SASS Wire Forum

EIB vs CIB vs Combat Patch?

What set of circumstances would warrant an Army soldier or officer wearing a patch on their right shoulder (aka "combat patch"), while wearing an Expert Infantry Badge (EIB) over the pocket?  Why wouldn't the badge be a Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB)?

I know the EIB is a skill badge whereas the CIB designates engagement with the enemy, and it is possible to be awarded by CIB without having taken and passed the tests to earn the EIB.

But I'm thinking the "combat patch" would have criteria similar to the CIB, or there must be a subtle difference that I'm not fully grasping.

Any insight is much appreciated.

44 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

What set of circumstances would warrant an Army soldier or officer wearing a patch on their right shoulder (aka "combat patch"), while wearing an Expert Infantry Badge (EIB) over the pocket?  Why wouldn't the badge be a Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB)?

I know the EIB is a skill badge whereas the CIB designates engagement with the enemy, and it is possible to be awarded by CIB without having taken and passed the tests to earn the EIB.

But I'm thinking the "combat patch" would have criteria similar to the CIB, or there must be a subtle difference that I'm not fully grasping.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Combat Patch - participation award for deploying with unit, may be a Fobbit and never leave the FOB and see combat

While the CIB is awarded to infantry soldiers for participation in ground combat,

The EIB is presented for completion of a course of testing.  To be awarded the EIB, the soldier must complete a number of prerequisites and pass a battery of graded tests on basic infantry skills. (Combat not required)

And Yes you can be awarded the CIB with out "testing" as well combat dont care how well you tested with a bore sight 

Then you have the CAB Combat Action Badge used for non Infantry MOS's that actually see combat fire

Edited by PowderRiverCowboy
  • Thanks 1

as mentioned above

be a combat zone without infantry MOS = right should patch

later transfer to an infantry unit and earn EIB

although I knew an artillery major who had a CIB,  was sent to RVN, assigned MACV and worked in an infantry slot

US Army  Military Assistance Command (MACV) Old Full Color Patch

Lots of non-infantry folks earned CIBs in Nam while serving with ground  combat forces.  And everyone, regardless of branch who serves in a combat zone, earns the right to wear a combat patch.