SASS Wire Forum

5 shot pepperbox-value?

Rio Hombre

I have this Pepperbox that has been in the family for years. Do not know anything about it. It is a 5 shot, percussion .

Marked C. WUNDER in MANNHEIM on top of frame and MARIETTE BREVETE  on bottom. Appears to be in excellent condition.

Any info you all may have would be appreciated. Also a value range? If I take it to LGS to sell would like to be knowledgeable. 

Thanks.

Pepperbox 1.jpg

Pepperbox 3.jpg

Pepperbox 4.jpg

Pepperbox.jpg

I don’t know the value but I know you will make it worth less if you buff, sand, reblue, or in any way try to “restore” it. Nothing but gun oil is to be used. 

Contact Collectors Firearms in Houston. 
they will give you a good estimate, will likely buy it. (They probably have something similar on their website) 

You don't have a location listed in your portfolio, but I would recommend attending one of the quality "COLLECTOR" shows (not a typical gun show) which is in your area. 

i.e. Texas Gun Collectors Association (tgca.org), which has two meetings  a year.

That's a real beauty!

I've bought blackpowder arms on the MuzzleloadingForum.com, and this would qualify as a muzzle loader.

Ask this question over there, and you'll get some knowledgeable replies. 

You wouldn't be able to sell it without being a member with credence, but you'll get some info about it...

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Contact Collectors Firearms in Houston. 
they will give you a good estimate, will likely buy it. (They probably have something similar on their website) 

Their new shop is like a museum!

They know what they have, and charge a premium for everything, but they could give you a price, and that would be your starting point. 

3 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

You don't have a location listed in your portfolio, but I would recommend attending one of the quality "COLLECTOR" shows (not a typical gun show) which is in your area. 

i.e. Texas Gun Collectors Association (tgca.org), which has two meetings  a year.

You would get a better price from these types of folks than from Collector's Firearms.

CFA is in it for the business, but TGCA and other clubs are in it for the love of collecting.

And this is a lovely little pistol!

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Rio Hombre said:

If I take it to LGS to sell would like to be knowledgeable. 

I bet you would get a better price on this forum or the other locations folks have mentioned above, than at your LGS, unless the LGS is knowledgeable in antique black powder arms. 

Not that I am recommending them, you could get an idea of prices on Gunbroker, search for Antique Pepperbox, and you won't see anything as nice as your pistol.

Again, I wish you good luck.

If your ever in HSTN a trip to Collectors Firearms definitely worth it. Place is like a museum. Most of the long guns are in racks where you can hold and fondle them. The handguns they keep under glass, but are very friendly and will get them out for you when asked. 
they are a little pricey, but by far the largest gun store I’ve ever been in. Everything from blunderbusses to the newest guns there and on display. 

Archived