SASS Wire Forum

DIY Cylinder Base Pins, Running Irons hammers

Warden Callaway

Winter has struck early giving me inside time to tinker. This past week I've installed Running Irons hammers in our four Cattleman revolvers.

UbertiCattlemanRI9142014_zps30229d98.jpg

Not being happy with the Uberti safety notch base pins, I decided to make new ones.

CattlemanBasePins_zps178ab863.jpg

I used 1/4" drill rod and brass thumb nuts. I turned the end of the pins down and threaded to 12-24 thread. I redrilled the nuts and threaded them to match. The rod only required polishing to make a perfect fit. I used blue loctite to assure they joined well. The thumb nuts were shaped to fit contour of barrel and ejector rod. The latch pin notch was cut only were the bolt engages it. They won't rotate and should stay in place. The larger head should make maintenance easier. For sure, it'll be easier to see if base pin is fully seated.

Here is the Cattleman with new base pin.

CattlemanNov2014_zps98ec872a.jpg

Well I tell you pilgrim it all looks good from this side.

Good workmanship.

Warden,

That fine work would have taken me the whole winter. And here you are done, with 5 weeks to spare, before it begins. Nice job.

Thanks guys.

It took more time than I expected but not more time than I had available due to the miserable early cold weather. I have a mini lathe,tap and die set, files, Dremel tool, etc. But the steel was harder than I expected. I had to run back to Westlake's and get some better hacksaw blades.

I spent about $10 on material to make four pins and have a lot of rod left over. If I counted my time and incidental expenses, buying ready made ones would have saved me money. But when the guy at the loading and unloading tables ask where I got the base pins, I couldn't say I made them.

I was inspired by the pins sold by Base Mountain. After making my own, I see that their prices are very reasonable.

Archived