SASS Wire Forum

Plane crash

Cash Duckett

Looks like the private airports will be beefing up security now. An Austin man burns his house down, steals a small airplane, crashes it into a large office building, housing IRS offices and others. Cash

The Austin police chief just had a press conference and said that the plane definitely was not stolen.

I believe there are some truths to this...but I'm waiting to be sure.

I've heard that the IRS was putting a lean on all his property...so he burned down his house and shoved his plane up their XXX. I also heard that he was just fired.

Sad...

We'll have to wait and see...

;)

It'll take awhile for things to come out. The press is going nuts right now.. They said F-16s were scrambled out of Colorado Springs. Not exactly. NORAD is in Colorado Springs and they gave the order. The planes came out of Houston. I think it's a good idea to just turn the news off for a couple of hours when something like this happens until the adrenalin levels of the reporters simmer down and everybody stops trying to scoop each other.

Stolen airplane or not, I still bet there will be millions of dollars wasted trying to make all airports more secure. Anybody want to bet me on that??? Cash

Actually this isn't the first time since 9/11 that a nut has crashed a small plane intentionally. I can remember at least 2 other incidents. I'm betting this will be forgotten in 6 months.

Funny thing is I ate lunch across the street from the crash yesterday...weird...

;)

Hmmmm....you werent doing a little recon for him were you?? :FlagAm:

Lets see if we can get some of the reporters over there to talk to you.... :wub:

NOWWWWWWWWWWW.. The truth comes out.. We now know why Phantom moved from Cali to Texas.. Been doing a little recon there huh...

ssshhhhhhhhhhhh... Better not speak too loud, big brother might be listening to you...

Hmmmm....you werent doing a little recon for him were you?? ;)

Lets see if we can get some of the reporters over there to talk to you.... :FlagAm:

The Vipers were scrambled out of Elligton outside Houston.

Appears this guy had enough, the Cherokee holds 50 gals of fuel, and crusies about 115 kts. The IRS wanted it, looks like he delivered.

Now comes the morons beating their chest calling for more restrictions on private aircraft as they are a threat to homeland security, similar to when somebody snaps with a firearm.

The news siaid he didnt file a flight plan. Shame on him. What would the flight plan say if he filed one in the first place,XYZ airport direct IRS.

Appears this guy had enough, the Cherokee holds 50 gals of fuel, and crusies about 115 kts. The IRS wanted it, looks like he delivered.

Now comes the morons beating their chest calling for more restrictions on private aircraft as they are a threat to homeland security, similar to when somebody snaps with a firearm.

Ya know, there are two types of restrictions that would have kept this event from happening.

1. Real Tight flight restrictions

2. Real Tight IRS restrictions

I'd vote for number 2.

;)

That ain't gonna happen. They didn't change civil Air rules after the guy crashed into the White House (Clinton Era IIRC) , nor when it's been attempted before or since. Civil Aviatiors may disagree, but compared to the commercial flying public, private aviation is MUCH more the sacred cow. Might be due to the tax bracket most private aviators are in, but that'd be just speculation.

I'm curious.

what was it about this person taking off without a 'flight plan' that warranted the scrambling of a couple fighter jets?

Is this SOP?

Hey Phantomborg.....where did you eat lunch this afternoon?

..........Widder

airmud or other pilot.

Do all aircraft have to file a flight plan?

I know that all IFRs do.

But what about VFR?

if the answer is that flight plans are not required for VFR flights than why is this such a big deal.

Hacker.

airmud or other pilot.

Do all aircraft have to file a flight plan?

I know that all IFRs do.

But what about VFR?

if the answer is that flight plans are not required for VFR flights than why is this such a big deal.

Hacker.

There is no FAA Reg that states that you must file a flight plan, if you're VFR )Visual flight Rules, you can just fire it up and take off. You have to of course abide by FAR regs at all times, "clear of clouds", altitude limitations, etc.

Airspace restrictions have changed and become more strict around DC and other "high security areas" after 9-11

There is no FAA Reg that states that you must file a flight plan, if you're VFR )Visual flight Rules, you can just fire it up and take off. You have to of course abide by FAR regs at all times, "clear of clouds", altitude limitations, etc.

Airspace restrictions have changed and become more strict around DC and other "high security areas" after 9-11

The "Big Deal" is the media trying to have something they can report that will raise eyebrows. I have flown hundreds or VFR hours with no flight plan. I file IFR if I'm going somewhere, but if just out flying (or flying where I'm close to civilization VFR) I don't file, I would if I planned a VFR flight over rough or desolate terrain

Holly Molly

Glad I saved the reciept that say's the Recived all my Tax Info...............

Now if they Just haven't cashed the check yet.

told them I'd had a fire and they said not my problem now so since I done sent in my tax form and they can't find it,,,,,,Not my problem.

But I do hope those folks just out there trying to make a living like everyone ele are OK!

Well guys, I had a front row view as the plane was headed directly to our office and as he crossed hwy183 the plane banked hard right into the building next door. So far it looks like a miracle that no loss of innocent life. Only one person remains missing.

Kettleman

One of our offices is real close to where it happened so we were getting some emails from co-workers right when it happened.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,586581,00.html

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years...8102stack1.html

Well guys, I had a front row view as the plane was headed directly to our office and as he crossed hwy183 the plane banked hard right into the building next door. So far it looks like a miracle that no loss of innocent life. Only one person remains missing.

Kettleman

Glad to hear you're ok, that had to be pretty scary.

Archived