SASS Wire Forum

THSS presents TRAILHEAD 2011 starting.....

Ghost, SASS #50125

The Ghost will be there shootin' Classic Cowboy and using his '51 Navies! "Clint Eastwood" is this year's theme. Ghost will be a Stage Marshall along with the Corba Kid. Hope to see ya at Trailhead!

Ghost

NOPE!!!

Oh,come on Jack. I'll talk to Happy Heart and maybe she'll let you out for a while. :D All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. :)

Ghost

Montana Longhair, are you and yours coming this year? Has your hair grown back out? Folks may not know that Montana cut off his long hair for charity, at last year's Trailhead banquet. A very noble thing to do.

Ghost

Tell Sackett and Angels will be there as usual. We know how to use our sights, and can remember target orders. There's nothing that difficult there anymore.

Uh...hmmmmmm...okay.

Now ya know why folks like me don't go...'cuz we don't know how to use our sights and can't remember target orders...yep...now ya know.

:FlagAm:

Uh...hmmmmmm...okay.

Now ya know why folks like me don't go...'cuz we don't know how to use our sights and can't remember target orders...yep...now ya know.

OH come on now Phantom, This is the year of CHANGE. This match might resemble what a real match is supposed to be. Well maybe not. Even so I will be there. After all it's THSS.

Wyandot

PS Are you going to go to Tin Star or Oakwood in April?

OH come on now Phantom, This is the year of CHANGE. This match might resemble what a real match is supposed to be. Well maybe not. Even so I will be there. After all it's THSS.

Wyandot

PS Are you going to go to Tin Star or Oakwood in April?

THSS...ain't them the ones that go around and support all the other clubs in the area?

Anyway, don't know where I'm going yet. I'd like to stay put and support a local club...we'll see.

Phantom

Well, Phantom, you probably know HOW to use your sights, you just don't want to HAVE to use them, right? And you don't want any target order more complicated than a Nevada sweep. That's my take, anyway. Why do you always feel the need to run down THSS when you've never even been there? You and Jack Houston never miss a chance to be negative about them. If you don't want to go there, fine, but there's no need to keep harping about it. I've been to clubs where I don't like things they do, but I don't run them down on the SASS wire if I can help it. I don't run these clubs and I shoot their matches as they are. If I don't like them, I don't go there. End of story.

Sorry, Ghost. Bad dealin' of the cards this year is a gonna keep me from playing Frontiersman this year at THSS.

Hoping things will be better fer next year. ;) Give Lady Ghost a hug from me :wub: ....it'll hav'ta do fer now. :rolleyes:

How did I 'RUN DOWN" or be "Negative" to anyone by answering Ghost's question 'Whos's coming to Trailhead"

All I said was "Nope" ???

It's the way you typed it. Made it appear you were yelling it like a "mad about" sumptin' or another.

Well, Phantom, you probably know HOW to use your sights, you just don't want to HAVE to use them, right? And you don't want any target order more complicated than a Nevada sweep. That's my take, anyway. Why do you always feel the need to run down THSS when you've never even been there? You and Jack Houston never miss a chance to be negative about them. If you don't want to go there, fine, but there's no need to keep harping about it. I've been to clubs where I don't like things they do, but I don't run them down on the SASS wire if I can help it. I don't run these clubs and I shoot their matches as they are. If I don't like them, I don't go there. End of story.

Well, Tell, you probably didn't notice that my original post wasn't knocking anyone...but YOU had to bring into the mix the typical arrogance of the club by your remark about sites and target order.

Then you go even further and insult me here on your latest post...nice!

It's the mentality that you've just shown that keeps me harpin on this. You think that I don't go cuz I couldn't kick yer ass at this match...that I think only about me and other well seasoned shooters...open yer damn eyes! It's about the LESS SEASONED shooters!

So you go there and feel all proud about yourself...how great you and the GANG is 'cuz y'all WANT to use yer sites and can handle complicated shooting sequences...pat yerselves on the back and cry out how wonderful it is to play the game the way it used to be (or how YOU GUYS think it used to be).

I'll shoot somewhere where the folks understand that CAS isn't about guys like you that have been shooting forever...it's not about the guys/gals that can handle memory tests...it's not about folks that like their own little private club with thier own little secret handshake...but you'll never understand that...to bad.

Phantom

Well, Tell, you probably didn't notice that my original post wasn't knocking anyone...but YOU had to bring into the mix the typical arrogance of the club by your remark about sites and target order.

Then you go even further and insult me here on your latest post...nice!

It's the mentality that you've just shown that keeps me harpin on this. You think that I don't go cuz I couldn't kick yer ass at this match...that I think only about me and other well seasoned shooters...open yer damn eyes! It's about the LESS SEASONED shooters!

So you go there and feel all proud about yourself...how great you and the GANG is 'cuz y'all WANT to use yer sites and can handle complicated shooting sequences...pat yerselves on the back and cry out how wonderful it is to play the game the way it used to be (or how YOU GUYS think it used to be).

I'll shoot somewhere where the folks understand that CAS isn't about guys like you that have been shooting forever...it's not about the guys/gals that can handle memory tests...it's not about folks that like their own little private club with thier own little secret handshake...but you'll never understand that...to bad.

Phantom

Phantom,

Very well put about some of the clubs that refuse to change. Then they wonder why the numbers at the events keep going down.

You are 100% correct that the shoots should be made for the newbie and the middle of the pack folks. Yea I can find my sights. Last year at Trailhead I came in 6th overall and that was with a 7 round rifle jam. Now do I want to find my sights NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Like I have said THSS,with the outstanding location and facilities could be one of the best in the state. Ya got to change with the times or face the consiquences. When you only have one person out of 200+ shoot a clean match. And that shooter is way down on the list. That should tell ya something.

Wynndot:

You promised us yesterday at the "Pink Buzzard" that you would not go home and reply to this post! You just like to stir the pot.

Yeah, I will be there. But not with my short barrell duestist pistols. I will be dusting off my long barrell SBH and shooting two handed. Because!!

Regards,

Marcus Hooker

Adventurer

Wynndot:

You promised us yesterday at the "Pink Buzzard" that you would not go home and reply to this post! You just like to stir the pot.

Yeah, I will be there. But not with my short barrell duestist pistols. I will be dusting off my long barrell SBH and shooting two handed. Because!!

Regards,

Marcus Hooker

Adventurer

Well Marcus,

You have never believed anything I have said before. :rolleyes: Why start now?

The pot was already stirred. Maybe one of these days clubs will get the message. I just hate to see clubs that I shoot at go down hill. Ya notice I said Clubs :)

Phantom,

Very well put about some of the clubs that refuse to change. Then they wonder why the numbers at the events keep going down.

You are 100% correct that the shoots should be made for the newbie and the middle of the pack folks. Yea I can find my sights. Last year at Trailhead I came in 6th overall and that was with a 7 round rifle jam. Now do I want to find my sights NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Like I have said THSS,with the outstanding location and facilities could be one of the best in the state. Ya got to change with the times or face the consiquences. When you only have one person out of 200+ shoot a clean match. And that shooter is way down on the list. That should tell ya something.

There was a time when it was "the best in the state". I remember when they had a waiting list for Trailhead. This was the first big shoot I attended and it was something. I went to it every year but quit 2 years ago when it was clear they just didnt care anymore. It is sad because the potential to be great is there and it wouldnt take much. The town of Gunsmoke is one of the best venues in the state.

There was a time when it was "the best in the state". I remember when they had a waiting list for Trailhead. This was the first big shoot I attended and it was something. I went to it every year but quit 2 years ago when it was clear they just didnt care anymore. It is sad because the potential to be great is there and it wouldnt take much. The town of Gunsmoke is one of the best venues in the state.

Yep!

Jack Houston-what Presidio said. Ghost wanted to know who was goin'. We all know you don't like them, so why the need to make that post? Someone once said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Phantom- I am not, nor have I ever been one of the "in" bunch at THSS.They are the 2nd club I ever shot with, so they're NOT my home club.Did you think they were? I don't like a lot of the things that have happened there over recent years. I quit shooting there for several years because of some of the crap. But I was willing to give them another shot. Things have been getting better there, albeit slowly. Change is not gonna happen overnight there. As long as things are moving in a better direction, why keep harping about them?

You don't go to Trailhead because of a lot of TALK you've heard, and the fact that their targets aren't big and close like you prefer. I go there because it's close to where I live, and because I do better there than at a match where raw speed is all that counts. I don't have the money anymore to go everywhere. I have to be a little more chosey these days. I don't, and never will have the kind of raw speed people like you have. So I don't go to many of the type matches YOU prefer. I've no doubt you could "kick my ass" if you ever went to Trailhead. Picosa Kid does regularly. Hmmm, the targets and orders don't seem to bother him that much. I wonder why not? He's usually top gun at Trailhead. Maybe he just accepts the fact, as I do, that it is what it is. We can't change it, so just shoot it.

There's a lot of different speed levels in this game. You're at one level, I'm at another. There's a whole lot of shooters out there who are slower than either of us. But you know, I've never thought in terms of "kicking anyones ass". I'll leave that to you.

Now maybe you need to go back and re-read both my 1st post and your reply to that. I in no way insulted you. Can't say the same of yours. At a shoot, you're one of the nicest people I've ever met. But then you get on the SASS wire and do this Jekyl and Hyde act. I don't understand it.

I attended your home clubs 1st annual match in 2009. There were several things about it I didn't like, but I didn't get on the wire and bitch about it, did I? No, I just didn't go again last year.

My 1st full year of shooting was 1998. This is forever? How long have you been shooting? I'm not even sure how that is relevant to anything.

Jack Houston-what Presidio said. Ghost wanted to know who was goin'. We all know you don't like them, so why the need to make that post? Someone once said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Phantom-you obviously don't know shit about me or my attitude. I am not, nor have I ever been one of the "in" bunch at THSS.They are the 2nd club I ever shot with, so they're NOT my home club.Did you think they were? I don't like a lot of the things that have happened there over recent years. I quit shooting there for several years because of some of the crap. But I was willing to give them another shot. Things have been getting better there, albeit slowly. Change is not gonna happen overnight there. As long as things are moving in a better direction, why keep harping about them?

You don't go to Trailhead because of a lot of TALK you've heard, and the fact that their targets aren't big and close like you prefer. I go there because it's close to where I live, and because I do better there than at a match where raw speed is all that counts. I don't have the money anymore to go everywhere. I have to be a little more chosey these days. I don't, and never will have the kind of raw speed people like you have. So I don't go to many of the type matches YOU prefer. I've no doubt you could "kick my ass" if you ever went to Trailhead. Picosa Kid does regularly. Hmmm, the targets and orders don't seem to bother him that much. I wonder why not? He's usually top gun at Trailhead. Maybe he just accepts the fact, as I do, that it is what it is. We can't change it, so just shoot it.

There's a lot of different speed levels in this game. You're at one level, I'm at another. There's a whole lot of shooters out there who are slower than either of us. But you know, I've never thought in terms of "kicking anyones ass". I'll leave that to you.

Now maybe you need to go back and re-read both my 1st post and your reply to that. I in no way insulted you. Can't say the same of yours. At a shoot, you're one of the nicest people I've ever met. But then you get on the SASS wire and do this Jekyl and Hyde act. I don't understand it.

I attended your home clubs 1st annual match in 2009. There were several things about it I didn't like, but I didn't get on the wire and bitch about it, did I? No, I just didn't go again last year.

My 1st full year of shooting was 1998. This is forever? How long have you been shooting? I'm not even sure how that is relevant to anything.

First off Tell, the reason that I come across poorly on the Wire is cuz I can't write worth a crap and some things just come out a little skewd from what I'd like.

So...as usual...I appologize for coming across in a challenging way...wasn't what I intended.

But why do I harp? Because folks don't get it. Trailhead and the philosophy that they and others have don't affect me...or shall I say they don't affect my abilities to perform at a match. Their philosophy affects the run of the mill CAS player...the one's that are the heart and sole of this game...the one's that will make or break a club!

Why design a match that makes it nearly impossible for a ailing CAS player to even have a chance at shooting a STAGE clean? Why design it so that a person with little experience can't make it through the match without a P?

Why????

I'm tellin ya, it must be some kinda wierd sick joke.

I would love it if they changed and made a match that appeals to the average shooter...and that they once again brought in 300+ shooters...HONESTLY I WOULD! Why??? Cuz it would be good for the game...that's why.

Phantom

Trailhead 2011 :FlagAm: is going to be a great shoot! The club is continuely making inprovements on fixtures and targets and stages and scenarios. The Brune Family has hosted THSS from the club's beginnings and dry camping is still free. Herman Brune is the finest cowboy you'll ever meet and great supporter of CAS and Rodeo. When you see Herman sit a horse, you'll know what I mean.

I have seen more new shooters join SASS because of their first experience at THSS than any of the other clubs I shoot at. I can't speak for them, but I like the "Old West Town" setting and the people.

THSS is not perfect, but I bet ya 50 bucks you'll find something or someone you'll like.

See ya at Trailhead 2011,

Ghost :)

Trailhead 2011 :FlagAm: is going to be a great shoot! The club is continuely making inprovements on fixtures and targets and stages and scenarios. The Brune Family has hosted THSS from the club's beginnings and dry camping is still free. Herman Brune is the finest cowboy you'll ever meet and great supporter of CAS and Rodeo. When you see Herman sit a horse, you'll know what I mean.

I have seen more new shooters join SASS because of their first experience at THSS than any of the other clubs I shoot at. I can't speak for them, but I like the "Old West Town" setting and the people.

THSS is not perfect, but I bet ya 50 bucks you'll find something or someone you'll like.

See ya at Trailhead 2011,

Ghost :)

Ghost,

I'll be there and hope that you and I can marshall together again, it was fun.

Phantom,

I've only been in sass for 4 years and THSS is the only club I've been able to shoot with other than at state with the Texican Rangers.I've have had fun at both.Being able to only get off a little each year because of my job with the police dept.I would love to make more shoots,and I know at my age I will never be as good as you and Ghost are but as long as you have fun that should be all thats matters.I don't like fighting and will never grip about what one club should do and not do.The name of the game for alot of us is just get away from the everyday grind.I've read alot of what you have said and thats what makes America Great.Anybody can say how they feel about anything.In my many years I've learned that you can't please everybody all the time but as long as you have fun isn't that all that matters?

God Bless you and yours

cobra kid

Phantom- Why?? 'cause the folks who run the club want it this way. Until the MEMBERS elect officers who want more change there won't be more. And there has been change for the better. The really bizarre target orders are history. Most are pretty straightforward now. Now and then there are some out of the ordinary, but nothing that hard. There are some new pistol targets that are bigger than the previous ones. Rifle targets could stand to be moved in some. Or they could get some bigger ones. Point is, there HAS been change there, but they could use more. The members there need to TELL the officers what they would like to see. I really don't think they do.

I think part of the situation there was that the bunch who ran the club for a long time(and still do perhaps) were crack rifle shots and oriented the match that way. Change comes slowly at THSS.

I've sometimes thought maybe I should run for office there and push for some change. Couple of problems, tho. One, I don't know the actual power structure there. And I have heard that one or two guys can't make any real changes. Two- I already spent several years on the board of another club and DON'T really want to do it again. I just want to shoot. That's another problem there(and other places)- a lot of people just want to shoot, or they want change, but they don't want to be RESPONSIBLE. Well, someone has to be responsible, and those who are at THSS want it the way it is. So I go shoot, and try to offer suggestions when they'll listen. There is some new blood in the club and they are willing to listen, but it's gonna take time.

It's sad, what has happened to Trailhead in recent years. But the decline in attendance isn't just about the targets and orders. When we started shooting in '98 there were few big shoots. Trailhead,Plum Creek, Commancheria Days, and Roundup were about it. Look at how many there are now. And sure, those who want big, close targets aren't going to Trailhead. I think it can be turned around, but inertia is hard to overcome. It'll take time. And that's why I'm trying to say GOOD things about them. Point out positive things. I still have hope for them.

Ghost,

I'll be there and hope that you and I can marshall together again, it was fun.

Phantom,

I've only been in sass for 4 years and THSS is the only club I've been able to shoot with other than at state with the Texican Rangers.I've have had fun at both.Being able to only get off a little each year because of my job with the police dept.I would love to make more shoots,and I know at my age I will never be as good as you and Ghost are but as long as you have fun that should be all thats matters.I don't like fighting and will never grip about what one club should do and not do.The name of the game for alot of us is just get away from the everyday grind.I've read alot of what you have said and thats what makes America Great.Anybody can say how they feel about anything.In my many years I've learned that you can't please everybody all the time but as long as you have fun isn't that all that matters?

God Bless you and yours

cobra kid

You and Ghost are top quality folks...you can tell by the way you respond to folks like me.

I just hope that clubs recognize that it's important that those that patronise their clubs do so not because of their proximity to the club, but rather because of what the club offers to all.

Phantom

I just read Ghosts last post. See- that's what I'm talkin' about! He always has something nice to say and is lookin' on the bright side of things. He said it perfectly: Trailhead ain't perfect. But what shoot is? Just gotta try and make things better.

You and Ghost are top quality folks...you can tell by the way you respond to folks like me.

I just hope that clubs recognize that it's important that those that patronise their clubs do so not because of their proximity to the club, but rather because of what the club offers to all.

Phantom

Thanks Phantom,

coming from you that means alot, would love if you come to Trailhead and have some fun and if not you can come and just pick on Ghost and me

cobra

Thanks Phantom,

coming from you that means alot, would love if you come to Trailhead and have some fun and if not you can come and just pick on Ghost and me

cobra

Well I'm not going to make it...for many reason other then the format. Simply can't take the time off right now. Heck, I'm missing Winter Range for the first time in 7 years!!!!

Have fun and enjoy the match. As I've said before, I hope Trailhead finds the right formula to bring it back to the way it used to be.

Phantom

With all this talk of change I am almost tempted to go. But, the target sequences and placement were not my major problem for not going. It was the overall attitude of those running the show. I love the overall atmosphere and ambience of Gunsmoke - its GREAT, one of the best in Texas. But I draw the line at being talked down to and insulted. Thats what I got the last time I commented to the powers that be at THSS.

One of the events I like at Trailhead is the side matches. My favorites are the fastest derringer and pocket pistol. Last year I was lucky to purchase a .32 Premier off GunBroker in mint condition. After a lot of work (disasemblely aleast 4 times)I got the little 5-shot running pretty smooth. Was leading the pack at Comin at Cha and offered to let SPUR ROBERTS use it. Well, he beat me with my own pistol. I'm not to sure I'll loan it out at Trailhead.(I will, till the ammo runs out).

A couple of years ago, I got a Bonds "Cowboy", which is already competition ready, but I just could not resist fine tuning it (very hard to do right). I carry it concealed all the time and shoot 50 rds or so, around the property every week, at leaves, sticks, trees, and yes, steel targets.

So, if you're plannin' on shootin' Fastest Derringer and Pocket Pistol, WATCH OUT! :)

Ghost

(Who is slowing down in his old age)

Angels is more than welcome. This .32 shoots so smooth even the ladies can handle it.

PS: It is not for sale. Spur has already tried.

Ghost

Archived