SASS Wire Forum

1851 fit repair

Come On Christmas

IMG_4019.thumb.jpeg.cef1ce89104f84cdd983d182981da74a.jpegl hope you can see.  The wedge pin won’t seat home.  I’m thinking working on the wedge on either side so it will fit correctly.  The opening is as large as it gets.

Love the gun.  Shot high with tight group.  Only shot six due to wedge problem.  Didn’t have my plastic/rubberized hammer with me.

Is there a good 1851 slick up video?

Gee Pietta’s really slipping I called Cimarron today about my Tuco 45 I’m having to send it to Cimarron.  The firing pin won’t touch the primer.  Cimarron is cooperative.

opps photos not in sequence.  Look at the gap between the flash shield and the cylinder.  The hammer can’t reach the primer.  I have not fired it or taken it apart.  WOW, just wow

IMG_4020.thumb.jpeg.33e5aea655296fb2e93075d68ea96b69.jpeg

Oops photos ARE in sequence.

I don't know why you would want to put the wedge in from the opposite side.  I'll let the percussion guys tackle that.

Regarding the Tuco.  It is Uberti, not Pietta.  The firing pin should be visible in that gap, but is not.  Are you sure the folding safety block on the inside front of the hammer curve is not folded forward?

• Like 2

i thought it was backwards too - think its a taper fit that would account for that maybe , mine are OK if i put it back as it came from the factory , 

The wedge goes in from the left with tab on top. From the side with the screw. You'll probably have to remove or turn the screw if it has an offset. The screw keeps the wedge from falling out when you take the barrel off. The wedge slides right by the screw in some of mine.

Oh my!  Now I found a little plastic piece (why is it plastic?) that folds up I won’t have to send it back!

Yippie!

I’m not wild about the sights.  I guess I need to practice (which is what I was trying to do).

THANKS FELLERS!

8 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The wedge goes in from the left with tab on top. From the side with the screw. You'll probably have to remove or turn the screw if it has an offset. The screw keeps the wedge from falling out when you take the barrel off. The wedge slides right by the screw in some of mine.

Duh! Problem prolly solved.

• Like 1

That folding safety piece is metal in all my guns but they are older, maybe they changed it to plastic?  If it was folded down, then it might be "floppy" and fold down when you don't want it to (at a match).  You can remove that piece and the screw that holds it, although that leaves a hole in the side of the hammer that can be seen when cocked.  Or you can put a little loctite on it so it won't fold forward on its own.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

mine as well , at least on one and sometimes on another - the third does not so far , but it seldom gets taken down , 

im curious of this plastic thingy thats a safety ? explain me please , i have not encountered it in any of my three - a photo would be nice , i even pulled mine out to look i cant find anything like that on any of them , 

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 1

I know this now.  The pistol she no workie when it’s up.

Thanks to Abilene and Eyesa

Edited by Come On Christmas
  • Like 1

As has been stated here - you have your wedge on the wrong side. But, I have another question:  You state this is an 1851 which is a black powder cap gun(note the markings on the barrel).  Then you say you are shooting it using tite group(a smokeless powder) in it.  Am I missing something?  Just curious. 
Good luck in solving your issues. 

• Like 1

bob, he has two guns.  The '51 cap'n'ball and the  Tuco conversion which is 45 Colt.  And the "tight group" was talking about the target, not "tite group" reloading powder.

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks. Smokeless in a cap gun is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Too Tall Bob
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

As has been stated here - you have your wedge on the wrong side. But, I have another question:  You state this is an 1851 which is a black powder cap gun(note the markings on the barrel).  Then you say you are shooting it using tite group(a smokeless powder) in it.  Am I missing something?  Just curious. 
Good luck in solving your issues. 

You misunderstood, may have been the way I phrased it.  I meant I still had a tight grouping although I was shooting high.  I was using 20 grains Pyrodex may try 15.

Just now, Come On Christmas said:

You misunderstood, may have been the way I phrased it.  I meant I still had a tight grouping although I was shooting high.  I was using 20 grains Pyrodex may try 15.

Thanks for the clarification.