SASS Wire Forum

S&W Bodyguard 38

Henry T Harrison

Does anyone have any experience with the S&W Bodyguard 38.

I’m looking to pick one up it looks like a pretty nice little light weight gun, feels good in my hand and I like the idea of a laser. Good or bad please.

HTH

It's a fine gun. I carried one for years as a backup.

The light weight makes it a joy to carry concealed bur you don't want to shoot it lot. Just enough to stay proficient.

Does anyone have any experience with the S&W Bodyguard 38.

I’m looking to pick one up it looks like a pretty nice little light weight gun, feels good in my hand and I like the idea of a laser. Good or bad please.

HTH

I believe he is asking about the new plastic-frame model with the built-in laser. I'm also interested as my usual carry gun is a S&W 642 J frame. I like the idea of a built-in laser as I mostly carry while walking my dog at night. One of my pards has the plastic-frame Ruger revolver and likes it a lot as it is mild shooting with .38 +P's.

They re-named a Classic and made it out of plastic??

Shame!

I handled one at Gander Mountain a few weeks ago and I wasn't impressed at all. The Laser activation was awkward and the ambidextrous cylinder release on top was a stretch to open, but then again I'm used to a model 36. Like Utah, I carried one as a BUG for 20+ years. The salesman at Gander also mentioned some problems with light striking and misfires. Again, I wasn't impressed overall. :ph34r:

BSD

HTH Sir

I handled one yesterday , I found it hard to deploy the lazer . The cyl. relase use very strange and the thing seemed to flex under pressure . If it were me I would find a good snubby. A Ruger sp101 , Colt Dect. , S&W 36 , or the like . A Colt Cobra is a good light waight carry revolver . JMHO

Chickasaw Bill

Thanks guys

I have both a Chiefs Special and a Colt Cobra, and I was carrying an SP101 that I had to turn in at the end of my career.

My 36 was the first off duty gun I ever owned and the one I always went back to after trying something else. To give you an idea how long I have had it I paid a whopping $83 for it new.

The Cobra is a nickel air weight and was my “dress” gun.

What I’m looking for is something light and with a laser for my aging eyes. My 36 is a square butt and Crimson Trace does not make a laser grip for it.

I do agree that the laser placement is very poor for a right handed shooter, it would have been very easy to put the laser on the left side where the activation button would have fallen under the thumb.

hth

I have the S&W Airweight with a hammer, just like it but the bodyguard has a shrouded hammer, making it double-action only. It's a great CCW revolver, but I don't carry mine anymore ever since I got a Ruger LCP .380. The LCP is smaller and lighter, which for me is a big asset.

I think I will sell it.

I had one years ago and gave it to an old friend when he got appointed to his P.D.

Good for him.... bad for me......

Archived