SASS Wire Forum

New main spring

Coot

So just got my new main spring from lees in. I read somewhere i should smooth out all the square edges. Does that me the sides and everything? Its all sharp edges.. I have the sand paper bought, just need to know what exactly to smooth out. Thanks fellas!

As long as the spring is not hitting anything, which it shouldn’t, there is no need to smooth it.  Good gunsmiths will temper and polish the spring to get it softer which lowers the hammer tension.  Without experience I don’t recommend doing it. 

If you alter a stock spring...or I suppose an aftermarket spring by grinding and re profiling the spring...you need to polish all the gring marks out so you don't see them anymore. Each grinder mark is a potential breaking or cracking point. A new...un-adulterated spring should be fine as is

Coot,

The "Lee's gunsmithing gunfighter" main spring was my "go-to" spring for action work for a very long time.  They don't actually need any smoothing or polishing.  Just make sure the top end of the spring doesn't drag on the back radius of the hammer.

Archived