SASS Wire Forum

45-70 Reloading Suggestions

SlickSausage

Hey all, I'm looking to reload some 45-70 for my Sharps and 1886. Can anyone suggest a bullet weight and powder that I can create some plinking loads for the 1886? In addition, I'm looking to switch powders (IMR 4895) for the Sharps as there are too many unburnt grains left in the barrel. Can anyone recommend one that can be used for both plinking loads for the 1886 and 405 grain bullet for the Sharps?

Lever gun 405g w the holy black(2f) to the base of the bullet, just ever so slightly compressed. Sharps? Same.can use a veggie wad between powder and bullet

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 7:24 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

405 flat point and 13.5 gn of Unique. 

Use a firm roll-crimp. 

How position sensitive is the powder? I've read some posts in regards to that that make me a bit weary about using it.

Edited by SlickSausage

5 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Lever gun 405g w the holy black(2f) to the base of the bullet, just ever so slightly compressed. Sharps? Same.can use a veggie wad between powder and bullet

Used black powder in the past, would prefer to go smokeless for now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SlickSausage said:

How position sensitive is the powder? I've read some posts in regards to that that make me a bit weary about using it.

Have used that load for years in my Jap '86.

Do NOT use any filler.....

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have used that load for years in my Jap '86.

Do NOT use any filler.....

Keep seeing reports to use filler, or not to use filler. Have you experienced any hang fires yourself while using Unique?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If I did, I wouldn't be using it,  or recommending the load.

Thank you, I'll give it a go. I also saw that it can be used for .38sp / 357mag, do you have any experience with using Unique for those two? Also, how dirty of a powder is Unique?

Edited by SlickSausage
  • Haha 2

I have two 45-70s.  I got into the cartridge years ago shooting an 1874 in BCPR silhouette matches.  I liked a 535 grain postel bullet except for the chickens. That was a lot of bullet to shoot from offhand.  

when I retired, my troops gave me a Marlin 1895 Cowboy.  Love that gun.  I started off with checking out the different offerings of factory hunting rounds.  These were somewhere in the range of 2100 fps.   They also kicked like a mule.   I knew from my experience with black powder cartridges that was really fast.  Heck in the old days they were loading around 1300 fps and killing buffalo with them.  

I loaded up some 405 grain bullets with Trail Boss.  Much easier on the shoulder and the two deer I have taken dropped right there.   I use Trail Boss a lot for that rifle. 

look for Trap Door loads for plinking. 

Edited by sarcasmn
Add

45 minutes ago, SlickSausage said:

Thank you, I'll give it a go. I also saw that it can be used for .38sp / 357mag, do you have any experience with using Unique for those two? Also, how dirty of a powder is Unique?

Unique is all I load my SASS ammo with, including SG.

There's a very good reason why it's called 'Unique'.  :lol:

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=3

No current loading manuals have loads that require fillers.  Too many people were ringing chambers because they improperly inserted the filler.

Unique is an exceptionally versatile powder. Not temperature or position sensitive and works well in large volume rifle cartridges as well as pistol and shotgun loads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1