SASS Wire Forum

Loading stand

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Guys, someone posted this recently on the WIRE and while poking around I found several plans of interest to the black powder shooter. Of greatest interest will be the two sets of plans relating to a much nicer and heavier duty revolver stand than the cheep commercial offerings, would also work great for cleaning most any revolver barls. Hoped to find some really good old time style shooting sticks but alas, the search goes on. http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans/

I've been using Dick Dastardly's "Tower of Power" for over a year. It ain't "cheep", not is it flimsy. I really enjoy it. I can set it on just about any flat surface and load pistols in about the same or less time than loading cartridges on a single stage. Shot six stages yesterday, loaded all loads on the loading stand, had one main charge fail to go off, but went when recapped, and failed to seat two caps so they'd go off on the 1st go-round. Went on the second hammer fall. None of which are the stand's fault! It might be more expensive than some other commercial loading stands, but it gives great seating leverage and is very stable. As they say... two thumbs up!

Griff, I use the one like he used to sell, think mine came from a GOEX site. That style is great for the Remington or Ruger but these plans are more for the Colt style and just hold the gun muzzle up for regular reloading or bore cleaning. Looked at his muzzle loading rifle stand also and it would be handy for the old Hawkins cap lock rifle! I need to show these plans to my old pard GP Bear, he be the wood worker around these parts.

ALSO: Be sure and check out his shooting cart plans, they are the same basic style we use.

Aye, I just remove the cylinder from my Colt's to reload on his stand, but my old wooden stand failed after many years of... well... use and, if not neglect, then lack of maintenance... wood and screws being what they are!:angry: And yes... those stands are almost necessary for the single shot type pistols for good control and ramming.

I also load multiple cyclinders using the tower of power. Usually the day before the shoot or the night before on my work bench. I use medicine containers from the drugs store to keep them sealed until I go to the loading table. I load 14 .44's and sometimes I load up 10 .36's for stages which don't have any revolver knock downs. I really like shooting the .36 remmies but the 158grn .44 remmie has more knock down power.

Enjoy and good luck. Let us know what you end up with. I always enjoy sharing information and seeing what others are doing.

The greatest value for these plans is that the style shown will free up both hands for the cap and ball pistol loader who loads his cylinders while still in the gun. For the Colt cap and ball shooter I personally do not favor disassembly of the gun to load the cylinder on a press. I tend to think it would slow the process unless we are talking spare cylinders that are preloaded at home?? Any way we slice it Colt pistols require the removal and installation of several major components to load the cylinder outside of the gun each time used BUT this is not to discourage anyones loading techniques but rather to assist those who might be looking for a nice dedicated loading stand that keeps many of your supplies at hand and this looks like the best of its type I have seen yet.

Nate, Bob jut saying I've never needed one when reloading the 1860s. Dakota Joe was my cap and ball mentor when I started shooting them and he passed on his technique which used the loading lever as the primary "handle" for doing the job. Using the trigger guard and the lever I can control the gun, get plenty of leverage and do the work from either my possibles bag or at the gun cart. If I'm shooting with new folks I get the OK from possee leader etc. to do it at the cart or on the move if necessary instead of the loading/unloading table. Normal method is to use the top of the gun cart and stage my measure, wads and box of balls.

Bob I agree with you about pulling the cylinders from Colt pattern revolvers; I dont do it at the range other then for maintenance.

Nate it would be trick to have 20 cylinders but the cost of them and 120 treso nipples would give my thrifty yankee soul pause. Though if I shot Remmies having a couple extra for Josey Wales reloads would be slick.

The greatest value for these plans is that the style shown will free up both hands for the cap and ball pistol loader who loads his cylinders while still in the gun. For the Colt cap and ball shooter I personally do not favor disassembly of the gun to load the cylinder on a press. I tend to think it would slow the process unless we are talking spare cylinders that are preloaded at home?? Any way we slice it Colt pistols require the removal and installation of several major components to load the cylinder outside of the gun each time used BUT this is not to discourage anyones loading techniques but rather to assist those who might be looking for a nice dedicated loading stand that keeps many of your supplies at hand and this looks like the best of its type I have seen yet.

After reviewing the drawings of the loading stands for the C&B revolvers I was impressed and think it is a great design for all of the open top shooters or remmie shooters with only two cyclinders. My preferance to loading prior to matches falls inline with acceptible and utilized customs of actual civil way combatants equiped with Fordyce Beals new modle arm revolvers produced by Remington. The Remmie was the most exclusive revolver utilized by the Union arm and Southern soldiers who were lucky enough to have one. Being able to load all six chambers and safely parking the hammer in the safety slot gave one the advantage of loading and capping six shots vs loading five with no caps. The ability to load out cyclinders prior to battle was used by anyone having multiple cyclinders. With the amount of downed comrades I could certainly see gathering up few extra cyclinders to have ready to reload with. I'd definately would have perferred to be able to quickly swap out cyclinders and reuse my revolver vs using it as a club. Please keep in mind that this is my preferance and bares no reflection of what anyone else chooses to do. I try to stick to the methods utilized during the period. As an after thought Beals-Remington did produce a double action percussion during the post civil way period. That would be a fun gun to have in a collection.

Archived