SASS Wire Forum

Help Me Decide.....

Bama Red

I have decided that this will be the year that I will depart the 19th century and buy my first black rifle.

It must be .308/7.62 cal. I just don't feel comfortable with the 5.56 or the 6.8 It should be based on either the AK or AR platform. I am leaning toward the AK platform more so than the AR. I would like to keep the cost under $1000, with rail system. The rifle should come with iron sights which remain usable even when future optics are installed. Is this doable or just a pipe dream? Recommendations/links welcomed.

Edit: I do recognize that 7.62 Nato and 308 Win. are not the same round. The .308 is my first preference with the 7.62 Nato second.

Like this one?

Saiga .308

Was nodding my head and getting all prepped to make recommendations until you threw that $1000 figure in there. I don't know of a AR platform .308 for less than a grand. Most are between $1500 and $2000. It's a big boy's game, and ya gotta pay to play in it.

I have a DS Arms SA-58. I would just sneer at anything less than $1500 for it. I wouldn't take $1800.

May not be the platform you're wanting, but what about the Ruger Mini 30? Also, are you still eligible for a LEO discount, that would open up a few more options?

BSD

Like this one?

Saiga .308

I have fired one and it's JUNK.... :blink:

I could shoot tighter groups with my SHOTGUN :D

You would be better served with a standard AK in 7.62X39mm :ph34r:

Face it, you will have to "UP" your budget for anything "real".

Cheers,

LG

Dont know anythin bout THIS'UN

Just samples from AUCTION ARMS

The REAL FN-FAL rifles(NOT those "parts" guns in the link)are big, heavy and well made and they work.

They were almost a US issue rifle, but the USA went with the M-14.

Cheers,

LG

I have decided that this will be the year that I will depart the 19th century and buy my first black rifle.

It must be .308/7.62 cal. I just don't feel comfortable with the 5.56 or the 6.8 It should be based on either the AK or AR platform. I am leaning toward the AK platform more so than the AR. I would like to keep the cost under $1000, with rail system. The rifle should come with iron sights which remain usable even when future optics are installed. Is this doable or just a pipe dream? Recommendations/links welcomed.

Edit: I do recognize that 7.62 Nato and 308 Win. are not the same round. The .308 is my first preference with the 7.62 Nato second.

The Ak platform (Communist Platform) is a time proven combat weapon and if your plan is to roll around in the mud and come up shooting then the AK is the way to go....But one thing about the AK platform one must except is that most AK's don't group...they pattern.

If you want to just go out and play with a semi-auto in 7.62 X 39 don't over look a good used SKS the Communist platform before the Ak.

You can use both for deer hunting but you will never have a tack driver.

The FAL Platform ( European ) in 7.62 Nato or 308....all I can say about this platform is there great...combat, deer hunting or just busting caps you can't go wrong with a good one...but they are going to cost you.

Now we come to the AR Platform.... good old USA platform....The AR platform is the most versatile of all....You can build it change it have one lower change calibers or go from a short barrel tactical weapon to a heavy 24'' tack driver in seconds.....They are easy to build or change up and if you are like me one who has champagne taste on a beer budget you can build a good AR that will do everything you want one piece at a time....

My black gun is a AR 15 platform in 5.56 full floated 18'' chrome lined heavy barrel with a M4 stock I can get about a 3'' group at 200 yards with good ammo off the shelf ...I have around 800 bucks in this gun now...and it is very fun to shoot and will stand up to higher priced guns of the same type ...it is my coyote / SHIF gun..I have other guns that I like better for deer hunting, home protection and such..I know if things do go SHIF AR parts & ammo will more then likely be around...I hope this helps

PS.

AS for an M14 or a M1 .....they too will cost you....but they are a M14 or M1 ...Enought Said!

If you want a AR style in .308 give the Remington hunting rifles a look. May have to increase your budget by a few hundred dollars but they can be found very reasonable if you shop around. They MSRP from Remington around 1500 so the street price should be a few hundred less.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...r-25-rifle.aspx

I'm just here to be educated, folks. Of course I'm interested in accuracy - not to the extent of match grade barrels and such, but acceptable battle rifle accuracy will do me just fine.

I'm just here to be educated, folks. Of course I'm interested in accuracy - not to the extent of match grade barrels and such, but acceptable battle rifle accuracy will do me just fine.

not a thing wrong with battle accuracy....but what kind? viet cong, sknny..arab..LA gang banger?...these guys will can & have killed the hell out of folks...But I would not settle for no less then USMC battle accuracy

not a thing wrong with battle accuracy....but what kind? viet cong, sknny..arab..LA gang banger?...these guys will can & have killed the hell out of folks...
But I would not settle for no less then USMC battle accuracy

I have no idea wat that means :FlagAm:

Me neither, Boss.

Spose you and me just lay back under this here shade tree and watch these goin-ons for a bit and see what develops.

Here - drink this!

If I can hit a man's torso, consistently, at 100 meters, that's accurate enough for my purposes.

I don't know if any of us has that much time... :FlagAm:

Hey, hey, hey hey, hey, hey, hey!!!

I thought I was amongst friends here!!

[/b]

I have no idea wat that means :FlagAm:

it means a grunt can have faith in his weapon that it will hit his target in one shot if he does his part.....the others who use the AK & SKS platform know it will always be able to spray & pray and get rounds down range and sooner or later they will hit something

If I can hit a man's torso, consistently, at 100 meters, that's accurate enough for my purposes.

with about 75 % of the AK & SKS platforms that I have played with would do that ...and just that....the othe 25% no way in hell....

it means a grunt can have faith in his weapon that it will hit his target in one shot if he does his part.....the others who use the AK & SKS platform know it will always be able to spray & pray and get rounds down range and sooner or later they will hit something

Dang, near 4 yrs the the Corps with a tour in SE Asia 'n nobody ever 'splained that to me :FlagAm::P

If you're looking for a 30 cal main battle rifle, look into CMP and a good Service grade M1. It's 30-06 but can be re-barreled for 308 if you wish. The price is in your ball park. They will also hold a man size profile out to 200 yards with surpluss ammo.

An AR platform, I would look at Bushmaster. They have several options for uppers other than .223, such as 6.8mm SPC and 7.62 x 39mm. They will run you more than your stated limit, but as stated earlier, you can swap out uppers in seconds.

Good luck with your hunt.

Dutchman

Archived