SASS Wire Forum

Smithy, But No "Spreading Chestnut Tree"

Subdeacon Joe

Suggested for you  ·   · 

Sod blacksmith shop in Sod Town, Nebraska. c.1886-1887.
In the era of the frontier blacksmith, a skilled artisan and savvy entrepreneur operated a thriving workshop, mastering the craft of crafting horseshoes, mending wagons, and undertaking a myriad of projects. Their expertise extended beyond the forge, encompassing the fabrication and restoration of wheels, as well as the creation of essential farm implements like hoes, plows, and rakes. Remarkably, they even turned their attention to repairing commonplace kitchen utensils.
Preferring versatility over specialization, most blacksmiths recognized the importance of tackling various tasks to sustain their livelihood. Aspiring blacksmiths honed their skills through apprenticeships under seasoned masters, receiving room and board and occasionally earning a modest wage by the mid-19th century.
Resourcefulness was a defining trait of the blacksmith's trade, as they skillfully repurposed scrap metal collected from previous projects, thus avoiding the costs associated with acquiring new materials.
While the specific tools used by blacksmiths varied, certain essentials were universally recognized. Every skilled smith required a forge, a bellows, and an anvil—the foundational implements crucial to their craft.
The forge was the focal point where the blacksmith meticulously heated metal above a charcoal fire, reaching the ideal temperature for manipulation. Operating the bellows skillfully allowed the smith to channel powerful air into the fire, intensifying its heat. The anvil, acting as the final stage in the transformative process, provided a sturdy surface on which the blacksmith expertly shaped their creations.
During the 1800s, the iconic London Pattern anvil emerged as the prevalent design. Its distinctive form had evolved to serve specific functions, with a flat face ideal for precise hammering, strategically placed holes for punching through projects, and a curved horn facilitating the malleability of metal.
With the onset of the Industrial Revolution, the blacksmith's role underwent significant transformation. Some ventured into architectural ironwork, crafting intricate structures, while others seamlessly transitioned into the burgeoning field of automobile mechanics, embracing technological advancements. A select few dedicated their skills to producing custom, ornate iron creations, showcasing the adaptability of the frontier blacksmith in the face of changing times.
More blacksmith history (1850-1930): https://amzn.to/3PHdjWz

May be an image of 4 people and text

• Thanks 4

Geez these were tough people.  I bow in awe to those who survived and built the western United States between the Civil and Spanish American Wars.  My father's parents were among them, Texas from 1859 to 1900, New Mexico until 1922,  then Colorado until 1935 for Grandpa, 1961 for Grandma.  Wishing I could interview them, now.  The hardships they endured...

Look at my Avatar, you will see him.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Geez these were tough people.  I bow in awe to those who survived and built the western United States between the Civil and Spanish American Wars.  My father's parents were among them, Texas from 1859 to 1900, New Mexico until 1922,  then Colorado until 1935 for Grandpa, 1961 for Grandma.  Wishing I could interview them, now.  The hardships they endured...

Look at my Avatar, you will see him.

Yeah.   I look at photos like this, nothing for miles, no trees, little water, a damp soddy, and almost endless labor.   And many had left behind established homes and communities, water and trees aplenty. 

It must have been especially hard on the women.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yeah.   I look at photos like this, nothing for miles, no trees, little water, a damp soddy, and almost endless labor.   And many had left behind established homes and communities, water and trees aplenty. 

It must have been especially hard on the women.

The West was said to be "Hell on horses and women!"

• Like 2

Even here in Sonoma County, I look at some of the houses built in the 1800s, nice trees around them for shade in the summer.  But when they were build, a couple of miles from others, those trees hadn't been planted.  So those houses, and the residents, had no shade.  While it's not humid here, it can be brutally hot at times.  

• Like 1