback" their presses and I'm wondering if they deliver as marketed.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2844&route=C04J147

I've been using a couple of Piggyback II's mounted on a Rock Chucker for .44spl/Colt & .45 Colt/Schofield for quite a few years.

They work just fine as long as the powder hopper & link is kept tightened up during reloading sessions.

:rolleyes: I'm using a "Piggyback II" to load my .38's. It will work flawlessly with new brass. With mixed brass, you have to watch out for certain cases - most notably S&B. I find their primer pockets extremely tight and should be reamed out and chamfered before putting them through this machine. The machine will also work a bit smoother if cases are SLIGHTLY lubricated with Hornady's spray lubricant beforehand. Federal primers seem to work best - maybe because they are supposed to be the "softest" - but I've had good luck (at least on the handloading end) with other brands also. I also like to use RCBS's "powder checker" die on station #4 - you don't really have to....but I'm a bit overcautious. I also sort and load a mixed batch in groups of ten, and check the headstamps beforehand. I use "Lee dies" for sizing and seating, and a Lyman "M" die at station #2 for neck expanding. Like the previous writer said watch the powder measure link position, and tightness of screw holding the powder measure to the drop tube. It does loosen and the measure and link have a tendency to "walk" a bit during the operation. RCBS could've cured this by using two or more holding screws on the drop-tube collar holding the powder measure - but they didn't. Maybe you can alter it as I did to cure the problem. The plastic drop tube won't crack if you're careful in tightening it. FWIW, Doc

Thanks fellas.

I'm gearing up to reload .45LC, 45 ACP, and .38spl, .357 mag. and stumbled across these conversion systems so I might tuck it in my head as an option (along with purchasing a progressive unit like a 550/650) for later.

I might be a bit loco but the reloading process is starting to interest me as much as the shooting.

I have an older rock chucker, so probably not suitable for the piggy back anyway, but for that kind of money I think I'd be looking for a stand alone progressive and keep the rock chucker for small batches of lesser used calibers.

JMO

Grizz

GD,

The older Rock Chucker will work with the Piggy Back units. Your statement "but for that kind of money I think I'd be looking for a stand alone progressive and keep the rock chucker for small batches of lesser used calibers" is they way to go in my opinion.

Palewolf's statement "They work just fine as long as the powder hopper & link is kept tightened up during reloading sessions" matches my experience with the Piggy Back I and Piggy Back II units. If the powder hopper is not tight it will swivel on the upstroke and not drop powder. You will end up with lots of squibs.

I currently am using Dillon 550's which I bought used and then added all the stuff I wanted like strong mounts, bullet trays, brass trays, roller handles & tool holders. I added a few parts at a time over the years and really like the setup I have. One press is used for small primers and the other is set up for large. I still have my faithful old Rock Chucker that has been with me for over 30 years now mounted to the bench for small runs of large caliber rifle loads.

RHL,

Be careful, it is addictive. I like obsolete calibers and the whole process of building ammo to bring an old gun back to life. Reloading is a great hobby.

Ethan

I might be a bit loco but the reloading process is starting to interest me as much as the shooting.

Thanks Grizz! I was tempted to go the progressive route right off the bat but I need to start grabbing the reigns on cost a bit now.

Since I already have most of the equipment to reload including the Rock Chucker Supreme, I'll probably keep my eyes open for piggyback deals. Once I recover from the startup cost of guns, wardrobe, etc... lol

Cabelas has the piggy backs for about $100 less than the RCBS site. When a guy looks at already having dies, shell holders, powder measure, etc... then the PB systems don't look to $$$ prohibitive. (if I do indeed start reloading thousands of rounds a year.) I'm pretty bad about doing things in small batches. I tend to let things pile up and then its a chaotic flurry to get things done on time. Still, I want to approach reloading slowly and reinforce some good habits and behavior.

I think some of the other systems use similar options to convert single presses. Initially, I was wondering how any of the systems worked. I hit the jackpot right off the bat with two pards that use the RCBS. This forum rocks!

Well now Ethan has me rethinking again. haha

I do appreciate the input. It'll be a while before I do anything so I'm likely to change my mind a couple of times along the way. For now, I'm having fun finding brass, primers, bullets, and reading through the manual that came with the kit.

Kinda off subject, is there one reloading manual that most prefer over the others?

RHL, you might take a look at the Lee Loadmaster. It comes complete with dies for $218. I got one for 38 Special and it will flat crank out the rounds. I know, it ain't no Dillon, but I have been using it for about a year with out any "major" problems. It does have some plastic parts in the primer system I have had to replace, but the parts are cheap. I keep spares on hand just in case. Once I got it set up and adjusted it just hums along. And it comes with a case feeder. It has easily paid for itself in the hundreds of rounds I've loaded with it. For the price I've been well pleased.

For manuals I like the Lyman.

Thanks Doc!

I see that Midway has the Lee Loadmaster. It looks like it has most of the bells & whistles.

I'll have to see if the local store has a Lyman's manual to look at. I remember the Hornady was on the shelf.

loaded with one for a couple of years , used a modified Dillon powder dispenser , worked real well with short cases 9mm 40 cal 38super , got a couple of Dillons now so I sold it at the last gun show I set up at. RCBS piggy back on a rockchucker

Archived