SASS Wire Forum

1873 Winchester Action Job

Buck Prairie

I am getting ready to send off my 73 Winchester to get action job done. Besides the basic slicking up of the action do you guys/gals find that installing the aluminum carrier block is worth the extra expense? Thanks

I don't personally like the aluminum carrier. I prefer to run one that is stock brass or lightened brass. It's a more positive feel and also the brass seems to stay running smother longer in between cleanings. The aluminums also seema a bit "mushy" feeling. There are lots of folks who like them. But for me my money is better spent on more primers.

Nope, not really needed for moderately fast operation. In fact if you are going to shoot any BP or subs, the extra weight may be very useful to keep the gun running longer when it fouls. The "trick" way of setting up the 73 is now to find a smith who mills out extra weight from the brass carrier.

If you have to be asking the question, then you probably are not yet even close to being fast enough to worry about a carrier modification or aluminum replacement.

Good luck, GJ

It's definately not about the speed. I have a long way to go before that would be an issue. My main objective is to make the action as smooth as possible.

Been there, done that, and IMHO no, stay with the brass carrier. Sides, you could send it off to Capt. Lewis and have the rifle's caliber engraved on it (44 Cal.), as many of the originals were. Feel free to contact me for contact info for Capt. Lewis.

Ricochet Roy

and I am the voice of dissent on this one.

I like the aluminum carrier. In my gun the BP fouling collects on the brass carrier and seems to just fall off the aluminum.

My gun is short stroked and closing the lever will move the carrier down no matter how dirty it may be.

I like the feel of a gun with brass I will admit, but the aluminum carriers seem to keep my cleaning to a minimum and I can easily shoot 40-50 stages without cleaning the action at all.

... do you guys/gals find that installing the aluminum carrier block is worth the extra expense?

No it is not worth the extra expense.

Archived