SASS Wire Forum

Cut and Weld

Tucker McNeely

What is the hang up with cut and weld?

I’m not a welder.  I’m not a non-destructive testing engineer.  I’m from an industry that heavily relies on welding. So I don’t understand why welding is bad.  

I get that bad welds are an issue and failure rate increases the more humans are involved.  

If the cut and weld is done correctly is that a bad thing?  I tend to lean towards not based on the fact that I have not witnessed a lever that has failed at the weld joint or recall reading a post where a lever has failed at the weld joint.

16 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

What is the hang up with cut and weld?

I’m not a welder.  I’m not a non-destructive testing engineer.  I’m from an industry that heavily relies on welding. So I don’t understand why welding is bad.  

I get that bad welds are an issue and failure rate increases the more humans are involved.  

If the cut and weld is done correctly is that a bad thing?  I tend to lean towards not based on the fact that I have not witnessed a lever that has failed at the weld joint or recall reading a post where a lever has failed at the weld joint.

I'm guessing you are talking about the cut-and-weld method of short-stroking a toggle-link rifle?   It was the first method of short-stroking.   Developed by Cody Conagher and Lone Dude.  Before that, the '92 was THE rifle for CAS.   It is still an effective way of giving you a short-stroke action.  Taylor's sells a rifle with this tyle of short-stroke, The Comanchero.   Quite a number of shooters use Codymatics.   

If I were to compare it to a short-stroke kit, it seems similar to a 3rd Gen short-stroke, and a lot like what you find on the Winchester/Miroku.   While I'm sure a weld can fail, I've not personally seen or heard of one failing.  For that, I'd recommend talking to a gunsmith who works on a lot of these guns.   

Short-stoke kits have progressed past the 'Cut n' Weld', as there are now kits like the Boogie Short Stroke Kit, the Cowboys and Indians 5th Gen Kit, and the Pioneer Super Short Stroke Kit.    But, the main thing is, are YOU satisfied with your rifle?   If so, it's a moot point.

There's no real hang-up with the Cut and Weld method, it was the first short-stroke in use and still being done.   Is everyone satisfied with it?  Is "everyone" ever satisfied with everything?   And it sure beats a stock Uberti rifle for feel and function. 

Shoot and have fun during the coming New Year!  Hope it's a great one.

To answer your questions specifically. The hang up isn't with whether "it" works, but rather why would one do it in today's CAS world. The process of Short Stroking the 66/73 has progressed to the point where the old methodology of C&W is simply outdated.

Can you still C&W? Of course!

Do you keep shooting your C&W rifle? Of course!

Just understand that there are better ways to Short Stroke a 66/73.

Phantom

PS: I think the C&W method yields a stroke closer to the 2nd Gen.

Archived