Subdeacon Joe

40 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

Is this their equivalent of Taps? 

Just asking because I don't know. 

Thanks, 

BS

It is.  

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/last-post-why-played-remembrance-day/

I see that Alpo beat me to it with my second link, so https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/remembrance-ceremony/11.html

“Last Post” is one of the regulation calls that would be heard in the evening to signal the completion of the setting of night sentinels or sentry posts. “First Post” signaled the mounting of the “guard” or sentry posts. “Last Post” would then be sounded to signal that the camp was secure and that all sentry posts were manned and ready.

For Remembrance Day ceremonies, the use of “Last Post” and “Reveille” (Rouse) is used to draw the symbolic association between the soldier’s last duty of “sitting sentry” (death) and his “rising” above his mortal duties (reveille).

The last note of “Last Post” marks the beginning of the two minutes of silence.

1. During the silence, no musical instrument shall be played, including bagpipes, as this detracts from the purpose of the event which is the quiet reflection on the service and sacrifice of the dead. Following the two-minute period of silence, “Rouse” shall be sounded, after which the official wreaths shall be laid. During the laying of wreaths, the parade shall be in the stand at ease position. History and Heritage Committee Meeting of 14 February 2011, which senior members of each environment took part, the Committee accepted the proposal that a bagpipe Lament may be played during the Remembrance ceremony, as long as the two minutes of silence are observed.

Page details

Archived