SASS Wire Forum

Train your brain

Alpo

I just made an interesting discovery.

I play solitaire on my phone. And when I'm winning a game, I'm just flying along. When the game between 2 and 4 minutes.

Screenshot_20240318-121639.thumb.png.c871342c78bd31a952fc35d05a2015cd.png

But I just discovered that while my phone has sideways viewing ability, so I can turn it on its side and still see what I'm looking at, this solitaire game won't rotate.

Screenshot_20240318-121655.thumb.png.f88b0eafc5d32364ddbff742340dbc53.png

And it takes a whole lot longer to play this way. Because the cards aren't oriented the way my mind wants to see them. And I have to retrain my brain.

When I first tried this it took close to 10 minutes. The second game also started off quite slow, but about halfway through I was moving the cards almost as fast as I would if they were oriented correctly. My brain was making the connection.

I'm going to give it a couple of days before I try that again, and see if I can still do it quickly with them sideways.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I just made an interesting discovery.

I play solitaire on my phone. And when I'm winning a game, I'm just flying along. When the game between 2 and 4 minutes.

Screenshot_20240318-121639.thumb.png.c871342c78bd31a952fc35d05a2015cd.png

But I just discovered that while my phone has sideways viewing ability, so I can turn it on its side and still see what I'm looking at, this solitaire game won't rotate.

Screenshot_20240318-121655.thumb.png.f88b0eafc5d32364ddbff742340dbc53.png

And it takes a whole lot longer to play this way. Because the cards aren't oriented the way my mind wants to see them. And I have to retrain my brain.

When I first tried this it took close to 10 minutes. The second game also started off quite slow, but about halfway through I was moving the cards almost as fast as I would if they were oriented correctly. My brain was making the connection.

I'm going to give it a couple of days before I try that again, and see if I can still do it quickly with them sideways.

Let us know when you try it upside-down.

• Haha 3

I just tried that. It's even slower. Part of the reason is because I'm reading 9s as 6s, so I have to really concentrate. And then the numbers are on the wrong side of the cards.

But once I've got a lock on this, I will try it with the top oriented to the right instead of the left.

My brain will either get trained, or implode. One or t'other.

It's like writing left-handed. I can write left-handed, but it's a whole lot slower. My right hand knows how to make the letters that I'm telling it to make. But I have to tell my left hand how to form them.

Unless I do a DaVinci thing, and write backwards with my left hand. That's fairly easy. My left hand does not know quite as well how to form the letters, so my handwriting is sloppier. But it is legible. If you hold it up to a mirror.

Or if you have trained your brain to read backwards. I have, but only with my handwriting.