SASS Wire Forum

Bob Munden trick shooting

Warden Callaway

Howdy Warden.

Thats a good video, especially if a person is a Munden fan.

But I find myself having an issue in the first part of the video at around the 7:30 minute mark.

In this segment, he shoots his 1911 like an auto.   The secret (its really not a secret cause many of us can do it) to this is that he's holding the pistol with

his right hand and his left hand index finger is inside the trigger guard 'slapping' back and forth to achieve that 'auto' firing sequence.

He's not "pulling the trigger real fast", as he states.  He's 'slapping' the trigger.

..........Widder

Bob Munden could be at a county fair selling Vegamatics, and he would have done well.  Met Bob and Becky, and had dinner with them at the SASS Northwest Regional in Idaho in the late 90's.  Walked up to his booth and was looking at all his Ruger, Colt and Uberti single actions.  Told me "pick them up and play with them".  I did, and then he said "Give me you guns and I will make them just as smooth as the ones your playing with'".  Told him I was happy with mine just the way they were.  "Well who did them for you?"  I said Bob James, alias Arizona Thumber.  Then he told me, "Well I told Becky, if and when I die, and anyone asks you who to send their six guns to, tell them Bob James".  I had a fun time with them then, and have always admired his shooting abilities.  Love his "Impossible Shots" videos.

I have this second generation Colt from Mary's brother's estate. He had an old first generation Colt with Army markings. But the gun dealer convinced him it was black powder and traided him out of it.  It was raged out when I first saw it.  I don't know how much wear was on it before Mike got it but it had a lot of problems when I got it. Spring Creek Armory in Ten Sleep Wyoming re-welded the hammer and cut new notches and put action in order.  But look at the hammer.  It's been modified for quick draw. I often wonder who did the work. I'll never know.  Still shoots great.

5a750f27ef568_ColtSAA45ColtFeb2018.jpg.6e5beb68a2b8c994ab212517bfb5db3a.jpg

Spent a few times with him over the years.  One time he and Becky were appearing at an outdoor store's summer exhibition in Pennsylvania.  He had a tent under which a couple of tables were filled with pistols he had worked on.  I went with a couple of buddies, one of whom picked up one of the SAAs, cocked and pulled the trigger.  Bob's head snapped up immediately and I started slowly backing away from the table in the event that he got upset.  He didn't, but old Bill never did that again.  I still have the guns he worked on, and use them every year. 

Archived