SASS Wire Forum

1895 issue

Augustus Nichols

Ok, gotva weird one. Have a 75 model 1895 in 45/70. Took it completely down to do a thorough cleaning and when I put it back together,  the bolt won't go all the way back. The weird part is, if I hold the gun upside down, it cycles fine. Get it past horizontal and won't cycle all the way. I've disassembled, inspected and reassembled and can't see the issue. 

GUS,

Before you do anything else, try this little test and then let us know how it works.

1. remove your 'locking lug'.  Thats what I call it.   Its the U shape piece that moves up and down

as you work the lever open and close.

After you remove it, put the rifle back together and see if the action works correctly.

You results will tell me what might be the issue.

EDIT:  make sure the two screws that look alike are in their correct holes.

the shorter screw goes on the left side of the receiver and the longer screw goes

on the bottom front floor plate.

..........Widder

Gus,

Another thought:   If you have a 1975 made Marlin, your carrier is probably the model

that has the 'pivoting arm' in the side of it.

If you've taken that carrier apart and put it back together, its possible the pivot arm

can't pivot when the lever moves across it and it will hang up.

If this is the issue, the reason it works upside down is because the carrier will FREELY move

and allow the lever to move across it without any problem.

I'll await your reply before I have anymore crazy ideas.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

GUS,

Before you do anything else, try this little test and then let us know how it works.

1. remove your 'locking lug'.  Thats what I call it.   Its the U shape piece that moves up and down

as you work the lever open and close.

After you remove it, put the rifle back together and see if the action works correctly.

You results will tell me what might be the issue.

EDIT:  make sure the two screws that look alike are in their correct holes.

the shorter screw goes on the left side of the receiver and the longer screw goes

on the bottom front floor plate.

..........Widder

Yep.  I did this about 3 months ago.

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Gus,

Another thought:   If you have a 1975 made Marlin, your carrier is probably the model

that has the 'pivoting arm' in the side of it.

If you've taken that carrier apart and put it back together, its possible the pivot arm

can't pivot when the lever moves across it and it will hang up.

If this is the issue, the reason it works upside down is because the carrier will FREELY move

and allow the lever to move across it without any problem.

I'll await your reply before I have anymore crazy ideas.

..........Widder

Ok, pulled the breech block, no change. I didn't disassemble the "pivot arm assembly" on the lifter, but, upon inspection this morning, the ramped section on the pivot had a small gouge in it (looked fresh). Lightly filed/sanded back smooth, re assembled and same thing...

Rifle functioned fine before, just clunky and gummed up

Think I got it! Polished the heck out of the pivot ramp. The CLOSELY inspected the lever and rounded and smoothed all sharp edges. Got it reassembled and it fully cycled in the upright position. Had to to a little adjustment on the extractor but now seems to be feeding and ejecting as it should. 

Congratulations GUS.

I had a slight feeling that it had something to do with the pivoting arm on the carrier, BUT....its so darn

hard to recommend some things without looking at the rifle.

BUT, glad you caught the problem and solved it.  The pivoting arm can be a key part in smooth 

functioning of the rifle or give some bad mo-jo if it aint right.

Ya dun gud.   And THANKS for sharing.

..........Widder

Archived