SASS Wire Forum

Old Ruger vaquero to Bisley Conversion?

Bisley Joe

HOwdy,

I have an Old Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt with a 4.75" barrel. This will solely serve as my woods gun-in case of being assailed by a large critter. I plan on loading it with Buffalo Bore or equivalent rounds.

However, I want to to convert it into a Bisley, as it is much more comfortable, for me, to shoot etc. with hot loads.

Any advice on this? Better to sell it and buy a Bisley one?

There was someone here selling a Bisley version, but I lost track.

Also, in the middle of a career change so gathering info for the next month or three until I catch up-unless someone is interested in a trade.

Might try running a Want To Buy ad in the Wire Classifieds, there’s a good chance someone will have the parts that you need. As I M  says it’s an easy conversion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

It's an easy conversion.  Need to replace grip frame, hammer and trigger for the conversion.

Yep, easy and you can still use the stock hammer/trigger if you want. A little different, but will work fine. You can use super Blackhawk hammers too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Apologies for replying so late. Thank you for the replies.

Ordered the Bisley hammer, trigger, and grip frame. The trigger is on back order, so hopefully won;t be too long.

I called Ruger and they can do the conversion, but said to call in a month or so because they are swamped. Wouldn;t mind doing it myself as long as there's no real serious gunsmithing involved.

This will be my woods gun: 45 Colt loaded with Buffalo Bore or similar. It's a blued gun, but I got the frame and hammer (not sure bout the trigger) in stainless. I think it will look interesting, but really it's just for the woods, so nothing to worry about really.

Gotta say, not a fan of Rugers for the historical look (too chunky) but great guns for the woods. I think the new Ruger vaqueros are same size as Colts though-not sure.   I do very much like the Ruger "Bisley" grips. They are, for me, a perfect shape. I believe they are actually the Elmer Kieth #5 or something like that. I have thought of converting a regular plow-handle from Cimarron to that style by keeping the front part of the regular grip frame and adding a Bisley rear part of the frame.

This is because some years ago I had to sell my Bisley revolvers due to life, and still miss them. Having held the #5 style, I prefer that style over both the standard plow-handle version and the standard Bisley version. Of course, I would also swap in a Bisley hammer and trigger.

Come to think of it, maybe better to get a regular Bisley Cimarron and just swap in the regular plow handle front grip frame section.

This conversion should be a parts replacement with maybe some minor fitting. If you can strip your pistol down, it will be no problem.

A good resource is Power Custom; they'll walk you through whatever you need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

This conversion should be a parts replacement with maybe some minor fitting. If you can strip your pistol down, it will be no problem.

A good resource is Power Custom; they'll walk you through whatever you need.

Thanks! I will look into that resource!