SASS Wire Forum

Captain George Baylor’s book

Mossy Horn Gent

On 12/9/2023 at 9:56 AM, Scarlett said:

Amazon does NOT own this book. Captain Baylor self-published this book.  He receives commission/royalties of sales. The autographed books I have are books HE got at Author’s price (Amazon is printing the book for him). So buying the book from Amazon IS supporting Captain Baylor. Buying the book from me is supporting Captain Baylor and my business…. :wub:

Hugs!

Scarlett

I was not suggesting Amazon owned the rights to the book, but rather that they own full printing rights and any copies that they have in their warehouse. 

That said, I really thought the high price on the book was due to it being out of print, (a paperback for $50 is almost always an out-of-print gouge price by Amazon), but now that you have replied to the thread with your pricing I see that this is more likely the price that was set by the author.  <--This is not commentary on value, I have not read the book yet and would reserve any value statement until I do.  This is simply an observation that paperbacks at this price are normally out of print books.

I wish I had known you had this sooner Scarlett.  I'm not into autographs but I absolutely believe in supporting those folks that contribute to others within hobbies they love.  I've been browsing your inventory for a few weeks as I'm very likely going to order some ammunition from you in the next week or so and would have been happy to order the book from you as well had I known!  

For those interested here is the link on Scarlett's website:

https://bulletsbyscarlett.live-website.com/shop/Captain-Baylors-Big-Bad-Book-Of-Cowboy-Action-Shooting-Autographed-p601997316

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What the fricken h@*l is a gouge price?

Phantom

A gouge price (or gouged price) is a colloquialism that refers to the price after price gouging occurs. 

I shot with Captain Baylor at the Gunfight at Gamble Gulch this weekend at the Texas Riviera Pistoleros.  He won a $250 gift certificate from a safety glasses company (I forget the name - they are very popular).  He already has those.  He said that if anyone would buy a book he would give them the certificate.  Not sure if anybody took him up on it, but a good deal for somebody!  (I already have the book).

40 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I shot with Captain Baylor at the Gunfight at Gamble Gulch this weekend at the Texas Riviera Pistoleros.  He won a $250 gift certificate from a safety glasses company (I forget the name - they are very popular).  He already has those.  He said that if anyone would buy a book he would give them the certificate.  Not sure if anybody took him up on it, but a good deal for somebody!  (I already have the book).

Probably HD Gold... basically $375 glasses.

Should have just redonated if he wants going to use it.

Phantom

Capt Baylor is a legitimate American Hero. He served with distinction in Vietnam. I’m honored to know him. I bought the book just to have it. There is a lot of good info, especially for new comers. 

Capt Baylor was selling them at our match this weekend. He mentioned he only had 7 left. Not sure if that was all he had total, or all he had with him. Either way, get with Scarlett, she will fix you up. 

On 12/3/2023 at 6:32 PM, Itchy Trigger said:

Does it, haven’t seen an issue in decades?

So old here I just don't have a use for it anymore.  :(

I saw the paperback version on Amazon for $30 shortly after it went on sale but it went back to $50 a few days later. I should have gotten it then. I have the Kindle version but the pictures and diagrams don't always line up correctly with the text. I also prefer physical books.

Archived