SASS Wire Forum

shipping long guns to myself

Throckmorton,23149

I recently inherited some long guns that I need to ship to myself,and my quandry is,they were bought used,at 'garage sales' let's say,so there is no paperwork to show they are legally mine now.

As I understand it,a person can ship his own firearms to himself,but what if they ask for proof of ownership? Does usps ask these types of questions ?

will I be forced to ship them to an FFL I wonder?

But who will ask you to prove it?

For your purposes the will might well be proof enough.

However, Inheritance does not grant the legal right for you to own a firearm in your state.

Nor the right to bring a firearm into your state.

When a firearm crosses state boundaries that is where it gets sticky.

I assume that as a CAS shooter that you have purchased firearms recently. So a 4473 should be no problem.

The safest way might well be to have guns shipped from an FFL to your FFL in you home state and do the 4473.

I have shipped long guns via USPS many times , and from different Post Offices , and have never been asked if the packages contained firearms , even when the size and shape of the package was obvious. They only ask the standard set of questions about " liquid , hazardous , flammable , fragile" , actually I forget what the exact speech is , but firearms is not one of the questions. Only ones who ask what is in the package is UPS and FedEx.

Best bet is check your state regulations , where I live would be no problem to send them to myself.

Good luck , Rex :D

The safest way might well be to have guns shipped from an FFL to your FFL in you home state and do the 4473.

thinking that might be the easiest,just adds some to the cost.

No will,no paperwork of any kind with these old shooters.

99% of long guns owned any length of time have no proof of ownerwhip (thankfully). They are not registered, receipts if they ever existed are gone.... A non-issue. If you have en in your possession and say you own em, you do. Sending from self to self is legal. Do that lots of times, they might think otherwise, but once in a while, of course you own em.

Howdy,

Are you shipping from state to another state? Are you shipping inside the state to yourself? need more info but I would not waste the money going from FFL to FFL, maybe if they are all long guns ship them yourself to an FFL, if your shipping from one state to another, a pistol will have to go FFL to FFL unless you ship Fedex or UPS but still has to go to an FFL. Need more info to get to give you a correct answer.

KK

I have shipped long guns via USPS many times , and from different Post Offices , and have never been asked if the packages contained firearms , even when the size and shape of the package was obvious. They only ask the standard set of questions about " liquid , hazardous , flammable , fragile" , actually I forget what the exact speech is , but firearms is not one of the questions. Only ones who ask what is in the package is UPS and FedEx.

Best bet is check your state regulations , where I live would be no problem to send them to myself.

Good luck , Rex :FlagAm:

Rex, I was thinkin you have to declare, without USPS asking, that you are shipping a firearm. I could be wrong...won't be the first time.

Archived